How to capture good fireworks shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unanimos

Sep 2, 2006
I'm currently using Sony DSC-W50 cybershot. Can somebody teach me how to use this camera to capture the best fireworks shots? Cos everytime it's either the shots get delayed when I try to capture fireworks shots or the image gets fuzzy.

Do a search around the forum, there is another discussion at the canon thread. Basically, you need:
1) Wide angle lens
2) Tripod
3) Bulb mode or timer mode

Settings:
Aperture: f8-11
Shutter: Depending on your preference. Can range from 0.5s to 2s
ISO: 100 or the lowest

Thread not related to DI

Thread moved to newbies section.

Do a search around the forum, there is another discussion at the canon thread. Basically, you need:
1) Wide angle lens
2) Tripod
3) Bulb mode or timer mode

Settings:
Aperture: f8-11
Shutter: Depending on your preference. Can range from 0.5s to 2s
ISO: 100 or the lowest

this setting will work???

you wanna try?

sorry...i not a pro or what...so i asking...you got sample to show? for exposure at 0.5 to 2s at f8~11 ISO100...i like to see...maybe you can teach everyone in cs a trick or two...

Here are some shots taken some time back with the different shutter speed used.

#1 - abt 0.5s
833429194_c96e19df85.jpg

#2 - abt 4s
833429214_4798210369.jpg

See the difference?

Here are some shots taken some time back with the different shutter speed used.
See the difference?

sorry...not a pro...cannot tell the differences at all...maybe you can explain...so everyone can learn from you...can help us newbie...

sorry...not a pro...cannot tell the differences at all...maybe you can explain...so everyone can learn from you...can help us newbie...

With smaller aperture, you need longer exposure. The trails are finer. However, if they shoot too many fireworks altogether, you can get 1 big blur. That is why I really hate the final climax.

Here is one shot of mine taken during SFF06. Shot with F14, 6 secs. Anyway, I count manually...one thousand....two thousand....;)

large.jpg

A question, as the range of shutter speed as mentioned earlier (0.5s to 6s) is rather wide and that the aperture is fixed, won't you get different exposures? What I'm trying to say is, won't the background be overexposed at say 6 seconds when 2 secs at f11 is the correct exposure?

NOt sure i phrased my questions clearly enough...

A question, as the range of shutter speed as mentioned earlier (0.5s to 6s) is rather wide and that the aperture is fixed, won't you get different exposures? What I'm trying to say is, won't the background be overexposed at say 6 seconds when 2 secs at f11 is the correct exposure?

NOt sure i phrased my questions clearly enough...

It would be easily to get your background properly expose with photoshop and a properly expose background picture.
However fireworks is not so easy to get once it fireoff, concentrate on taking the fireworks and get the background done behind the scene when possible.

As in take a properly exposed shot of the background before any fireworks? And then to merge them (or something similar) in photoshop? Good idea!

Err... I always expose for the buildings at f11/13, iso 200, bulb mode, usually 2 - 6 sec for the begining and mid, 1 - 2 sec for the finale..

Most of the time the pictures are decent though not pro la..

OT abit...

Try including some buildings or interesting foreground whenever possible, coz fireworks themself are overshot and boring if just taken alone.
It looks nice when you're seein it live but a mth later when you look at the pics again, it'll just look like another fireworks from anywhere else on the planet.

:)

358049733_df9488a73f_o.jpg

358049656_a26ec12c66_o.jpg

Tripod, pre-focus, relatively small aperture (f/8 or smaller), timer (or remote), long exposure (depending on what kind of firework)

With smaller aperture, you need longer exposure. The trails are finer. However, if they shoot too many fireworks altogether, you can get 1 big blur. That is why I really hate the final climax.

Here is one shot of mine taken during SFF06. Shot with F14, 6 secs. Anyway, I count manually...one thousand....two thousand....;)

large.jpg

wah...nice photo...btw...care to help newbies in taking more firework as national day and the SFF is coming...

saw this photo online...

what kind of setting is used? cause it looks very under exposed

864091424_401e7786a3_o.jpg

can only use manual focus tune to infinity?

nice shots man. so base on those reply can i assume that you need a professional camera to help take fireworks and a normal camera like my Sony DSC-W50 cybershot will never be able to capture good shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.