How to change the HD on my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi to all.

I'm wondering whether you guys/gals can point me to urls which talk about how to install a HD on my laptop ... if it comes with illustrations, it'll be even better.

TIA! ;)

normally the HD is located below the laptop. With a harddisk icon (several overlapping discs)

Just open up. see how the HD is orientated and just plug out and plug in your new hd.

Put in your WIN XP CD boot up from it and install WIN XP!

Very simple wan.

Adam Goi said:
Hi to all.

I'm wondering whether you guys/gals can point me to urls which talk about how to install a HD on my laptop ... if it comes with illustrations, it'll be even better.

TIA! ;)
You need quite a number of stuff for this job.

1) Lotsa Paitence
2) Screwdriver
3) Delicate hands
4) Delicate eyes (the screws can be really TINY)
5) A hand for mechanics

very simple, just remove the screw (usually one only) near the HD icon found below the laptop. The rule of thumb is try to picture how you remove the HD and install the new one in the exact manner. just remember that this is delicate parts and should be done with caution.

ps. for worst scenario, that the new HD got spoiled.... just claim for the warranty. hehehe :bsmilie:

good luck!

Urm, careful there, the number of screws can be different, if you remove one less, then you might end up tearing the HDD apart as you try to remove it from the data cable.

Apart from there, there's nothing much to worry about... just be careful :) It's pretty simple.

it depends on the brand on notebook. I've found Acers the easiest : slideout tray, then Fujitsu - compartment on the bottom. The worst I've seen is a Compaq Evo - have to remove keyboard and then the CPU heatsink in order to replace the harddisk because the heatsink covers both CPU and harddisk (not kidding, this is stated in their service manual as well).

I am not aware of why you need to install a new hard drive, but, I would think that if it is simply a direct replacement (size wise) 'cause the old one is dead, then ....
You will probably still need to go into the BIOS and let it know about the new hard drive it is dealing with.
:dunno:

I may be wrong, but it wouldn't hurt anyway. :)

Have fun..... the installation of hard disk is just the first step. drivers and software are usually the more tedious process.

1 more thing you guys forgot to mention is the orientation of the pins to the cable. Wrong orientation can result in frying the HDD unless the tray or mount for the HDD has a specific fixed direction to install in.

All in all .. do be careful and have fun. Try to download the service manual and read carefully before you do anything. Good luck.

if still no confident to open, let me know, I have opened dozen of laptops before to replace ram, hard disk and even CPU :D It is just my hobby to open up everything (except my camera), so far none of them spoil.

The next laptop i am going to open is my new ibook, a bit heart pain to open cause it is new set...and there are 50 over screws to remove before i can take out the hard disk, and also risk void the warranty :(

ibookscrew.jpg

You may also want to take note that some laptops have a casing for the harddisk - actually its a piece of mental encasing the HDD(e.g IBM T20) so you may need to remove it and put it on your new HDD.

I shall not volunteer to help you cos I spoilt 2 HDD in a month... I must be jinx.

Hi guys.

Thanks for the pointers; I managed to pull out the Harddisk and it's really a breeze doing that.

HD1.jpg

HD2.jpg

HD4.jpg

Now I need your advice again as I'm looking into getting some other accessories before I can install the new one (I'll be swapping HD from time to time). I've attached a few images which I took of the harddisk. My questions are where can I get racks like as shown in the picture and I also abserved the HD also came with a 'tongue' which allowed me to pull the HD out ... where can I get it and for how much?

Thanks again fellas! ;)

ermmm.... i hopeless out of touch with computer hardware... but here's my take.

(a) to the best of my knowledge there's no swappable hdd racks for laptop, unlike PC. u have to get an external hdd casing (firewire or USB 2.0) from SLS.

(b) the 'tongue' could be something the laptop manufacturer packaged together with ur laptop. u might be able to find this in SLS's shops selling computer odds and ends.

nightwolf75 said:
(a) to the best of my knowledge there's no swappable hdd racks for laptop, unlike PC. u have to get an external hdd casing (firewire or USB 2.0) from SLS.

Hi Sam ... it's my bad that I did not make myself clear. I was referring to the metal encasing the hardisk.

Adam, the hard disk adapter can't be bought from anywhere but your notebook manufacturer. If you are changing your hdd, I don't see why you need another adapter. Just remove the old one for use on your new hdd. And it's not a good idea to swap the hdd this way. You might damage some pins for the connector inside your notebook and that would be expensive to repair. Just get a portable hdd casing that can be supported at the highest speed on your notebook (USB2 or firewire). These are really cheap now.

Hi Adam,

I think Newman and some others are right. Go get a portable hdd casing for your old hdd instead of swoping it time and again. I recently had to do some swopping of my hdd and in the process of taking out doing so, I spoilt both the hdds.

Aiyahh Adam. I'm in IT but what I want to say has been said by others already. i am using IBM and teh hardisk is a breeze to change. Remove one screw and pull it out. Same goes for the RAM. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.