how to background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaGixShOe

Apr 16, 2002
magixshoe.clubsnap.org
i have seen shots taken where the object is the only thing is in the pic and the background is either black or blurrish colour
is that editted?? how to do it?

and for shots in black and white
how to do it?

eee........i thought you know magic, sure know a lot of stuff?btw, it is a effect called Depth of field. I leave it to all the experts here to explain to you.;)

The blur background is a photography 'trick', physics of light, aperture and lens. To blur the background, use a large aperture (small f-stop), but be careful, if you are using an SLR or digital SLR, too small an F-stop may give you a picture with Dept of field (the deprt that is in sharp focus) so shallow that only part of the subject is sharp.. let's say you shoot a dog and focus at the eyes... if you use too small an f-stop, you may end up with a picture where only the eyes are sharp whereas the nose and the rest are blurred. But if you are using consumer digital camera with lens that cannot be changed, this shouldn't be a problem... but the intensity of the of blur is limited, even if you use the smallest F-stop that is available. Other factors that affects the DOF is the distance between you and the subject and the subject to the background, as well as focal length of the lens.

To achieve black and white, use photoshop and desaturate the image by clicking image->adjust->desaturate or converting the picture to grey scale.

Images with parts in coulour is done with layers in photoshop... There are a few was to do it. One way will be creating a new layer on top of the image and copy the image onto the new layer, so that you have two layers that are exactly the same. Next, desaturate the top layer. Working on the desaturated top layer, Select the area you want in colour with the appropriate selection tools. When done, delete away the parts, the coloured layer below will show through. Now, you got an image with coloured and B&W elements.

This is just a brief explanation, if there's anything more, ask ask.
;p

i think you scared him away, Flare ;)

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
for the DOF how to do that with my 2600z?

I think you can't get a great DOF effect for that cam, but try to put and zoom in your subject as far from the background, and see how. ;)

Hmmm to try to get a shallow DOF for a consumer camera, one way is to use the maximum optical zoom available, open up the aperture to the widest (smallest F-stop available) and position yourself so as that the subject is near to you while the background is very far away. Another way will be using the macro mode, but the DOF will become very very shallow. But otherwise it's very difficult.

Hmmmm... Hope I didn't scare away anyone.... sheesh... am I that scary?

how to open up the apeture??

Easy...get a screwdriver those use for opening up watches, unscrew the screw near the tripod...then...

Just kidding! Do it at your own risk! :D

I dont think you can set Aperture on a 2600 dude.

er... 2600 no aperture settings ah? Hmmm... no aperture piority mode? Got manual mode?

Oh, yah forgot to tell you, pic with black background achieved by using the flash and setting the camera's aperture and shutter speed to an appropriate value depending on the ambient light.

Flare, this macro flash technique you mentioned, would a pop-up flash work just as well?

actually i'm a bit a bit apprehensive using my pop-up flash for whatever photography. i have this fear that the lens is too long and wide!

i duno my cam got aperture settings anot leh
how to see?

but mine got manual mode lah

anyway...... how to set my cam so that it dun flash at all circumstances?

Originally posted by munfai
Flare, this macro flash technique you mentioned, would a pop-up flash work just as well?

actually i'm a bit a bit apprehensive using my pop-up flash for whatever photography. i have this fear that the lens is too long and wide!

Macro flash technique???? Er... what's that?

i duno my cam got aperture settings anot leh
how to see?

but mine got manual mode lah

anyway...... how to set my cam so that it dun flash at all circumstances?

Do the cam has a aperture piority mode?

a small f-stop means a wide aperture, just set the f-stop to a small number (try the smallest) under aperture piority mode to open up the aperture, the camera will automatically adjust the shutter to give the right exposure. If no aperture piority mode, only have manual mode, just set the aperture wide (small f-stop) and then adjust the shutter speed manually to achieve the right exposure. Use the LCD for this. Most LCD will show the effect of changing shutter speed and aperture. Another way will be get the aperture and shutter value using the auto mode, remember it. Go to manual, dial in those values, adjust the aperture, see how many stops you go up. Then adjust the aperture down the same number of stops you go up... er... confusing?

erm.. yup
i am confused....

from the beginning....... wat is f-stop? :D

a smaller f-stop will result in a wider aperture = bigger opening in the shutter?

i dun tink my cam got aperture priority

The F-stop or f-number is the aperture setting. When you half press the shutter, the camera should do a auto focus and display the exposure values, one is the shuter speed, commonly displayed as a fraction such as 1/250 and beside that you can see the f-stop, which is usually displayed like F3.5 or F(some number here). The F-stop is the aperture settings. So just refer to the manual on how to set this in manual mode...

Me having exams... I'll try to put in a more detailed example and instructions after the paper tomorrow.

when half press my cam only show !AF
got show other things one meh?

anyway gf luck for ur exams! :D

Originally posted by Flare

Macro flash technique???? Er... what's that?

that's when you use the a very small aperture and use flash to light you subject, thus making the background dark.

not exactly sure that it's called 'macro flash technique' but it's typically used for macro photography, so...

Oh...I believe the pop up flash should be able to work as well, but have to take note of the power of the pop up flash, make sure it is powerful enough to illuminate the subject at the distance you are shooting, and there's nothing blocking the flash.... hee hee... such as your lens....

I'll try it out with my D5's built in flash when I have the time

Originally posted by Flare
take note of the power of the pop up flash, make sure it is powerful enough

When using flash on macro, the greater concern is "will my flash be too powerful?". If teh build in flash can't throttle down properly, the subject will be completely washed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.