How should I go about shooting on this kinda pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyori

Mar 14, 2007
It was really dark and i only got in built flash..

but no matter how i shoot i could only get the car in focus... but not the human...
slow shutter will be too blurish for a human object

Firestation079.jpg

you need an external flash for that kind of power that you want.

If the camera support AF assist illumination, use it. It will light up the subject for better focus tracking.

Also, if not specified, the camera will decide on which AF points to use, which may not be what you want. Try to select a AF point for the operation and aim that AF point at the subject(model).

From the picture, it is quite apparent that the car offers better contrast compared to the model. If you can, ask the model to wear something of high contrast (e.g. black and white). It may help a little, althou the effectiveness varies.

Or, like what other mentioned in another thread, try tp light up the model with a torch or something, after focus lock then switch it off, then take the picture.

but no matter how i shoot i could only get the car in focus... but not the human...

Built in flash is definetely not enough

You need external speedlight

Switch to Center AF and point little square at subject and lock focus. Increase power output of flash if possible.

Last edited:
Try with "Spot Metering" mode, move the "spot" to her face?

yeah i did af illumnate but even thhough i focus on her still appear dark.. cos i couldnt go too near to the human as i wan capture the car as well.. look like external flash is the key

why choose white car? can the girl wear white too?
the problem is black background, white car.

that will cause the camera to meter the white car and the girl wearing black is underexposed.
use tripod and manual focus on the girl (use torchlight if you cannot see her properly, while manual focusing)
If possible also try off-camera flash (manual mode, zoom to the max) and point to the girl. Dont diffuse, as the white car will then be over-exposed.

since u mention bout diffuse dun mind me asking is there any hard rule when to use a diffuser and not? i tend to use diffuse on potrait shot

how bout trying to increase the flash compensation? to higher inbuilt flash should also have that ma

What about changing the pop-up flash to 2nd curtian, slow the shutter speed to let in more light and increase the pop up flash power to freeze the girl (if the increased power flash can reach her)?

If got railing or stand or support to hold the camera steady due to the slow shutter speed, even better.

for that distance i think pop up flash is not sufficient.
u might wanna consider external flash or even better if u have another car to highbeam the subject from far :D

for such set up, be it built in flash or ext flash mounted on hotshoe will not get the shot you want.

why? because the car is white and much nearer to the light source compare to the person, when the car is correct exposed, the person WILL be underexposed.

and when the person is correct exposed, the car WILL be overexposed.

solution: set up the light OFF camera, aim more to the person than the car, this is how you BALANCE up the exposure.

or else shoot in daylight.

for such set up, be it built in flash or ext flash mounted on hotshoe will not get the shot you want.

why? because the car is white and much nearer to the light source compare to the person, when the car is correct exposed, the person WILL be underexposed.

and when the person is correct exposed, the car WILL be overexposed.

solution: set up the light OFF camera, aim more to the person than the car, this is how you BALANCE up the exposure.

or else shoot in daylight.

i'm not sure abt that but i believe if u direct your flash to the correct angle where your subject(the woman) gets more light than the background(the car) it should be possible.

i think u should take portrait instead of landscape... move closer to the subject and use flash... as i think ur aim is to put the white car and the gal into 1 photo, i dont think u need to include the black car on the right... distracting people might say and ur build in flash do not really have that much power to brighten the surrounding...

but still i think, u wont get good image from this kind of situation unless u r prepared with proper gears... hope im not wrong... ;p

cheers...

Possibly can use a graduated ND filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.