How to buy a new Lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topster

Nov 22, 2005
Can some of you veterans out there share with me some wisdom when purchasing a new lens from any retail outlet?

Do u test several copies of the same lens to get the sharpest copy? What kind of tests do you perform?

Will the retailers allow this?

Any other stuff to look out for before taking the plunge? :confused:

1. check out your photography habits. what do you like and prefer to take? pick a lens from that range. ie Macro or Tele.

2. check out your budget. how much are you willing to afford? from that range, select a few that you might be interested. check out 3rd party ones as well.

3. check out your friendly camera shop. list the few lenses you might be interested in, ask him show u each copy and test them out. pick the lens which you feel comfortable holding and displays the better image quality as compared to the other lenses on your list.

i don't really do those tests, taking photos of charts or what. just try it out on your preferred subject matter. might want to take into consideration the filter size as they contribute to the extra spending. UV/CP filters, rings for filter holders, lens hood etc.

I already have a lens in mind :D Just wanted to know whether the rest of you insist on getting the sharpest/best copy there is in the shop. Or is it all gut feeling?

I would try to get the best if time and money allows or get the best thing available with my current resources, if I really need it urgently.

Can you actually test a few copies of the lens in the Shop??? You bring laptop and pixel peep in the shop?

I just test if the lens is functional. Sharpness is heng suay... Is this the norm or do most people try out a few copies of the same lens?

topster said:
I already have a lens in mind :D Just wanted to know whether the rest of you insist on getting the sharpest/best copy there is in the shop. Or is it all gut feeling?

Hi topster,

I presume you are taking about lens to lens variation for a certain brand of (lets say) 50 f1.8 lens, will there will performance differences? If that what you mean?

I guess it will be best to take your camera and try to shoot to find out. But I believe that the manufacturing of SLR lens are measured in terms of micron or more precision, so variation might still be present but maybe not detectable by the naked eyes, but please don't quote me.

Francis247 said:
Hi topster,

I presume you are taking about lens to lens variation for a certain brand of (lets say) 50 f1.8 lens, will there will performance differences? If that what you mean?

Yup. Thats what i mean exactly.

there probably would be but due to QC, i don't think the variations would be that great.
the only question lies: do they have enough copies to let u test?

Horsba85 said:
there probably would be but due to QC, i don't think the variations would be that great.
the only question lies: do they have enough copies to let u test?

:bsmilie: That is a good one.
But seriously speaking, all you can do is to try out the lens on your camera, take a few pictures and then try to inspect for dust or particles inside and outside the lens. Try the focusing ring to see if you like the feel. If you like it, I don't think it is necessary to test another lens, just my 2 cents worth.

PS : I miss out a lot of details in the "QC" process, but as a careful buyer and interest in your investment, I believe you can do a more detailed check.

shops like MSC and the likes only have 1 or 2 copies on the shelves. for more, they'd have to go back to their distributor. which is why instead of checking several of the same lens, i recommended you try several brands and models to pick the best of the bunch.

hi topster , like to seek your permission to ride on your thread.

I am thinking of buying a new lenses too , but i am using a film slr camera. I am thinking of loading the lenses on my camera n take a few shots n develope the prints before buying the lenses.

do u think the shops will accomodate such requests ? or will i be treated like an oddball ???

Chiang said:
hi topster , like to seek your permission to ride on your thread.

I am thinking of buying a new lenses too , but i am using a film slr camera. I am thinking of loading the lenses on my camera n take a few shots n develope the prints before buying the lenses.

do u think the shops will accomodate such requests ? or will i be treated like an oddball ???
I think if you buy 2nd hand lens they will allow you to do that.

Buying new one is different. They will say all their new lenses are good.

Regards,
Arto.

No problem Chiang, however i find your situation alittle too troublesome. Im quite sure a respectable shop would 'loan' a digital SLR for you to fiddle with the lens instead of waiting for your film to be developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.