how to bounce light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camm

Sep 4, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just bought a 420ex. I wanted to buy a stofen omnibounce as suggested by some of u, but was told out of stock. And the salesman recommended me another bounce, and it looks like a white cloth with one side black. Any diff between stofen omnibounce and the white cloth? And the salesman told me that they don't sell white bounce card and I can make my own. How do u guyd make the bounce card and how big?

Do let me know of any website that I can read up on how to bounce lights?

thanks mega, this site is good.

Any idea if the white card can be purchased? If not, how can I make my own bounce card?

Gosh....can the white card be purchased anywhere?

The guy told me to make my own but I dunno what material to use and where to get. Can I use white color blankguard sheet and cut out the shape?

Camm said:
Gosh....can the white card be purchased anywhere?

The guy told me to make my own but I dunno what material to use and where to get. Can I use white color blankguard sheet and cut out the shape?
you can get the white card/board at Popular Bookshop .. quite light and thicker than blankguard sheet.

Zeckson Chow said:
Hey guys,

Sorry... Me stupid, but what is bounce flash? Light can bounce one meh?

:sweatsm: of course light can bounce le, light is a reflective "material"...
in fact, the only reason why we could see a thing at all is bcos of light boucing on them.

correct me if I'm too wrong... my science ain't that good either, just some info that i remembered from sch times.. :bsmilie:

wow, there's so much diff to the pic with external flash :thumbsup:

Finally, my problem of always having background underexposed is solved....

But i noticed that by using omnibounce and the flash directly facing the subject doesn't turns out to be good. I yield better result without the omnibounce and bounce it thru the ceiling.... :sweat:

Just bought the white giant cardboard from popular....yet to try out.... :lovegrin: I'm very satisfied wif the flash bouncing off the ceiling.....Thanks mate for all ur advise....

Hello guys,

You mean by using an external flash, the background will be lit? I always have the problem when taking pictures with flash and the subject looks good but the background is always so under-exposed.

Also, can somebody please show me the differences? That is, post 1 picture taken with just the built-in flash from the camera and show the same picture taken with external flash. I would like to see that difference. :D

Zeckson Chow said:
Hello guys,

You mean by using an external flash, the background will be lit? I always have the problem when taking pictures with flash and the subject looks good but the background is always so under-exposed.

Also, can somebody please show me the differences? That is, post 1 picture taken with just the built-in flash from the camera and show the same picture taken with external flash. I would like to see that difference. :D
low shutter speed and higher ISO. not a definitive answer, but it helps.

The difference is world's apart.

I'd tried my hand at low-light shooting with the built-in flash and with mount flash.

Built-in flash is too horrible to be viewed. Bluish skin tones, underexposure and every single mistake u name it, u got it.

Mount flash different case liao. Skin tones come out real nice, maybe still a little harsh, but ok.

I heard Hammerhead flash gives really good effect. Hmm.... Haven't tried it yet though.

someone has ever been kind enough to do a test with different bounce scenarios.
With silver foil, bounce w/o card, etc.. and various combination.

Good article. do a search in cs.

as long as it's an external flash. the power is worlds apart. I've got a cheap manual metz and it's been serving me very well since. Ext flash is definitely a must-have for serious photography. It took me quite some time to get used to flash photography, after that it's no turning back.

Flash and bounce card ever ready in my bag even during day shoots. :thumbsup:

Hello guys,

Woah... You mean even day shoot also need flash? I thought the daylight should have given enough light liao?

Zeckson Chow said:
Hello guys,

Woah... You mean even day shoot also need flash? I thought the daylight should have given enough light liao?
Why not? you mean you can't do indoor shoot during day time? :bsmilie: , *sorry, can't help it* :p

Anyway, sometime you will need fill in a little bit, beside this, you can use flash as main light also?

Zeckson Chow said:
Hello guys,

a lot depends on where ur subject is at, doesn mean that daylight you don't need flash already...

most straightforward examples would be backlit subjects, where the sun is from behind them, if u don't use a fill flash, ur subject face is gonna turn out like 'justice bao" :bsmilie:

or sometimes ur subject could be in a shade, so again u would need some fill flash to make sure then your subject is exposed correctly.

jsbn said:
The difference is world's apart.

I'd tried my hand at low-light shooting with the built-in flash and with mount flash.

Built-in flash is too horrible to be viewed. Bluish skin tones, underexposure and every single mistake u name it, u got it.

Mount flash different case liao. Skin tones come out real nice, maybe still a little harsh, but ok.

I heard Hammerhead flash gives really good effect. Hmm.... Haven't tried it yet though.
Built-in flash has it own limitation, but the way you describe it like it is the fault of the manufacturer built-it into camera.

Yes, hammerhead flash like Metz 45 or 60 are so powerful, it gives very even lit bounce light.

But many pro not using it now day, so you can buy a used one real cheap.

Hi,

I'll be helping a friend to take his rom photos tomorrow. Is the ceiling high enough to bounce the lights? Or is it advisable to use a white flash card with flash tilt to 75% or 90%

Thanks alot for your advise

I've never taken inside ROM before, but general rules such as arriving early to test whether your flash is powerful enough to bounce and whether you like the ambient feel or the bright 'chinese restuarant' feel.

Given me, my setup would be 90deg w/bounce card, no gel. Custom WB so I wun get a chinese restuarant. :bsmilie: ISO most likely to be 400 or 800.

Status
Not open for further replies.