How to achieve this sort of effect in Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pebblez

Jan 7, 2009
Tampines
Hi babes and dudes,

I thought this picture was PP-ed very nicely.
Am still learning the ropes of PP properly, anyone could share how one might PP this picture to create this effect coupled with the great colors?

3219874206_3e37944caf_o.jpg

Picture credits to Sean Lau

can adjust the colors first with channel mixer or other mode of color adjustment.

then add a layer and remove the colors. then layer mask n paint back what u need.

to use ur shot, i did a quick sample. not very clean but i am lazy to do the grass.

3219054149_39aa644d40_o.jpg

Last edited:
Using layer mask and saturation tuning will get u the effect.. Btw, it's a very nice pic and cute baby;)

Cheers!!

Using layer mask and saturation tuning will get u the effect.. Btw, it's a very nice pic and cute baby;)

Cheers!!

can adjust the colors first with channel mixer or other mode of color adjustment.

then add a layer and remove the colors. then layer mask n paint back what u need.

to use ur shot, i did a quick sample. not very clean but i am lazy to do the grass.

3219054149_39aa644d40_o.jpg

Wow!! i'm impressed.... am fiddling with my P.s now.. adjusted colors with mixer and contrast like you said, but not sure about the layering and removing colors part, still googling to see how that works! Thanks~~ i'll play with a couple of pictures, and see how it goes!!

answered. hope you get it. its very simple, seriously. have fun!

Thanks! will try it out, so exciting! then i'll post here ya =)

Wow!! i'm impressed.... am fiddling with my P.s now.. adjusted colors with mixer and contrast like you said, but not sure about the layering and removing colors part, still googling to see how that works! Thanks~~ i'll play with a couple of pictures, and see how it goes!!

Thanks! will try it out, so exciting! then i'll post here ya =)

n1131541977_283221_3257.jpg

is this including the effect u want?
i just use the lasso tools to select the body that u want to keep the color, then inverse.. and and set the background to black and white.

still newbie, i don't know this method is correct or not.. hehe...

PS : i am using CS 3 to achieve this.

lightroom/aperture... done in seconds :)

wow ,it's cool. I am a NX2 user, I dont think it can achieve this effect.:confused:

The procedure is,
1. Select the object that you want to keep with original colors.
2. Inverse the selection.
3. Convert to black and white (all will become black and white except the object you select in step 1)

In Photoshop CS3, I personally feel that "Extract" is the best tool for selection.

I think the first photo desaturate away certain colours spectrum using channel mixer or similar rather then using layers and mask.

Wah no need to mess with channels and all that lah.

Here's what I learnt from a book:

1. Open your file in PS.

2. Under 'Image', go to 'Adjustment', then select 'Desaturate'. Or simply hit 'Shift+Ctrl+U'.

3. Your photo will now be rendered black and white.

4. Select 'History Brush Tool' (or hit 'Shift + Y'). Select the brush type and diameter depending on your needs.

5. Start 'coloring' the parts that you want. You may have to zoom in to get accurate results during 'coloring'.

Quite simple actually.

the coloring part. quite hard. im not good with mouse

Here is the method I use.

1. Open file.

2. Do your usual adjustment, levels, curves, etc.

3. Flatten image.

4. Duplicate the background.

5. Duplicate the background again. (Now you will have 2 layers on top of your background)

6. Convert the top most layer into B/W using what ever method you prefer.

7. Using a soft edge brush with a relatively low hardness (less than 5%), start erasing the sections you want on the top most B/W layer until the colors from the bottom layer start showing.

n722856937_1508638_1761.jpg

n722856937_1317012_9899.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.