How to buy a camera and NOT leave Feeling Cheated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

athenian

Nov 1, 2004
Hi

Any tips on how to drive a hard bargain for a best price for a camera?

Apart from the normal sourcing around for the shop that seems to give the best price, I feel that there are little things which may make a difference:

1) Whether they allow you to pay by credit card or NETs/Cash. The reason being apart from being afraid of fraud, credit card charges is like 1% to 5% and so it may mean eating into their profit by S$25 for a S$500 purchase.

2) Whether they bring out a BRAND NEW set or a set that has already been opened before, inspected and rejected previously because of a scratch or other reason. Once you leave the shop, its is tooooo late to get it changed unless the customer service is really good.

3) Whether you are forced to fill in the warranty card? :think: In the past, most did not require or still do not require it to be filled on the spot. You could 'extend' the warranty by a few months by claiming that the receipt was lost or other reason later. Only when the camera was actually lost would you need to fill in the warranty card.

:bigeyes:

What do you think? Too much thought into a small matter?

Not necessarily, but certainly posting the same thing in multiple forums is. I have deleted the duplicate posts, please refrain from multiple duplicate postings in future.

I do not get your definition of cheating...

I do not really understand number 1....

Number two, you should always check the product anyways with your own camera body. the serial number is on the warranty card if you are worried it is second hand. What do you mean brand new? you mean if you go in to test the lens, they can't sell it after that? Scratches can come from manufacturing fault, like handground fararri windshields.

Number 3.... is a big "huh?"
If the camera was damage past the warranty period, thats not the shop's fault what, cause it seems to me your thread is about shops cheating people. If you want to claim a reciept is lost, i think you'll be the one cheating.

I say, know the market price ask CSers, ask your camera kahkis and stay in the know about prices, shop around. It helps to have a regular camera guy, I deal with the same guy weather prices are high or low, and give myself a $50 fluctuation budget, cos in return I get good service. And that comes with favours like unfilled warrranties, reserving of set and prices and what not.

I think it's important to not think the world is out to cheat you... and just be polite and friendly, aways walk away and re-consider first lor...

Once you bought it, stop thinking about the possibilities that you can get it @ a better price elsewhere.

The fact is, you can't undo it. Move on and concentrate on getting the most out of your equipment ... go out and shoot! ;)

1) Whether they allow you to pay by credit card or NETs/Cash. The reason being apart from being afraid of fraud, credit card charges is like 1% to 5% and so it may mean eating into their profit by S$25 for a S$500 purchase.

Why shops charge extra 2% or 3% is because of the credit card company will charge the shop because u use the creditcard... creditcard company will charge the shop not u... so after giving u a good bargain... and the shop still have to absorb the charges from the credit card company they would be making a lost... if u don't to pay the 2-3% more....pay nets/cash....
2) Whether they bring out a BRAND NEW set or a set that has already been opened before, inspected and rejected previously because of a scratch or other reason. Once you leave the shop, its is tooooo late to get it changed unless the customer service is really good.
Check for any seal broken... usually camera don't....this will depend on urself too....look thru the camera for any scratch... LCD/EVF got dead pixel or not

athenian said:
Hi

Any tips on how to drive a hard bargain for a best price for a camera?

Apart from the normal sourcing around for the shop that seems to give the best price, I feel that there are little things which may make a difference:

3) Whether you are forced to fill in the warranty card? :think: In the past, most did not require or still do not require it to be filled on the spot. You could 'extend' the warranty by a few months by claiming that the receipt was lost or other reason later. Only when the camera was actually lost would you need to fill in the warranty card.

:bigeyes:

What do you think? Too much thought into a small matter?

Morale of the Story ..... Do your homework first before plunging into it. ....

For

1) Normal Nets they do not charge extra as Nets only charge them 0.003% commission for the purchase. For Visa / Mastercard / Amex, by right they should not charge as their contract with the Bank is they will not charge extra to the customers. But they normally charge 3% - 5% extras under the pretext of "GST".

2) Inspection is always required, but it is also up to the buyer.

3) Warranty is void if it is not filled within 14 days of purchase, even more so since nowadays they required receipt as proof of purchase for the warrenty to be enforceable. You are cheating when you fill in the warranty a few months late and you still want to sound you are in the right? The company can reject your request for the warranty to be enforced as you had bleach a condition by claiming the receipt is lost. But when you sent back the warrenty on time, they had a record to prove you had purchased it on certain date and they will be more obliging in servicing your camera.

The short answer to your question is to do your homework before handing over the cash.

Doing your homework involves finding out which is the cheapest place to buy it from, which is the most reliable (ie not likely to pull a fast one on you) place, more often than not the two aforementioned attributes are mutually exclusive.

