How sharp is this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Tried taking some normal landscape pics but they just dont look sharp enough. Anyway...I tried to take a pic of flowers at home and got this pic......Is this considered sharp enough or must be sharper? Taken with a Fuji S5500.

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/6521/dscf01709ou.jpg

Pls note that your image is way too big for this forum. I've edited your post to a link instead.

ClubSNAP

Opps sorry......thanks.....

boroangel said:
Tried taking some normal landscape pics but they just dont look sharp enough. Anyway...I tried to take a pic of flowers at home and got this pic......Is this considered sharp enough or must be sharper? Taken with a Fuji S5500.

http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/6521/dscf01709ou.jpg

What do you mean by "must be shaper" I think you might be placing too much pressure on yourself. Given what camera you are using and there is the subtle movement of the plant in the light wind. It could have been abit sharper but that could be because of the apeture you use, your hand holding at that particular shutter speed..etc. Overall it is not too bad. Could have compose the scene abit better but in terms of sharpness it is not bad. and if you have to make comparison, do so with similar prosumer..don't try to compete against the likes of DSLRS like the D70 lah...although I dare say if you are pretty good with your hand holding technique, choosing the right speed and aperture...you can give the entry level DSLRS a good fight.

sammy888 said:
What do you mean by "must be shaper" I think you might be placing too much pressure on yourself. Given what camera you are using and there is the subtle movement of the plant in the light wind. It could have been abit sharper but that could be because of the apeture you use, your hand holding at that particular shutter speed..etc. Overall it is not too bad. Could have compose the scene abit better but in terms of sharpness it is not bad. and if you have to make comparison, do so with similar prosumer..don't try to compete against the likes of DSLRS like the D70 lah...although I dare say if you are pretty good with your hand holding technique, choosing the right speed and aperture...you can give the entry level DSLRS a good fight.

Thanks for the comments sammy...this pic was taken with a zoom in and handheld......the reason I was trying to show this pic was it was one of my 'sharper' pics...I seem to have a problem with landscape....I used a tripod and then played with both the A and S mode.....varying the aperture and the shutter speeds from oen end to the other and tried to compare the pics.......but they all look the same to me???:dunno: ........and they dont seem as sharp (like a bit soft) as the flower pic (although this could be sharper) I took.

I suspect that it could be that my iso was constant throughout and it could be too light sensitive hence making the pics kinda 'overexposed' a bit and become soft? Really dont wanna keep shooting in Auto mode hence playing around with the manual settings.

By the way.....I checked my EXIF on these trial shots and the white balance was manual....not auto.....must find a way to keep them at manual when we use A and S mode?

boroangel said:
Thanks for the comments sammy...this pic was taken with a zoom in and handheld......the reason I was trying to show this pic was it was one of my 'sharper' pics...I seem to have a problem with landscape....I used a tripod and then played with both the A and S mode.....varying the aperture and the shutter speeds from oen end to the other and tried to compare the pics.......but they all look the same to me???:dunno: ........and they dont seem as sharp (like a bit soft) as the flower pic (although this could be sharper) I took.

I suspect that it could be that my iso was constant throughout and it could be too light sensitive hence making the pics kinda 'overexposed' a bit and become soft? Really dont wanna keep shooting in Auto mode hence playing around with the manual settings.

By the way.....I checked my EXIF on these trial shots and the white balance was manual....not auto.....must find a way to keep them at manual when we use A and S mode?

I am not totally familair with your camera but I do know it is a pretty good one for what you pay. In the most general sense. Using S or A as it is ...is really no difference. If I set to S mode and set it to 1/60 then your camera's apeture might automatically adjust it to say...f5.6. Now with the same scene...I set to A mode and select 5.6..most likely your camera will automaticall set shutter speed to 1/60. So in a sense, S & A do cancel each other out in a "perfect world" But what makes it difference is your metering I think will play a big part too. So in a typical scene, I might be moving my camera around the general scene I am shooting to take a reading off various objects to see how bright and dark various portion of the scne gets. Then I might need to make an educated guess as to what setting I might set. I do that by switching over to manual mode to control both shutter speed and apeture. Then I will either over and underexpose the shot. The same goes for your shots too. You have to be able to learn how your camera's metering works. See if you can control it by changing the speed or apeture. If you have a camera that is more centre weighted but if your scene has a bright spot at the top left corner and the centre part is abit more dim. Your camera might not care much for the bright spot at the top and being centre weighted youre camera wil try to use a slower speed or wider apeture to brighten that dim centre portion. Hope you get what I mean. So when you click the picture...you most likely will get a picture with an over burn white hot spot in the top corner but the centre portion is more well lit. This can give you an over exposed picture and some over exposure tend to soften the picture and/or also washout your picture.

