How to Carry a Heavy Tripod on a Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys,

Just like to ask, how does one carry a heavy tripod onto a plane? I'm trying to avoid checking in any luggage so it would be good if I can carry it on board - the question is, how do I carry it on board? In the hand carry bag? Just sling over shoulder?

Thanks!

Will the staff stop me from carrying it on my shoulder into the plane? It looks pretty big and heavy if u ask me...I'm carrying a Manfrotto 455

ortega said:
sling over your shoulder
if you put it in the bag, sure to kena check

i carried manfrotto 455 with a 168 head into the cabin in many occasions and many airlines, once even strapped onto gadrian's protrekker.
generally it's ok. if u wanna be safe, just dun let the staff at the check-in counter see it can liao.

So basically when I check in, I just ask someone to hang on to my 455 and barang and go and check in.

AFTER checking in then I bring my barang into the boarding area and onto the plane?

Clown said:
i carried manfrotto 455 with a 168 head into the cabin in many occasions and many airlines, once even strapped onto gadrian's protrekker.
generally it's ok. if u wanna be safe, just dun let the staff at the check-in counter see it can liao.

vince123123 said:
So basically when I check in, I just ask someone to hang on to my 455 and barang and go and check in.

AFTER checking in then I bring my barang into the boarding area and onto the plane?
yup =)

There is some risk that the security people may not let you hand carry it, simply because it can theoretically be used as a weapon. Once I was at CP and someone sent his ballhead in for repairs. What happened was that when he tried to board the plane with his tripod, they stopped him and insisted that he checked in. He was in a rush so he forgot to take his ballhead out. So after some very cold temperatures at the cargo area, his ballhead frozed!

Hmm so sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't....any other user's experiences? To sling or put inside the hand carry bag?

jumbocrab said:
There is some risk that the security people may not let you hand carry it, simply because it can theoretically be used as a weapon. Once I was at CP and someone sent his ballhead in for repairs. What happened was that when he tried to board the plane with his tripod, they stopped him and insisted that he checked in. He was in a rush so he forgot to take his ballhead out. So after some very cold temperatures at the cargo area, his ballhead frozed!

vince123123 said:
Hmm so sometimes they stop and sometimes they don't....any other user's experiences? To sling or put inside the hand carry bag?

I did it many times, sling and in bag (hand-carry) - so far none check on me. In fact, during one of my recent domestic china flight, they were more concerned about my oversize pen than the tripod.

I think it really depends on the ground crew before you board the plane.

I have seen many a times pp whom bought golf clubs at the duty free being asked to checked in their clubs. Needless to say, many temperatures were raised too.
Once or twice they took the clubs for safekeeping then returned it upon arrival.

i think that you should put the tripod in a opaque bag... so that otheres will not see it... so the ground crew will not suspect anything... usually the x-ray machine will pass one... so you can just bring it up the plane...

if you were to just sling it.. ie in plain sight... there's a chance that air crew may stop you.... depending on which airline... which destination etc etc... yups...

for me... so far so good... can bring up all the time...

I tink you're right. it all depends on how on-the-ball the ground crew is before boarding the aircraft. i saw one guy once tried to handcarry a manfrotto 190proB and was stopped by the crew and told to keblakanpusing, check-in the tripod and join back the queue....:embrass:
dreamseeker said:
I think it really depends on the ground crew before you board the plane.

I have seen many a times pp whom bought golf clubs at the duty free being asked to checked in their clubs. Needless to say, many temperatures were raised too.
Once or twice they took the clubs for safekeeping then returned it upon arrival.

SIA let me bring my tripod with ballhead handheld w/o a bag onto the plane. Service with a smile too. Then requested that they take my tripod for safekeeping in the captain`s cabinet.

May I ask please?

Unless you are travelling so light that you have no checked-in luggage, why do you want to carry a "heavy" tripod?

I wouldn't mind they taking my tripod for safekeeping, so long as I don't have to check it in.

TMC said:
SIA let me bring my tripod with ballhead handheld w/o a bag onto the plane. Service with a smile too. Then requested that they take my tripod for safekeeping in the captain`s cabinet.

No checked in luggage because the trip is only 2 days and I'm going in a group so I don't want to hold up the group by waiting around for my checkinng in.

Heavy tripod because there's an event during those two days which would require the use of a good tall tripod.

student said:
May I ask please?

Unless you are travelling so light that you have no checked-in luggage, why do you want to carry a "heavy" tripod?

are you planning to use your 455 between the time you hand carried it in at the airport of departure till you leave the airport of your destination?

if you think it is 'pretty big and heavy' and may not fit within the spec of hand carry bag, then it is reasonable to expect that you may be stopped from hand carrying it in.

vince123123 said:
Will the staff stop me from carrying it on my shoulder into the plane? It looks pretty big and heavy if u ask me...I'm carrying a Manfrotto 455

Status
Not open for further replies.