How should a group model photo shoot be organised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
How should a group model photo shoot be organized, to give the participants the best photography experience and the chance to get that sought after image?

Here is the hypothetical model photo shoot.

1. 1 model.
2. Duration 3 hours inclusive.
3. 3 outfits – 2 smart casual/clubbing, 1 bikini/beach.
4. Make up artist will do the initial make up, & won't be available during the shoot.
5. Let’s assume 6 photographers signed up, this is min/max participants.
6. Organizer is is not photographer. No photography equipmetn provided.
7. Location – in town.
8. Cost - $60 to $75 per pax.

Now, how should the shoot be organized?
Massive orgy, all the photographers jostling for position, all “gunning” for the “kill”;
Each photographer allotted a set time to direct/work the model. Others may shoot over his/her shoulders.

Which do you prefer, and more importantly, why? If you have other alternative suggestions or solutions, we would love to hear them.

I am going to OT my own thread a bit here. How about hearing your own reasons and expectations for joining group model shoots?

For para 6, 6 photog is just too many.

4 photog is the max for a model. :thumbsup:

Agreed. However, within the given parameters, how will you do it?

If you look at all the model shoots, 3 hours and 6 photographers appear to be a very standard norm.

Agreed. However, within the given parameters, how will you do it?

If you look at all the model shoots, 3 hours and 6 photographers appear to be a very standard norm.

Yup, sometimes up to 8 photogs

Agreed, 1 model how to let 6 shoot ? Worse thing to do is to split them into groups of 2 and take turns to shoot. Pay $ liao still have to wait for turn to shoot... 3 hours end up only 1hr plus of shooting time for each participant.

Pay $ liao still have to wait for turn to shoot... 3 hours end up only 1hr plus of shooting time for each participant.
Agreed .... :thumbsup:

dp, told you b4.
1 on 1 is the best.:thumbsup:

seriously don't know.

if mass orgy, not so stress-out! but no originality.

if 1 to 1, super stress-out. throat suddenly grow a lump. brain goes dead! dun know how/what to ask model to pose. model and photographer look each other and nothing happens, clock ticking away!

seriously don't know.

if 1 to 1, super stress-out. throat suddenly grow a lump. brain goes dead! dun know how/what to ask model to pose. model and photographer look each other and nothing happens, clock ticking away!

dunno about you guys, but when i plan to shoot, i think very hard the night before, or many nights before.

i make a list of poses or bookmark magazines, i talk to the model and find out what she likes/dislikes.

then when the actual time comes, i take things at my own pace.look at almost every element before i shoot.
all the comments that i anticipate coming from csers' critics flowed through my mind.
and i fire away.

dp, told you b4.
1 on 1 is the best.:thumbsup:

Ideally i like 1 on 1. Sometimes to split costs, I ask 2 other photog along and still can share ideas and enjoy the shoot

Let me steer us back a bit.

Given senario I outlined, if you have complete charge of the arrangement, how will you do it?

Cost is fixed at $60-$75. How do you, one of six photographers at the model shoot, what to organsise the actual shoot? How?

Realistic?

Assuming a cost of S70.00 per participant, total revenue is $280.00.

How much does it cost to hire a professional model for three hours? $200.00? $250.00?

Which organizer in his right mind wants to do all that work for a paltry $30.00 or $80.00? Not factoring in other expenses.

dunno about you guys, but when i plan to shoot, i think very hard the night before, or many nights before.

i make a list of poses or bookmark magazines, i talk to the model and find out what she likes/dislikes.

then when the actual time comes, i take things at my own pace.look at almost every element before i shoot.
all the comments that i anticipate coming from csers' critics flowed through my mind.
and i fire away.

that is a very good idea. lesson learnt without even paying anything! cheers!

Is the lack of orginality a problem with the "mass orgy"?

Or is it the problem of the photographer?

Ideally i like 1 on 1. Sometimes to split costs, I ask 2 other photog along and still can share ideas and enjoy the shoot

yup yup.

one of the reasons why i do not join cs shoots is, 6 photogs on a model,

1)i'll be damn stressed.cos i'm still in learning stage.
2)i'll just fire behind/beside another photog, so will that make my pic different?other than exposure settings and slight diff in compo(zoom in out).
3)even if the model did a good pose, it could be due to one experience photog in the group.so even if i make a good shot, i wont take credit for it.(cos all i did was to fire the shutter)?:dunno:
4)eye contact.where exactly will the model look?it's 2 eyes vs 12.
5)i'm shy.:embrass: :bsmilie:

Let me steer us back a bit.

Given senario I outlined, if you have complete charge of the arrangement, how will you do it?

Cost is fixed at $60-$75. How do you, one of six photographers at the model shoot, what to organsise the actual shoot? How?

it's tough boy.:confused:

but i would do it this way.

split 2 groups.
1st group, shoot the model looking off camera while the other shoot with eye contact
then switch over.

i really dont see how there is a 'best' way around this.but if i really have no choice and i have 6 photogs and i'm organiser, i will do it as above.

0.25c

that is a very good idea. lesson learnt without even paying anything! cheers!

i've enquire about hiring a model at first.
i was quoted 300-600 depending on which model and her experience.

for a start, i ask some of my good looking friends to be models.practise this way till you know how to communicate with the model well before you even think of going 1 on 1 on a pro model.

more often than not, guys tend to be very very shy towards gals.and if the gal(model) aint comfy, shy, chances are the pics are a goner.

:embrass:

Personally, as MOST models told me, they prefer one-to-one shoot so that they can know the photographer better.

i've enquire about hiring a model at first.
i was quoted 300-600 depending on which model and her experience.

for a start, i ask some of my good looking friends to be models.practise this way till you know how to communicate with the model well before you even think of going 1 on 1 on a pro model.

more often than not, guys tend to be very very shy towards gals.and if the gal(model) aint comfy, shy, chances are the pics are a goner.

:embrass:
Actually, once you get better, you will find that pro or amateur models, make little difference.

And you are correct. I rarely see any of the photographers I shot with, the male side of the spieces, talk to the model at all during the shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.