How to Achieve A "Bluer" Sky Colour

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmrsia

Sep 13, 2004
bedok
For the gentlemen and ladies out there, need your 2 cents advise/inputs and specially for the D70 users. The question is like this:

How you normally achieve/get a very nice "bluer" sky colour out of cam pic?

Taking note that no filter was used and that the sky is not that very blue. For D70, do you have some curves installed to accentuate the sky colour?

Thanks and advance, hope get some feedbacks... :)

mmmrsia said:
For the gentlemen and ladies out there, need your 2 cents advise/inputs and specially for the D70 users. The question is like this:

Taking note that no filter was used and that the sky is not that very blue. For D70, do you have some curves installed to accentuate the sky colour?

1) Use a Graduated blue filter
2) Ask God to make sky bluer
3) Use PS if possible

Regards,
Nick

I think he mentioned that " How you normally achieve/get a very nice "bluer" sky colour out of cam pic? Taking note that no filter was used and that the sky is not that very blue....."

He juz want to know from D70 users , whether if the camera has any
curves installed to accentuate the sky colour when he takes the picture, and not by using any filters or PSing.

Sorry ..can't help much cos i'm a Canon user ;p , but i think u can adjust the midtone for D70 . Why don't u give it a try and see the differences. :D

I think using a smaller aperture makes the sky a little bluer. Can anyone verify?

Drudkh said:
I think using a smaller aperture makes the sky a little bluer. Can anyone verify?

that's true but the impact is quite subtle. me think using polariser is still the best bet for 'natural blue sky'.

mmmrsia said:

Hi mmmrsia,

Over here, a lot of times, S'pore sky is not very blue. I think the sky overseas e.g. Australia is a lot bluer and nice. If the sky happens to be pretty "white" when you shoot, even the best circular polariser would only make a slight difference.

If you really want to take a natural blue sky when its not, I think nickmak's second option is the best - ask God to make the sky "bluer" :) For He created all things; He alone can change the "colour" of anything, any time :) But of course, we know its not possible :dunno:

nickmak said:
1) Use a Graduated blue filter
2) Ask God to make sky bluer
3) Use PS if possible

Regards,
Nick

I think option 2 is the best solution here...haha :angel: :angel:

StreetShooter said:
Just underexpose slightly.

Use a tripod, under expose the frame by -1 to -3 stops. Choose the one with the sky you want and do a layer mask, then do a gradient fill to simulate a ND grad filter effect.

You can still do it w/o a tripod with D70 since noise is not really that of an issue. Just duplicate a new layer in Photoshop, adjust the level/curve to the color you want, then use layer mask -> gradient fill to create the effect.

Example of what I did:

37294323.jpg

Bangkok skies are no better than Singapore, yet this could be done...quite drastic choking of curve in PS to get this effect.

13417blue_sky.jpg

you can see that theres a lot of clouds, at the area where you can see the sky, the sky is really blue, a lot "bluer" than in the pix.

street shooter, under exposing will make will improve the colour a bit but the subjects below will become dark..any solution/settings to use on this?

philshots, from what I know miracles do happen but only for those who are worthy of it. to find the the "worthy one" i don't know. :bsmilie:

epia, thanks for the suggestion but I saw a pink cast on your clouds. :think:

Anymore? Any curves that you all know that can help or settings maybe? TIA

1. Create a new duplicate layer.

2. Adjust the curves on the new layer until the sky is the blue colour you want.

3. Choose add layer mask. Make sure it's a linear and not radial gradient.

4. Select the gradient tool and experiment applying it - click, drag, release.

5. When you're happy, flatten the layers.

Well if it is the correct time S'pore sky can be quite blue leh.
Most pic have little PP and is not to make the sky blue.

163432685bAcZRB_ph.jpg

172961283TIjDbY_ph.jpg

203169145gIjoLD_ph.jpg

234586252xDOLnj_ph.jpg

Last one hahahaha wrong WB. maybe you can consider WB as a tool for adjusting blue sky.

234586312HTfiKK_ph.jpg

Yes, if you shoot in the early morning light, or in the late evening light when the sky is turning dark, your skies will turn out to be rich deep blue. Forgot about that.

mmmrsia said:
Anymore? Any curves that you all know that can help or settings maybe? TIA

For in camera settings that you can do to get "bluer" skies. Set WB to Cloudy -1 or -2. Set Saturation to +1. Try this custom curve Digital Agfa Optima. (You can also try this curve - Velvia, but I find it a bit too saturated for my liking)

Yeap, it has been mentioned by fellow Cser and in some articles that I've read that you will get a nice sky colours when the sun is located at some degrees in the morning during sunrise and in the afternoon before it sets.
My apologies for not mentioning those exceptions.

I will try those curves and see whether it will help.

Thanks guys/ladies for the responses, you all are great. May this thread be of help to others also. If you have other info pls feel free to reply to this thread. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.