How to bracket exposure in 450D?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdw3irdxd

Dec 2, 2009
may i know how to use bracket AWB in 450D?
i got to the MENU button, then bracket the -1,0,+1, then SET
then after that i point and shot by pressing the shutter...
but it come out only 1 shot with exposure 0.
how to make the bracketing AWB function in 450D?

I have a 500D and i think it should be the same on a 450D.

1) Menu->Exposure Comp/AEB and press "Set"
2) Rotate the top dial. The Exposure bar should split into 3 bars are regular intervals of ev.

1) menu
2) AEB
3) set the range, usually +-2 or 1
4) save
5) shoot three photos of the same subject.
6) the 3 photos will be exposed 0, -1, +1

Alternatively follow steps 1~4.
Then on you shooting mode to high speed continous shooting which would trigger multiple shots when shutter held down. Good for situations without tripod.

Cheers.

i had tried few times..
1st, keep pressing..few photo were taken..but all exposure at 0
2nd, press once...1 photo with exposure 0 too...
3rd, continuous press 3 times..3 photos were taken with exposure 0 too...

Yes. Like what Ortega and Snapperholic said, you need to expose two more times.
That means after you have set the braceting, fire three shots. Each of these shots will be at the pre-set exposure of 0, -1 and +1.

Did you save your settings after you change the settings?
Usually that means pressing the set button or the confirm button depending on your camera.

Cheers

i had tried few times..

Funny. Check your view finder or LCD after you have set the Auto bracketing.
You should see the three block indicators below your exposure meter, positioned at -1, 0 and +1 respectively.
If they are not there, then the setting is not done and the 3 exposures will be at 0 instead.

Sorry to hijack this thread abit but may I know is this a common practice to have shots taken at different exposure? As I think that if we are taking something stationary we have the time to adjust the exposure, aperture, etc. The reason we use continuous is because the subject is not constant and we want to take multiple shots to get the best out of the moment?

People take multiple exposure for various reasons.

1) Safe guard. At times, photographers worry that the shot taken might need tweaking and would like to have the options to choosing the exposure they want in front of the computer.

2) Some would like to merge the three exposures to "HDR"

From your passage you seem to have mixed the AEB multiple shots with the common multiple or continuous shots.

Your version:
1) Multiple shots to capture the moment
2) They basically want a piece of action that is happening but does not know what they want so they "spray"

** On contrary to what your final statement says, multiple shots usually have a common subject. photographers track the subject and do multiple shots of the same subject to capture the best expression or pose of their subject.

Trust this clarifies.

People take multiple exposure for various reasons.

1) Safe guard. At times, photographers worry that the shot taken might need tweaking and would like to have the options to choosing the exposure they want in front of the computer.

2) Some would like to merge the three exposures to "HDR"

From your passage you seem to have mixed the AEB multiple shots with the common multiple or continuous shots.

Your version:
1) Multiple shots to capture the moment
2) They basically want a piece of action that is happening but does not know what they want so they "spray"

** On contrary to what your final statement says, multiple shots usually have a common subject. photographers track the subject and do multiple shots of the same subject to capture the best expression or pose of their subject.

Trust this clarifies.

Ok that make sense. I think I belongs to the latter when I just "spray" to get the best shots especially when I am taking photo of my dogs hehe. I am not too worry abt getting the right exposure as I can more or less get it through software editing but sharpness and clarity is something I cannot achieve.

Are you trying to bracket white balance or exposure?
AWB = auto white balance
AEB = auto exposure bracketing

limwhow said:
I think TS is talking about AEB lah.

xdw3irdxd said:

hmmmmm... i'm not so sure leh...

But the whole -1,0,+1 thingy is to do with exposure bracketing... i think...

I just press and hold 'BKT', turn the command dial until I see "3F", turn the sub dial to set how much to bracket (eg. 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2), then release the 'BKT' button... ta da! done!

heheheh just trying to be funny here. I know this doesn't apply to 450D :)

I believe he is talking bout AEB ba....
Though the term he used is AWB, but the description sounds more like AEB....

i had tried few times..

that's really strange.
Try to hold the camera fixed on the same (stationary is preferred) subject, to eliminate errors due to re-metering. If in burst mode, press and hold down the shutter, and keep an eye out for the shutter speed and aperture during the shooting sequence. If bracketing is active, one of the parameters (usually shutter speed, if I'm not mistaken) will change in between shots.

For example if my metering at 0EV is 1/60s, f/4, and bracketing is set for 0, -1, +1, I should see 1/60, then 1/120 and 1/30 in between the shots.

1) menu
2) AEB
3) set the range, usually +-2 or 1
4) save
5) shoot three photos of the same subject.
6) the 3 photos will be exposed 0, -1, +1

Alternatively follow steps 1~4.
Then on you shooting mode to high speed continous shooting which would trigger multiple shots when shutter held down. Good for situations without tripod.

I am using a 500D and that works for me. Once done with the above setting, set drive mode to Continuous Shooting and you should be able to capture 3 shots of the same object at 3 different exposure. ;)

thanks alot u guys...
the bracket function finally can be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.