How to Achieve the Sunburst Effect in Photography

try it at night, on a scene with a street light (not lights), tripod, slow shutter. use f22 and it'll be more obvious. possibly it's because the rest of the scene is as brightly lit as the light source. therefore it's not that obvious.

I managed it with f/8. But as mentioned above, it really has to stand out. Be really really bright.

Untitled by MARK1992-, on Flickr

Use a tripod and lowest aperture. Take the sun early in the day or late afternoon when it doesn't at its brightest.
also compose it behind some objects, so that it will not be a massive huge source of light, using obstruction to break it down into a small source of light, not sure how should i put it through.

maybe you can shoot and post your result, i am sure that with the photos, people can better advise you on the issues.

I guess you must be tried that on a cloudy day.........

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

anyway dun point your camera at the sun (if there is any :sweat:) just to try to get this effect, else u may end up damaging your lens or camera sensor.

u can always practise this effect during night shoot , shooting those lamp lights instead.

If the sun is too bright, you may have to position it behind something, so it comes out through a small hole. Otherwise you will not see the star because it will just be blown out.

I have tried every f-stop, placing the sun behind some object, but i just cant acheive such effect.

Not sure what went wrong =(

the light source should be a concentrated point of light, such as those coming from a lamp post at a distance in night scene.. the sun is too big to achieve this result, the reason why in your link it is successful is that the tree leaves "filter" the light into smaller ones (as if you are looking through a mesh wire or something like that) and thus it may be regarded as a concentrated point of a light source..

I just tried again today using my wide angle lens.
somehow it works!

kinda weird it only works on my wide angle lens and not my 18-200 lens :dunno: