How to buy from amazon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpot99

Feb 22, 2005
north
Hi. Anyone have any experience buying from Amazon through Vpost? Am thinking of ordering a lens and some accessory through Amazon but is not sure:dunno: about the following.

1. Is the price stated in Amazon SGD or USD? the price seems abit low for SGD but too high for USD and they did not state clearly.

2. Is it better to buy more at 1 go to save on shipping or is it the same price?

3. How long will shipping take? There seems to be a free shipping promotion at Amazon but the shipment states it ship in 2 - 4 mths
http://vshopusa.vpost.com.sg/aom/shop.php?c=15&n=493964&i=B000FBFXY2&a=buy&m=New&p=1&x=Sigma_30mm_f14_EX_DC_HSM_Lens_for_Olympus_and_Panasonic_Digital_SLR_Cameras

4. Any other things to take note?

Hi. Anyone have any experience buying from Amazon through Vpost? Am thinking of ordering a lens and some accessory through Amazon but is not sure:dunno: about the following. I haven't ordered cameras/lens from the Amazon yet, but have done it on books and photography accessories.

1. Is the price stated in Amazon SGD or USD? the price seems abit low for SGD but too high for USD and they did not state clearly. Yep, the good o' USD.

2. Is it better to buy more at 1 go to save on shipping or is it the same price? That's where mass order comes in useful. Since I don't think you're gonna order a container load of stuffs, the shipping is the same so long you don't go for their express services.

3. How long will shipping take? There seems to be a free shipping promotion at Amazon but the shipment states it ship in 2 - 4 mths It depends. My previous experience on books and accessories took about 3 weeks, and I have been a satisfied customer so far.

4. Any other things to take note? Do scout for your items locally as the shipping cost is quite hefty if you're going to order just a couple of stuffs. If you can get it locally, why not? Save the troubles in waiting or worse, for any after-sales requirements.

My two-cents.:)

Note that warranty can be another problem. Amazon products - some are US local warranty, no international warranty.

I have bought once from amazon via singapore's vpost service

Vpost might offer cheaper rates on shipment to singapore but u need to do the homework of calculating the dollars and cents involved.

Sometimes if it is not much cheaper i would just get it from singapore.

Ryan

Thanks for all the great informations:thumbsup: Maybe will try it out one of these days if there is a really good deal

Hi flowerpot99,

I have bought many times via Amazon and through VPOST. So here is my 2 cents worth.

As you already know, Amazon is a site based in USA so all the price shown is in USD. The product listed there are not all sold directly by Amazon. Some are sold through retailers on the Amazon website. For those sold directly by Amazon, as long as you purchase more than USD25, you get free shipping within USA. This will be good for the shipping from Amazon to your VPOST USA address. Those items sold by retailers will normally have a shipping charges to USA, and normally quite reasonable, but you will have to take this cost as part of the consideration. Some retailers do give free shipping above certain amount so you will have to look closely.

Then, there is the VPOST shipping cost to consider. It will be based on a base charge (depending on what you purchase) + per item shipping charge (by actual weight or volumetic i.e. they will take the diemension of the box and check out the volume, they will use the higher of the 2). If you buy at one go, that means you will pay only 1 base charge. But do take note that anything above SGD400 (item cost + shipping cost) will mean you have to pay a 7% GST charge. So you have to weigh the difference.

Shipping within the USA usually takes about 3days to 1 week depends on shipping method, then there is a processing time for VPOST USA to sort out the goods, which take about 1-3 days, followed by shipment to Singapore (after you have paid the shipping charges) which takes another week.

You have to do your sums correctly to see if it is worth it. I used this method to buy stuff from Amazon and eBay US and some are really good buy. But do take note that Amazon tends to ship in oversize box (for protection) which also means higher shipping charges usually charged by VPOST (due to higher volumetic weight). Look out for shipping weight indicated in the items description in Amazon but if the volumetic weight is higher, remember VPOST will always take the higher one.

Time to time VPOST offers shipping discount/rebates so you might want to check out VPOST website and see what is their current promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.