How to balance White-balance?

jojovan

Deregistered
Sep 24, 2010
In mix lightings, beside using auto-WB and RAW format, how will you tackle the difference in mixture of cold and warm colour so that the photo looks more real?

mixing two or more different color balance light source, it won't become into one,
either let one color balance light source dominate over the others, or
filtering one or more color balance light source to match the other.

Use high shutter speed and flash. That will override the mixed lighting with your own flash lighting. Better than fighting with the mixed light in photoshop later.

How about given that we are going to take an entrance of a dull-lit castle at night duo with the bright-lit moon on the blue sky? Our flash will not may a difference due to distance.
Any other strategies? Share your view pls ^^

mixing two or more different color balance light source, it won't become into one,
either let one color balance light source dominate over the others, or
filtering one or more color balance light source to match the other.

Along somewhere, i read things like multiple-exposure thingy...will that helps? Hoping to get best of both world.( treat it as we took it as JPEG, not RAW). Im new ^^

Try setting custom white balance with a white or gray card.......

The easiest solution is to use a white card and use custom white balance on your camera and capture the white card, u can read more about it.
U can also shoot in RAW, and use a gray card in the scene. Lightroom has a feature to pick a gray color and it automatically adjust the WB for you.

How about given that we are going to take an entrance of a dull-lit castle at night duo with the bright-lit moon on the blue sky? Our flash will not may a difference due to distance.
Any other strategies? Share your view pls ^^
set your camera WB to the dominating light source.

Along somewhere, i read things like multiple-exposure thingy...will that helps? Hoping to get best of both world.( treat it as we took it as JPEG, not RAW). Im new ^^
not exactly multiple exposure thingy, but you can shoot multiple frame with different WB, than using layer mask to blend different layers together.

Try setting custom white balance with a white or gray card.......

I suppose that works on close distance photography eg portrait? hm... castle is a bigger too big and far from the card unless i can zoom in to cover the whole card. :X

set your camera WB to the dominating light source.

not exactly multiple exposure thingy, but you can shoot multiple frame with different WB, than using layer mask to blend different layers together.

"layer mask to blend different layers together"<--- that would means photo-editing?

"

The easiest solution is to use a white card and use custom white balance on your camera and capture the white card, u can read more about it.
U can also shoot in RAW, and use a gray card in the scene. Lightroom has a feature to pick a gray color and it automatically adjust the WB for you.

I would be for eg: shooting a castle, the sky w/moon. If my lens allow, then i do the white-card-WB-method? If not, I would have to paste it on the wall of the castle then run back to my tripod.

Futhermore, if i get a balance WB on the castle, how about the bright blue moon and the sky? =)

I would be for eg: shooting a castle, the sky w/moon. If my lens allow, then i do the white-card-WB-method? If not, I would have to paste it on the wall of the castle then run back to my tripod.

Futhermore, if i get a balance WB on the castle, how about the bright blue moon and the sky? =)

there's something call a white balance cap..

you can do custom WB setting by using gray/white card for distant scene, as long both gray/white card and your distant subject are illuminated by the same light source, for an example, the castle is 100m away, and where you shooting from also lit by moon light, you can just place the gray/white card anywhere near you under the moon light to do a custom WB.

anyway, for such scene, I will shooting RAW and set in daylight balance instead, if it looks good will just leave it as it is, and I can change the WB if I want it to be more cool or warm during the post processing.

In mix lightings, beside using auto-WB and RAW format, how will you tackle the difference in mixture of cold and warm colour so that the photo looks more real?

If you are conversant with Nikon CaptureNX, then you use multiple grey dropper tool to even the various colour cast in a mix white balance picture. :cool: