How then consider pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamessss

Dec 14, 2007
Ok, so i have this weird question because of a photoshoot which my friend are doing.

So my friend is rather new to photography and was actually going to help a group of friend do a photoshoot but in the end, this group of friend find another photographer saying he is more "pro" but he can still be present to take extra photo for them.

How do you conclude someone is pro or not? By his/her portfolio? By equipment? Isn't this very subjective?

When most, if not all his/her income comes from photography and/or related activities. Mind you, being labelled a professional be it self proclaimed or otherwise doesn't not necessarily means he/she is skilled in producing photographs.

When most, if not all his/her income comes from photography and/or related activities. Mind you, being labelled a professional be it self proclaimed or otherwise doesn't not necessarily means he/she is skilled in producing photographs.

very true, which is why my friend is actually quite pissed by them. They never even let him try.

i prefer to see the person's before n after PP pics.
based on a few sets,can see is he's good @ taking pic,PP pics or non @ all.lol.. :)

Ok, so i have this weird question because of a photoshoot which my friend are doing.

So my friend is rather new to photography and was actually going to help a group of friend do a photoshoot but in the end, this group of friend find another photographer saying he is more "pro" but he can still be present to take extra photo for them.

How do you conclude someone is pro or not? By his/her portfolio? By equipment? Isn't this very subjective?
regardless the field, imo a Professional is a person who knows what s/he is doing rather then just anyhow shoot.

PRO means "tan jiak" (earn a living).

taxi drivers and bus captains are PROFESSIONAL drivers, cus they earn their living by driving.

if dun earn $$$, but still want to claim to be very good, a cut (or several cuts) above the rest, the "politically correct" term is, EXPERT.

Oh man, this situation happened to me too.

The "professional" was friendly when I tried to chat with him, he claims that it was not his full time job, just that this particular group usually contact him for event shoots.

In the end, I still hung around and helped out as I concluded that there was a breakdown in communication between two parties in the group who engaged their own photographer, one is "professional" the other "non-pro"- me.

In this world if you can mix around blend in make ppl 'comfy' with you happy with your words the rest most of the time is bull. There is a vast border that most so called intermediate and 'pros' can hit. At this vast border is where most are stuck. To break out of this limit zone and proceed to the other side where ppl truely define your photos are 'god-like' is yet another story.

If you dare, dont photoshop. If the model dare, don't put on make up i willingly do a TFCD for you.

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
very true, which is why my friend is actually quite pissed by them. They never even let him try.

Well to begin with, did your friend present his portfolio to the client? Its could be a very important shoot for the client and they can't afford to "let your friend try". Since he's new, I think the client is already doing him a great favour to let him tag along.

Things are so subjective but sometimes even when a recommendation is made. It may not be reliable.

For example, my company just did a grand opening. My ad agency guy, recommended a "freelance" pro photographer. Cost was $560 bucks for about 4 hours of work.

Just to shoot the guests, VIPs, of course ribbon cutting and various ceremony pics.

There were so many OOF pics in the CD. I am still compiling and checking them now.

I can see a nasty phone call being placed to my ad agency. The supposed "pro", turned out to be quite "low-yah".

Well to begin with, did your friend present his portfolio to the client? Its could be a very important shoot for the client and they can't afford to "let your friend try". Since he's new, I think the client is already doing him a great favour to let him tag along.

It's sort of a friend friend thing, not commercialized photoshoot. He just complaining to me that he feel its unfair to him and sort but i tried explaining to him that if that person is a full time photographer and he's doing it free for his bunch of friend, why not? What you guys think?

Based on my industrial experience, we usually refer to that photographer's portfolio before hiring him/her ;)

I think a pro would be someone who's had training? There's actually alot to learn about light, colours, composition, understanding how a camera works etc, not to mention the cropping and photoshopping etc although all of these can be picked up, but someone who has had training be it in a photography school, in nafa, in Poly or NTU, they will have had spent a few years cutting their teeth at it.

in the end of the day, what the customers/clients get to keep? the photos and the experience dealing with the photographer...

so in short, the pictures and the attitude of the photographer does matter.

anyway, if the people think the "pro" photographer able to deliver what they want, your friend has no reason to be piss off.

I feel that the word 'pro' has been misuse by many people. The meaning of professional is someone working in a job who is socially respected because it needs a high standard of training or education, or earning a living with it.

When people use the word 'pro' to describe someone, people tend to have high expectation for the person, in many cases many turn out a little disappointed.

Regarding the person saying that the other friend is more 'pro', I think that he is just emphasizing that the person is better only, and he is not a pro in any ways(he might be). People with less exposure to a certain interest tend to use the word 'pro' just because the other person is better. Common phrases like ' wa you pro sia' always arises. A compliment from those with more exposure in that interest would be better

Like my friends, they know I am into photography and had invested in cameras and stuff, and I wouldn't say my pictures are good but enough to satisfy their eyes, so they will go say things like 'this guy is pro'. But if its someone who is a shutterbug with some experiences, they would not say so. They would say things like 'I like this', 'wow thats nice!', 'great job, keep shooting!', which its more than satisfying to hear from. I would prefer people describing me as someone who loves photography rather than people say I'm a pro, which I am not.

As what attap said, ya the word 'Expert' would be more applicable. :)

Last edited:
In.. Singaporean Internet Lingo.. "Pro" refers to someone who is good at what he does. Photography has got to be one of the hardest fields to distinguish if you choose this definition..

The original definition of Pro refers to Professional, and would refer to people who do photography for a living.

In.. Singaporean Internet Lingo.. "Pro" refers to someone who is good at what he does. Photography has got to be one of the hardest fields to distinguish if you choose this definition..

The original definition of Pro refers to Professional, and would refer to people who do photography for a living.

Like I said before, being a professional and earning a living out of it doesn't necessarily means he/she can produce decent works or meet the clients' requirements everytime. The assumption of "if he/she is a pro, then he/she has to be good" is rampant, inaccurate and dangerous.

depends on your standards and view you wish to take.

you can have people with d3 still cannot shoot, don't know what they are doing. you can have 50 years of experience regarding photography but still can be horrible at it.

i think the most fair definition for "pro" is "professional", i.e. most of your income comes from photography.

ah.. i get the idea.. Hmmm, might speak to my friend about this and see what he have to say about all your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.