Whichever place you buy at, you must check for a valid warranty, a new out of the box set (ie not display set), one without obvious signs of having been used, torn-open software or hardware plastic bags which suggests that someone had bought this one before and returned it, matching serial numbers on camera, warranty card, and box. Check that all listed items are included.

Also, make a list of the accessories you will need as well, common items are batteries and memory cards. Sometimes shops sell you the camera at a great price but charge unreasonably for these accessories, so check on these item prices as well. If you're unsure of the prices of the accessories, don't buy them, you can get them elsewhere or later after you're sure of prices.

I've shopped at these dodgy shops more than once, sometimes with good outcomes, sometimes with bad outcomes, so be on your toes, or bring an experienced friend along.

Easiest way is pay what you think is a fair price and forget everything. Don't even bother to ask around again AFTER you buy something.

rule #1: do not change your mind to buy another camera model while you are at the shop because of sales talk. you have done your research, trust it.

rule #2: make sure the camera comes with ALL the required accesories and bundled items (if applicable).

rule #3: inspect the camera thoroughly and test to make sure it is working.

good luck!
:cool:

But generally you do get better prices if you deal in cash terms.

I thought I had the best deal on recommendation that this shop in AMK gave the best deal. It was a good price, better than that advertised. I thought my negotiation skill was good. I was wrong. :bsmilie:

However, shortly after, I discover that there was another shop in TP that offered the same deal at a cheaper price plus an additional free gift. :confused:

SLS is a good place? I think worse. What about Lucky P?

Peace to the businessmen... ;p

lucky p is the same, if not worse. cavet emptor!

I say once you make a purchase, stop looking at the prices at other shops. So you will not feel "cheated"

I tell friends,"wait till I have bought one; you can BET that the price will drop a week later". It always does !!!
Its like they have spies that report back to head office and say,"He bought a X2XXX... we can drop the price on that now". :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

camera and electronic stuff arel like that one la... reasearch your price by doing your homework.. going to different shops and asking the price and accessories that com with it.... once done, go to cheapest one and buy lo.... after that, guarantee price will drop one, due to new models coming out etc.... they didn't cheat you when you first bought... it was at that price than....

the other thing is some people dun mind paying a bit more for better customer service... i have some friends who buy things from certain place when they know other places sell a bit cheaper, but they still buy from the slightly more expensive place... their reason: better customer service... the sales tell you more about the things they buy, by doing a genuine comparision and advice etc..

its all up to you one la.... if you think its worth that price, then pay and take the goods and go enjoy it.... once walk out of the shop, dun look back liao.... just go home and play with the camera and make full use of it.... hee hee :)

cheers.......

erictan8888 said:
camera and electronic stuff arel like that one la... reasearch your price by doing your homework.. going to different shops and asking the price and accessories that com with it.... once done, go to cheapest one and buy lo.... after that, guarantee price will drop one, due to new models coming out etc.... they didn't cheat you when you first bought... it was at that price than....

the other thing is some people dun mind paying a bit more for better customer service... i have some friends who buy things from certain place when they know other places sell a bit cheaper, but they still buy from the slightly more expensive place... their reason: better customer service... the sales tell you more about the things they buy, by doing a genuine comparision and advice etc..

its all up to you one la.... if you think its worth that price, then pay and take the goods and go enjoy it.... once walk out of the shop, dun look back liao.... just go home and play with the camera and make full use of it.... hee hee :)

cheers.......
Yes, electronic stuff like cameras, cars, clothes are like thats. In this case, it was a promotion that will last some time and that promotion price has not changed. As that price had not changed, I assume that the cost is the same too.

I had checked around several places for the price at the same model. In fact, my relative works in one of those larger controlled stores. I got a price from her and then went to one of those shops recommended here. :thumbsup:

I asked by XXXX price straightforward as I did not want to spend more time on the camera. My price was denied with some bull about eating into cost. I gave in only to find a much better deal just a week later without any need to waste my breathe.- That is what upset me. :(

Sure, the economics are that overheads are different, they have to cover cost blah blah blah. This shop offering a better deal is not even mentioned in this forum. :bigeyes: So for those out buying a new camera and no need for customer service and not likely to go get additional accesories in future, shop around and while the popular shops here give good prices, there may be other shops giving better which you may not have thought of.

And, it is true that now that I have bought it, I should just go and enjoy it.

:)

Maybe it is just a 'face' & 'pride' thing?

athenian, dont get paranoid. i'm sure you can buy something with a friend who knows all these stuff so you don't have to sweat in fear and doubt...

Buying a camera is not difficult, next time you buy a car or a condo, then you think that buying a camera is chicken feet. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.