How to adjust a Circular Polarizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adiemus

May 21, 2004
Small island....
Hi ppl,

I just acquired a cir polarizer. i know it cuts down reflections, etc.... but how is it supposed to be adjusted? I see only slight differences in the view finder. Please advise ... oh gurus.....

tingchiyen

Jan 28, 2004
Central
Adiemus said:
Hi ppl,

I just acquired a cir polarizer. i know it cuts down reflections, etc.... but how is it supposed to be adjusted? I see only slight differences in the view finder. Please advise ... oh gurus.....
Ohmmmmmm.... :light: Fix your filter on your lens. Rotate the ring. If you like what you see, that's fine. If not, rotate until you do.

lytefunk

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
Generally, theres 2 notches on the ring of the circular polariser...

The most amount of polarisation is supposed to happen when the notch points towards the direction of the light that is causing the reflection..

Try it on a reflective surface first.. like TV screens, glass, etc.. Play around with it.. and see how it affects..

Then you decide what you like and how to achieve it.

foxtwo

Mar 11, 2004
singapore
The beach is a good place to test, point at the sea, the trees & the sky. Just keep ur eye on the viewfinder and keep rotating that ring, soon u will understand.

The polariser will take 2 stops, so let accordingly.

ps. If u don't already know, use the polariser in bright sunny weather for best effect.

ptwong

Nov 10, 2003
Yishun
I thought cir polarizer is for AF so it doesn't affect if you rotate it....well i may be wrong...

lytefunk

Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
ptwong said:
I thought cir polarizer is for AF so it doesn't affect if you rotate it....well i may be wrong...
Its for SLR AF.. cause a SLR uses phase detection AF usually.. and a linear polariser will screw it up..

I think its safe to use a linear polariser on a digicam though (non-SLR) cause usually they will use contrast detection AF.. (cheaper solution.. but I don't guarantee it will work.. try it at a shop first.)

I haven't used a linear polariser before, but generally the idea of how a polariser works is that you rotate it such that it cuts out polarisation at that 'angle'

However, this is not exactly how it works for a circular polariser filter, and I don't have a degree on optics, but generally it works the same way..

So, rotating a circular polariser WILL affect the image.. I suggest you try it out first :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.