How to buy lens from amazon

jamesaw

May 26, 2009
Hey morning CS !

I am new to amazon and I wanted to buy few lens from there. However upon making payment, realised amazon can ONLY ship within US. I know they can ship DVD, books to any destination.

Anyone can give me advise what is the procedure in order for me to make the transation.

Many thanks!

One option, if you have singpost account, you can ask amazon to deliver to the designated PO box address in US, singpost will then deliver to Singapore. Take note, anything above $400 is subject to GST.

this 400 dollars is usd or sgd?

thanks. one more thing. how do they charge the 7%.
direct from the website or seperately?

i think singpost will be the one to charge it to you (the 7%), or more aptly, singapore customs they won't charge it upon check out. So factor in the cost of shipping + taxes if the good are above 400sgd converted currency.

thanks. one more thing. how do they charge the 7%.
direct from the website or seperately?

separately of course. When it arrives at the shipping address, they weigh it, calculate the shipping costs, and if the value of shipping + the items is above 400sgd, add the 7% GST.

Let me help you.

Amazon does ships to Singapore, I bought books there before, back in 2006/2007. Maybe now changes.

Best place to buy camera gear out of those few US big chains is BH for brand new and Keh for used gear.

GST collection depends on your shipping method. Courier services like Fedex, DHL, UPS, TNT, etc, the delivery guy will call you in advance to let you know how much, on his arrival at your door, you pay. Postal services via USPS to our Singpost, is dependent on luck. Sometimes the package is not flagged for GST. So you heng heng no need to pay. But if it is flagged for GST payment, one of the few things will happen:

a) postman sends to your door and collect GST from you,

b) postman sends to your door and left, but you receive an invoice/bill from Singpost for GST charges later.

c) package gets detained by Customs and you go there with proof of purchase/invoice/paypal printout, etc and pay, if its not a purchased item, Customs will assess the value and charge you GST accordingly to market price, even if its your own Rolex watch you left behind during your holidays to uncle Joe's farm and after uncle Joe ships to you, you get slapped with GST.

Last edited:
1. vpostusa (under singpost) - they will give u a US address so amazon delivers to that address, you have the option to consolidate all your orders from US to be shipped back to SG. Note: if you order from amazon, make sure u ask for compact packaging else your shipping fee will cost you a bomb!

2. borderlinx - very similar to vpostusa, got affiliation with Citibank

i got bad to worst experience with vpostusa... will try borderlinx when i have chance.

Let me help you.

Amazon does ships to Singapore, I bought books there before, back in 2006/2007. Maybe now changes.

Best place to buy camera gear out of those few US big chains is BH for brand new and Keh for used gear.

GST collection depends on your shipping method. Courier services like Fedex, DHL, UPS, TNT, etc, the delivery guy will call you in advance to let you know how much, on his arrival at your door, you pay. Postal services via USPS to our Singpost, is dependent on luck. Sometimes the package is not flagged for GST. So you heng heng no need to pay. But if it is flagged for GST payment, one of the few things will happen:

a) postman sends to your door and collect GST from you,

b) postman sends to your door and left, but you receive an invoice/bill from Singpost for GST charges later.

c) package gets detained by Customs and you go there with proof of purchase/invoice/paypal printout, etc and pay, if its not a purchased item,Customs will assess the value and charge you GST accordingly to market price, even if its your own Rolex watch you left behind during your holidays to uncle Joe's farm and after uncle Joe ships to you, you get slapped with GST.

does that mean that the customs will charge based on their understanding of the market value or how much i paid for the item?
sorry cos i really dun understand here.

does that mean that the customs will charge based on their understanding of the market value or how much i paid for the item?
sorry cos i really dun understand here.

If you have a receipt, it's based on that. Otherwise, it's up to them and what they find via google.