How SIA charge for excess baggage weight

AlvinOMG

Jan 2, 2010
Bkt Timah
As topic.
Just wondering if SIA charges for the excess baggage weight at the check-in counter or only when you reach your destination (in this case Singapore)?

On a side note, will they charge you if its only abit over the weight limit? (let's say....20.6kg & the limit is 20kg...)?

Thanks in adv :)

hi, depends on where you fly to.

usually longer flights they will be more lenient.

a bit over will be fine.

where are you flying to, or flying from?

sia will charge AT THE COUNTER before you take flight.

hi, depends on where you fly to.

usually longer flights they will be more lenient.

a bit over will be fine.

where are you flying to, or flying from?

sia will charge AT THE COUNTER before you take flight.

As topic.
Just wondering if SIA charges for the excess baggage weight at the check-in counter or only when you reach your destination (in this case Singapore)?

On a side note, will they charge you if its only abit over the weight limit? (let's say....20.6kg & the limit is 20kg...)?
Thanks in adv :)

My experience is with all airlines you are charged at check-in counter.

You tend to get a little leeway upto 1 or 2kg extra. Of all the airlines I have travelled on SIA is the cheapest per kilo. Around SGD$10.00 last time I was charged, but they took pity on me and give me another 15KG allowance and only charged me for 50KG.

Cheers ....

My experience is with all airlines you are charged at check-in counter.

if you are student and have a good puppy dog face, you can get away with quite some. usually they base it on baggage handler limits, which is i think 32 kg in europe area. the rest, i don't know.

please do not quote me on this though, if the counter guy or girl don't like your face not my problem.

oh, and don't try to play it like clubsnap buy and sell.. student say only no count, need to show valid student id.

Last edited:
Hey bro nightmare,
I am flying from Beijing (PEK) to Singapore.
I am a student as well, going back with a group of approx 80 :sweat:
Thanks by the way :D

Hey bro deyeno,
Oh I see. I checked on the SIA website and it says from China to Singapore (Band 2 )it's USD 12 per kg :O

Thanks guys for the fast help :)

Hey bro nightmare,
Thanks by the way :D

Hey bro deyeno,
Oh I see. I checked on the SIA website and it says from China to Singapore (Band 2 )it's USD 12 per kg :O

Thanks guys for the fast help :)

just group checkin.. dun think u will overweight if in group..unless all overweight.. lol

If you are a student, write in to SIA via their website, quoting your flight reference number, and you shld be able to get extra baggage allowance. Other than that, if you're taking economy class and flying from SGP, the counter staff can give you a leeway of up to 28kg (that's the max they can give, but depends from staff to staff).

To be honest, how much extra free luggage space (in terms of kg) also depends on the supervisor whos on duty that day...

Dont take too much, else they will start dropping bags out to make sure the plane arrive to destination without running out of fuel first.

If you're doing group check in, the weight limit is per the total of the group. So in this case, the limit is 80 x 20kg = 1600 kg in total. As long the total does not exceed this limit then you're ok.

depends on which class and the destination also.

For SIA, the weight limit is higher than other carriers since we pay a premium. For asia countries, should be 25kg for econ class. SIA also more generous because I ever hit 28kg without paying excess

Try to reach the airport early to check-in, so that you have time to re-arrange your luggage if necessary (put heavy stuff in hand carry luggage, and wear all the thick heavy coat)

When i returned to Singapore after out-station for a year, I ever carried almost 50kg of luggage without paying any excess!!

I packed my suitcase for check-in in such a way that it was 23kg (limit was 20kg) and 15kg of hand carry luggage (1x laptop bag and 1x sling bag) plus 10kg of camera equipment in my camera bag (hand carry). I also wear all my thick coat (even i was sweating like mad) and tie 1 more coat around my waist!

If you are travelling along, may be try to grab another fellow passenger who is not carrying much luggage, and talk to him/her to check-in together in order to share the weight?

ohh...there was once i accidentally place the wheel of the suitcase ON the railing of the weighting machine....so end up my 20kg suitcase become 17kg....hehe

Last edited: