How should I configure my DSLR to make colours richer?

dougs

Jun 7, 2010
Some sort like in vivid mode. Other than post-editing of the pictures, was wondering if I can take very colour-rich pictures, especially during European summers?

Any tips on this?

Thanks!

You should state the camera model you are using so that people can advise better.

To save the time and effort, set the camera before you shoot(if you only shoot in jpg). Otherwise You can always shoot in RAW and adjust after that

Last edited:
i only learn this recently (wols i know)...

if u shoot in raw format... and if u are using canon camera... u can open up this raw format photo in DPP (Digital Photo Professional) supplied together with your camera... then u can apply a S curve on this photo to enhance the colors. :)

Besides camera setting or PP after shoot.
You can use CPL filter during daytime outdoors for richer colour.

for Canon, adjust your picture style
for Nikon, adjust your picture control setting.
The settings will be applied to all JPG and RAW(only if openned by their respective converters, DPP / NX2)
For RAW if you use other converters like Lightroom, Aperture, Adobe Photoshop, the picture style / picture control settings will not be applied. thus you have to adjust your colors during PP

Sometimes a slightly lower exposure will bring out more colors as well.

thanks for the quick replies. I'm using a Nikon D60

I have been wondering about this as well. The colours on some models really pop whereas others don't. Is it the lens, or the body?
The other thing I've realised is that when shooting in Bulb mode, the colours seem alot more vibrant. This of course can be solved by changing the colour saturation to "vivid" as mentioned by previous posters. But what if you just want deeper colours that don't necessarily go off the vivid scale?

something to add,
the exposure,white balance and the scene itself plays a big part on how the color turns out as well
lens does play some part in colors