how to carry a tripod while riding a bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little_Zeus

Jul 19, 2005
Toa Payoh
need help
how do you normally put the tripod on a mountain bike?
i need to travel by my bike for taking pictures on the way.
need both good protection and easy access for my equipment. for camera and lens i can use a sling or backpack, but for tripod, what shall I do?
1228 and ball header are not cheap, once drop --->:bheart:

Thanks

if you can sling or backpack your camera why not the tripod?
for me velcro to the bike frame no problem.

Little_Zeus said:
need help
need both good protection and easy access for my equipment. for camera and lens i can use a sling or backpack, but for tripod, what shall I do?

Thanks

put the tripod on either left or right side by attaching it to a rope or something ?

or sling the tripod behind you ... not infront !!

Mount it on the stem and use it as yr handle bar loh.;p

Some camera backpacks allow you carry the tripod on the outside.

carefully ....

tripod break nevermind, in a mishap the tripod will come into contact with the rider
and bones can break

Little_Zeus said:
need help

Thanks

You must have a rear rack for your bike and the design of the rack will depend whether it is a hard tail or a double suspension. The picture here shows a rear rack on a double suspension mountain bike.

Put the camera bag on the rack and fasten it with rubber band then tie the tripod along the side of the rack with the head of the tripod resting on the camera bag. Use more rubber band which you can get from the bike shop to make the tripod more secure and make sure you tighten it properly.

Enjoy shooting with a proper tripod.

347Tripod_on_Bike-med.jpg

forward said:
You must have a rear rack for your bike and the design of the rack will depend whether it is a hard tail or a double suspension. The picture here shows a rear rack on a double suspension mountain bike.

Put the camera bag on the rack and fasten it with rubber band then tie the tripod along the side of the rack with the head of the tripod resting on the camera bag. Use more rubber band which you can get from the bike shop to make the tripod more secure and make sure you tighten it properly.

Enjoy shooting with a proper tripod.

347Tripod_on_Bike-med.jpg

yeah, very good suggestion.
but i still prefer to put the camera bag back on my body. so the camera bag will have meat suspension. :D

Little_Zeus said:
yeah, very good suggestion.
but i still prefer to put the camera bag back on my body. so the camera bag will have meat suspension. :D

Alternatively get a basket instead of the camera bag on the rear rack and you can still hang the tripod the same way. If you are riding on long journey you have to give your back a break, as the camera bag is heavy.

By converting the hardtail bike into a touring bike with the camera bag tucked smartly on the rear basket as shown I have no problem with the camera getting the unnecessary bump. Moreover when out exploring on the bike, you ride slowly absorbing the view and if even on the track you still can avoid all the camera movement by having sufficient foam device for better protection of your equipment.

Without the heavy camera bag on the back while riding, I have better mobility. I learned this from riders who had accomplished great distance on their touring bikes and yet enjoy their photography.

347Tripod_on_Bike_2.jpg

-------------------------------
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive. :)

by looking at the photos

there is a small chance the tripod may jam the spokes by accident

which is very dangerous

so its better to sling it across your back or sling it across your torso

user111 said:
by looking at the photos

there is a small chance the tripod may jam the spokes by accident

which is very dangerous

so its better to sling it across your back or sling it across your torso

Not true at all. The tripod will never have a chance to touch the spokes as there is enough room between them for any kind of accident. The tripod is tightly secured and will not have any movement at all when the bike is on the road or track.

Many of the people using their touring bikes to carry their tripods this way works for them. Personally I have been travelling around with the tripod on the hardtail for many years. You can carry the tripod across your back if you wish and there is no hard and fast rule which is right or wrong. Just sharing one way to do it while riding with your body free from stress. Happy riding!

be it bicycle or motorbike....many around the world had made it far with their equipment and tripod for their journey.

my friend with his Nikon F5 and a Canon G6 with all 60kg++ lugguages and a almost 2kg tripods had rode his motorcycle all the way from Singapore to France(10 months). And to add on, he been thru the toughest road along his touring journey at cambodia...india...iran..etc..before reaching europe.

don't just let the tripod hinders you!

Status
Not open for further replies.