how to add colour to your flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

njo747

Sep 6, 2008
does anyone know where to buy the gels or transparent coloured pieces that can be added infront of a flash for a coloured flash.
i have a holga flash, but i want the coloured effects.
anyone know where to buy the colour set so i dont have to re-buy a coloursplash flash?

thanks!

You can buy gels from Cathay Photo Peninsula. Go to the their shop that sells Tripods, strobes etc and ask them for it.

However, they come in big sheets. You probably need just a piece, enough to cover the flash

if you just want colour effects and you are not too particular abt the exact colour, you can just use cellophone paper..

I'd recommend DIY with cellopaper and your omnibounce. LOL.. depends on what exactly your needs are. If you just want to experiment and fiddle around, i think it would be good enough. If you're intending for pro use, then i suppose you could go for the more legit methods for colouring your flash.

Dun fire too rapidly with cellophane... you may induce a high temp and melt the plastic...

Frankly, I think that you can tweak the colour balance of the photo in photoshop.
Why do you need to do such thing with digital nowadays? :dunno:

multiple flashes, multiple light sources

then you can have multiple coloured light at different areas.

Btw, the SB-800 comes with gels for colour correction.

yea...but only 2 gels (which i lost)! :cry:

and yea, cellophane does work...but the melting bit is pretty scary, considering i kinda half-melted my SB-800's gel filter only after a few bursts :p

yea...but only 2 gels (which i lost)! :cry:

and yea, cellophane does work...but the melting bit is pretty scary, considering i kinda half-melted my SB-800's gel filter only after a few bursts :p

You can buy replacement gels from the shop. :)

Which shop sells the nikon gel pack? :dunno:

most the shops i've been to don't even know what a gel filter is! :(

I just bought a Nikon gel pack from Lords' Photo today for about three red notes. But the gels melt quickly :(. Dont buy.

I'm also looking for thick gels. The gels sold in Cathay is thick enough to withstand the flash heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.