How to achieve SHARP pictures in a wedding banquet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwywjm

Dec 15, 2005
Punggol
Hey guys,
can anyone advice on the above subject as well as good exposure when taking pics using 350D and EFS17-85 IS, handheld? I also an extra sigma flash.

Thanks alot!
May

get the 1200mm lor. :p

jokes aside. u have a pretty decent setup to start with actually. i seriously don't know what else u need. perhaps a monopod/tripod if u have serious hand shaking probs.

Just shoot like normal lah. use flash with bounce card.

Using the riffle shooting technique....Breathe in...hold your breath...click the button....then breathe out. Else increase ISO and use higher shutter speed.

Cheers

your aperture should also be decent,then use flash.
Before dinner try out different settings.

borrow a fixed wide angle lens say about 24mm or 28mm ( in 35mm film format terms)
shoot at f8
set your lens at hyperfocal distance
everything from 4 feet to about infinity is sharp.
better than autofocus
no need to focus
use flash with 1/60 sec or 1/30 so background will be recorded.
hold your cam steady.
do not depend on IS to compensate for poor holding & shooting technique.

be prepared mentally to be treated very poorly by other wedding guests.
Sing society (deleted [looks down on]) (edit add [does not regard photogs on same level as engineers/doctors/lawyers]. (unfortunately).
keep it as a hobby only if you can.

Hey Richflex, dont say that. You need to be PROUD of what you do.
Regardless of profession, a photographer is a respected job.
But i agree with you that a wedding photographer is well treated badly.
It is our job to change these !@#$%^& mind set right GUYS!!!!

OK
edited. :)
Lucky I am hobbyist only.
Long ago, upon special request by very close friends, took their wedding shots for them; FOC of course. Don't get me wrong, they did not do so to save the money, They are rich and can easily afford Pro-photog.
They like my pics. That's all.
Anyway, their other wedding guests who did not know I was wedding couple's good friend treated me like how most photogs would be treated. That means - not abusive, but disdainful, lah...
So that's how I know...Pro-photog's life not easy.

You know sometimes, it has partly to do with how photogs dress during a wedding. While there's a need for mobility to get angles, please at least dress decently and come in (minimum) a collared shirt, pants and dress shoes. I've seen too many wedding photogs in tee shirts, slacks, berms, slippers, etc. I think too often wedding photogs use the mobility reason to dress down and I think that's mainly why people are disdainful of them. If you actually bothered to dress properly, people would look at you in a whole new light, trust me.

Anyhow, OT aside, I think that the thread starter's set-up is pretty decent for weddings already. The 17-85 does yield some pretty sharp photos and it does have IS to boot so handshake is less of a problem. If you have serious handshake issues, remember the 1/f length rule for shutter speed and for you, leave the IS on! You may probably need to use the flash to facilitate this. If that still doesn't work, try using a tripod. If that still doesn't work, i'm pretty sure that there might be a problem with the equipment; send it in for servicing. If it comes back and you still can't get sharp photos, you need to train up your own skill

i agree. sometimes the photog's vest is so worn it looks like it came from a war in afghanistan. or they wear jeans and a sloppy t-shirt. :)

Stoned, agree. So lets say it is dressing that tell a thousand words.
However, i feel that the delivery of the photos is still the most impt.
I can dress damn well but my photos !@#$%^&.
Honestly, who cares what the other relatives says.
The couple must be happy with my pics at the end of they day.
It is only once a life time. I screw it up, i am screwed for life in the industry.
Right guys

lightning said:
Using the riffle shooting technique....Breathe in...hold your breath...click the button....then breathe out. Else increase ISO and use higher shutter speed.

Cheers

Err.. Isn't the proper technique (or at least what they taught in army) supposed to be breathe out like 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever amount of air (dunno how you measure also) then click? There is a period of calmness just after you exhale where you actually tremble the least. Taking in a large amount of air and holding your breath is more strenuous IMO.

lightning said:
humm... then may be I am taught differently. :dunno:

Try feeling your own heartbeat, it accelerates slightly when u inhale and slows when u exhale. Exhaling slightly before firing should be the correct method.

I actually notice more shake when I hold my breath after breathing in, and less shake after breathing out.

Sharp Pics:
High Shutter Speed
Small Aperture
Tripod
Sufficient light
Hand-holding techniques
Squeezing shutter technique
Correct exposure does affect sharpness to an extent.

lwywjm said:
Hey guys,
can anyone advice on the above subject as well as good exposure when taking pics using 350D and EFS17-85 IS, handheld? I also an extra sigma flash.

Thanks alot!
May
What kind of pictures are you refering?
posed shots?
candid shots with flash?
candid shots without flash?
march in shots?
ambient shots?
details shots?
table shots?

None of them have sharp photos? keep your camera and enjoy the dinner.

Denosha said:
Err.. Isn't the proper technique (or at least what they taught in army) supposed to be breathe out like 2/3 or 3/4 or whatever amount of air (dunno how you measure also) then click? There is a period of calmness just after you exhale where you actually tremble the least. Taking in a large amount of air and holding your breath is more strenuous IMO.

When you inhale and try to breath out against a closed vocal chords, (something trying to strain when you are constipated) your heart rate actually slows down. This is called a valsalva manoeuvre. Those of us whose body frame is smaller may benefit from this (less transmitted movement from the heart beat). I don't think you should breath out 2/3 or 3/4 after inhaling. :dunno:

cameracamera said:
Stoned, agree. So lets say it is dressing that tell a thousand words.
However, i feel that the delivery of the photos is still the most impt.
I can dress damn well but my photos !@#$%^&.
Honestly, who cares what the other relatives says.
The couple must be happy with my pics at the end of they day.
It is only once a life time. I screw it up, i am screwed for life in the industry.
Right guys

I never meant to compromise on the quality of the photos. Dressing appropriately for a wedding doesn't cause one's photography skill to go down. Hey, I can shoot perfectly normally in a tux, so what more a simple shirt and pants. It's not so much about you, but most people think photographers are slobs because of the image they always portray. You are after all attending an important formal event, don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Stoned said:
I never meant to compromise on the quality of the photos. Dressing appropriately for a wedding doesn't cause one's photography skill to go down. Hey, I can shoot perfectly normally in a tux, so what more a simple shirt and pants. It's not so much about you, but most people think photographers are slobs because of the image they always portray. You are after all attending an important formal event, don't stick out like a sore thumb.
I agree...I just went to another friend's wedding....and the photographer was badly behaved...there was this part...when a group of ppl from a table went to the toilet..the photographers just sat down at that table and ate their food....and when those people returned..they just quickly rn away and pretend to take photos....:bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.