how to change lens quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pai

Nov 24, 2004
Lala Land
www.flickr.com
hmm time for another noob question...

how do event shooters change between a wide lens and a long lens quickly? ok lah, got to anticipate the action, and try to switch during a lull moment... but what if really boh pian?

if wanna be really kiasi, and not spoil camera and lens, then: turn off camera, reverse lens hood, put in front cap, take out lens, put on rear cap, put in bag. take out new lens. remove rear cap. fix on new lens. remove front cap. mount hood. turn on camera. a bit slow right?

then i see the way some pros work... just remove the lens, chuck in bag, take out new lens (hood already mounted, caps never even put on), then just mount new lens. much faster, but i scared front and rear glass kena scratch leh.

so how to do it fast but good?

*edit* i know can use two bodies lah. but cannot afford that solution, so...

pai said:
hmm time for another noob question...

how do event shooters change between a wide lens and a long lens quickly? ok lah, got to anticipate the action, and try to switch during a lull moment... but what if really boh pian?

if wanna be really kiasi, and not spoil camera and lens, then: turn off camera, reverse lens hood, put in front cap, take out lens, put on rear cap, put in bag. take out new lens. remove rear cap. fix on new lens. remove front cap. mount hood. turn on camera. a bit slow right?

then i see the way some pros work... just remove the lens, chuck in bag, take out new lens (hood already mounted, caps never even put on), then just mount new lens. much faster, but i scared front and rear glass kena scratch leh.

so how to do it fast but good?

*edit* i know can use two bodies lah. but cannot afford that solution, so...

if your bag is good, den no problem mah, since dust can blow away, den always leave the lens hood on, den use centre pinch lens cap... rear cap, put dun put also can.. (depends on your style)

den for those who keep changing lenses, either they too much time, or really bo pian, otherwise, 1 lens fits all most of the time... if use digital, try not to change lens so often, cos introduce dust, den sensor kena, ho say liao, for film is different, it will sweep away, den film slide, won't go to the next.

if i use my 18-200 then no need to change lah. but i'm curious how those wedding shooters etc do it... wide lens for some shots, tele for candids.

superzooms got limitations lah. low light focus cannot make it, and max aperture too small. if want fast lenses to cover the whole range, most likely have to switch lenses right?

pai said:
if i use my 18-200 then no need to change lah. but i'm curious how those wedding shooters etc do it... wide lens for some shots, tele for candids.

superzooms got limitations lah. low light focus cannot make it, and max aperture too small. if want fast lenses to cover the whole range, most likely have to switch lenses right?

buy 17-55f2.8 lor... enuff for wide angle to tele liao, if further tele, its voyeur already... :bsmilie:

eh practice...hahahha it makes perfect.....then u know...after u get v used to it u can do it in a nanosecond hahaha

hehe, looks like must do lens-change drill already... got technical handling test or not?

buy two cameras and eqiup one with a super zoom and the other with a super wide loh....

pai said:
hehe, looks like must do lens-change drill already... got technical handling test or not?

got...u wanna gather a platoon? i be your drill instructor....ahhahaha

Why change lens? Have two different lenses on two different cameras... That way sure change lens damn fast... :p

If the pros can do it, so can you. Just have to ensure that's all... Don't just throw your lens inside... I do that too... I'm not pro either...

Andy_Ang: Oooppsss... didn't read the first post... hehe...

If you wish to practise, I'd suggest that you get a lens pounch type bag attached to your waist. You'd need two for optimum changing, as you mentioned, the replacement lens has removed cap for front and rear.

Point camera down, unlock and remove current lens, slide/drop into lens holder/pouch and close cover. Remove the replacement lens from holder/pouch and attach...

If you get it down pat, I guess you can do it in about 5 - 10 secs...

Buy 2 cameras ....
1 with a 17-35mm F2.8 with flash
1 with a 85mm F1.4 without flash .... if you are the nikon user, .... if you are not, then switch over to nikon .... :heart:
need assistant to carry, can look for me too ..... :lovegrin:

yup yup, don have to put back all the cap or reverse ur hood if ur bag is big enuff and have seperate partition for each lens. at the end of the day den clean up all the dust and put back all the cap... thats wat i do when im in a hurry

For me i just use 2 cams (and 2 flashes) actively. However i do use 3 lenses now (2 zooms and 1 prime), just kneel on the floor and change. No special recipe or what what.... :) I do have a lens bag carried on my belt though. And I am aiming for a 2nd prime so it's gonna be worse (85/1.4).

Of coz if it's just for fun, it's a bit hard to do this.Aim for stuff like 18-200 lor, if you don't mind the big hit in quality.

Changing lens is the main reason (and fun) of using SLR/DSLR, camera on the neck, 1 hand hold the 1st lens and 1 hand hold the 2nd lens, need some practise, and try doing it with your eyes closed...

I have been a shooter for 20 years, professionally. Here is how I do it - and it takes about 1-2 seconds.

Assuming you are Nikon, reverse for Canon EOS.

Hold the body in the left hand, lens facing to the right. Grasp the lens in the right hand, thumb closest to you and fingers away.

As you grab the lens, smoothly slide up the lens with your hand and, with the side of your right forefinger, depress the lens release button as you also start to rotate the lens.

Reverse the move to mount a lens just as quickly.

With practice, you can each half of the move in under a second, easily. Start slow and smooth. Then progress.

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.