how to achieve bokeh in a studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

compro_1975

Apr 24, 2005
how do i achieve that when i am using the M setting and the F.stop hav to be set inline with what the studio light meter shows?

Errr, shoot without flash/strobe?

how do i achieve that when i am using the M setting and the F.stop hav to be set inline with what the studio light meter shows?
lightmeter allow you to choose your aperture.

First, need to understand how is bokeh (small DOF) being achieved.
a) Long focal length
b) Large aperature
c) Large distance between subject and background
d) Relatively small distance between subject and camera compared to subject to background
e) Larger sensor (PnS, Prosumer compared to DSLR)

What do you have to bokeh in the studio btw? Doesn't really have much difference... Most backgrounds are single colored unless you're talking about muslin backgrounds or other special backgrounds.

Your lights can be adjusted for output...

And if for some reason you can't do that... you can shift the the light further away from the subject. And if for some reason you also cannot do that... use something translucent to kill the output also can...

Your lights can be adjusted for output...

And if for some reason you can't do that... you can shift the the light further away from the subject. And if for some reason you also cannot do that... use something translucent to kill the output also can...
If reduce the output of the lights so much arh, might as well use flash or shoot outdoor liao... :bsmilie: Why use strobes when it is a super overkill???

If reduce the output of the lights so much arh, might as well use flash or shoot outdoor liao... :bsmilie: Why use strobes when it is a super overkill???

Coz strobes can give you a wide diffused lighting. Or any other form of light diffuser you require.

Uh.. yeah.. but having XXXX amount of output doesn't mean you have to use all of it what.

If the shot you have in mind really needs a shallow DOF, then the only way is to reduce the light.

Coz strobes can give you a wide diffused lighting. Or any other form of light diffuser you require.

Yeah that too. :)

Anyway... since its a studio with all the equipment there... why would you want to set up a bunch of speedlights when whatever is available gives you more control and options.

you cannot achieve "bokeh"... bokeh is the quality or "look" of the out of focus area, ie. how the out of focus areas look... this depends on the lens in use... what you want is to have areas that are out of focus...

shooting human in a studio, narrow DOF is not alway possible, and also not the primary goal. cos studio flash is too powerful, placing the light far away will alter the ratio of lighting and shadow, add more diffuser will alter the quality of light, and also most studios are too small for you to place your subject further away from background.

Most of shallow DOF effect in studio is achieve by using PC lens, you also can use a large format camera to do so.

another cheapo way is to use ND filter on your camera lens, a 3X ND filter can cut down f11 to f4.

on order to get a shallower DOF (not necessarily good bokeh) you will need to use a bigger aperture
thus you need to reduce the amount of light that,

some ways to reduce the amount of light.
(does not mean you will get nice light)

move lights further away from subject
reduce intensity of light source
add light modifiers
positioning the direction of lights
gobos

ND filters for lens
ND gels for lights

be creative, lots of thing that can be done

thanks for all who replied

First, need to understand how is bokeh (small DOF) being achieved.
a) Long focal length
b) Large aperature
c) Large distance between subject and background
d) Relatively small distance between subject and camera compared to subject to background
e) Larger sensor (PnS, Prosumer compared to DSLR)

What do you have to bokeh in the studio btw? Doesn't really have much difference... Most backgrounds are single colored unless you're talking about muslin backgrounds or other special backgrounds.
i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

to the rest, i will read them once i get home, 1 by 1:D and keep them coming

i would be a bridal shoot, then i want the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back, then somemore is the 'love-heartshape props' which i wish to have a soft background, in the back and make the couple stand out.

Having "the gloom to he infront then the bride to be at the back" shouldn't be a problem if you use long focal length to shoot or you stand near to the groom...

Maybe this will help:
- http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lsRu90jE88&feature=related

its a gloomy kinda love... :bsmilie:

do you know you can use a flash to 'white out' the other party? just a suggestion... meter the party you want to take, then +1 stop more for the person u wanna blur. You should have more than 1 light right?

Will you be renting studio or have your own studio?
Have you shoot studio prior to this bridal shoot?

DCA: then wouldnt the photo look kind of funny? the not-in-focus blown highlights person would be snatching for attention with your actual intended subject wor... sorry, if what i am picturing in my mind is quite different from what you have. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.