how to achieve best result with EF 135mm F2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeJackal

Jun 25, 2005
www.geocities.com
I just got my canon 20D + new 135mm F2L and i am going to test the equipment to its fullest potential. I would like to know what is the best condition to take photo?

my sister, NAFTA student b4, had told me the best lighting condition is from 5pm to 7pm. Any other tips???

Knowing more tips shall improve my technique .... and reduce the chance of shooting horrible photo that put the lens to shame :sweat: :D

I think that time advise for better lighting conditions is good but its general advise and not related to just the 135mm focal length.

with crop factor that should translate to about 216mm focal length in 35mm terms.

Well think in terms of the perspective of that focal length and perhaps its bokeh when shot wide open...... and maybe even how its going to help u isolate parts of a landscape you want to capture.

The options are actually quite wide.

Go ahead, stumble along with it and after a few hours/days, you should know what situations you would like to apply this focal length to.

'......shooting horrible photo that put the lens to shame.....' The lens has nothing to do with shooting 'horrible' photo :) Dont worry about 'horrible' pics, they're lessons we learn from ..........and it happens to all of us .......

best of luck!

shoot all day

dragos said:
shoot and shoot, look for different perspectives.

I think don't just shoot, but sit down and look through what you shoot.

Ask questions like

Why you like this particular picture?

What is wrong with that one? etc

If you shoot outdoor, best time of day will be either early hours in the morning (6+am to 8am) and evening (5+am to 7+pm). These are the time where the sun is not high up and cast harsh lightings on buildings which wont make you photos look good. :)

Superb lens this is, my favourite toy!:D

I think around 4.30pm to 6.30pm will give u the best warm colour when it's not too cloudy, from 7.00pm to 7.45pm the colour of the sky will be very nice but available lights are low and there'll be some bluish cast.

Actually I think there will not be much problem taking pics with this lens even during noon, you can take the subject in shades..? This lens shd be able to perform very well in lower contrast situation as well, as long as the shutter speed is not too low to cause shake.

This lens perform better than all my other lens in backlight situations.. try what Splutter mentioned earlier, the effect is pretty cool!!

Kongo said:
Superb lens this is, my favourite toy!:D

I think around 4.30pm to 6.30pm will give u the best warm colour when it's not too cloudy, from 7.00pm to 7.45pm the colour of the sky will be very nice but available lights are low and there'll be some bluish cast.

Actually I think there will not be much problem taking pics with this lens even during noon, you can take the subject in shades..? This lens shd be able to perform very well in lower contrast situation as well, as long as the shutter speed is not too low to cause shake.

This lens perform better than all my other lens in backlight situations.. try what Splutter mentioned earlier, the effect is pretty cool!!

cool! i will try out asap i can't wait to see the result :D i nearly bought 85mm 1.2L for night portrait but the price is too steep $2.5k ....

use it at f2 all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.