In normal lighting situtation when lighting is not as challenging...meaning..very even and focus mainly towards the centre of the picture...auto metering or just trusting what your casmer choose for you will be 100% fine. But when lighting becomes complicatied with one up at the top, another at the bottom right and a few dim shaded areas...then you have a problem, You might need to use a flash or you might compensate to bring out more details inthe dim portion as that is more important to you...etc. This is where you need to shoot more and learn more to be better lah heh. ALot of things contribute to a good shot. How you hold, what white balance you choose, what speed you choose and how much depth of field you need. If you shoot on auto mode..there is a likelihood most of your shots will be the same.

YOu are basically still using a PnS prosumer camera ...quality will be not as good as the DSLRs as I mention. And the lens that comes with your camera plays a bit part in how sharp it gets at its best...and how much depth of field at it's smallest apeture and at it's widest to help you get more of a blurred background. WIth PnS...you will not get too much of it I am afraid. So you have to know what are the plus and minuses of your camera. I look at your picture it is not too bad in term of shaprpness for that camera. You can sharpen it abit more with a program or you can live with it. You are looking at it from a monitor and given it's large size, you are seeing it really up close! heeh..as it is only a 4mp camera you can't expect too much but I bet if you print it out in those 3R or 4R or even A4...it should be quite okay. 4MP is not that much difference from my former Sony S70 3.2mp....it look pretty sharp...till I put it next to my D70's shot...big big diffence! heheh..So...don't over play the situation. You want to see really how good your camera's best sharpness can get...go to those website that does camera review that feature your camera like this one ( try it) http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_s5100_samples.html

Go and open up their big original file and take alook at it and see what kind of quality you can get when the camera is being tested by a photographer who knows how to shoot. I don't think you will see much difference in quality. Maybe he is abit better then you in composing the shots heheh but the quality of the lens and camera should be about on par.

I still am not sure what you meant by problem with landscape? heh...

sammy888 said:
I am not totally familair with your camera but I do know it is a pretty good one for what you pay. In the most general sense. Using S or A as it is ...is really no difference. If I set to S mode and set it to 1/60 then your camera's apeture might automatically adjust it to say...f5.6. Now with the same scene...I set to A mode and select 5.6..most likely your camera will automaticall set shutter speed to 1/60. So in a sense, S & A do cancel each other out in a "perfect world"

I still am not sure what you meant by problem with landscape? heh...

Wow....thanks for taking the time out to type all that....for landscape its like where should I focus on so that the buildings and mountains behind are all in focus ? When I focus on too far sometimes I get a red auto focus sign.......so I think focusing on the mounatins may be wrong?

What I did was just do a simple trial by taking shots outsdie my windows on the outside street and flats.......I do understand the point about A and S equivalent.....what I meant was like for example if I just use A mode......I vary my aperture from f2.8 to 8 and shoot a few pics on the same outside view of my window within this aperture range.....and the pics look the same to me....soft.....so I was thinking it could be because my ISO was constant at 200 when it should maybe be lower? Say around 64 or 100. Cos it may be too bright to require ISO 200 so too much light is sensed hence making it slightly overexposed and soft. The white balance was also manual although I never adjust it.....

Maybe I should use the M mode and run the trial again? Like set aperture at 2.8 and do a range of shutter speeds at this f2.8...then set fat 4 and run the same shutter speeds again and so on till I reach f8.

Going next week on trip...dunno if should just set to auto and shoot.....seems like the Auto doing much better than me now...;p

boroangel said:
Wow....thanks for taking the time out to type all that....for landscape its like where should I focus on so that the buildings and mountains behind are all in focus ? When I focus on too far sometimes I get a red auto focus sign.......so I think focusing on the mounatins may be wrong?

Maybe I should use the M mode and run the trial again? Like set aperture at 2.8 and do a range of shutter speeds at this f2.8...then set fat 4 and run the same shutter speeds again and so on till I reach f8.

Going next week on trip...dunno if should just set to auto and shoot.....seems like the Auto doing much better than me now...;p

Well usually for landscape shots, it is basically a wide angle scene and you would want to capture as much of the foreground and background with as much clarity and sharpness. Personally I will not choose anything below F8 or even F16 with my DSLR lens. Focusing on the building or the mountain. That is hard to say. As I mentioned before it is about you being familar with what your camera can do. With some lens focus at infinity might not even mean a sharp shot. Again where you focus, can your camera allow you to lock the focus you just gotten by aiming at the mountain or the building? This one only you can know and that is as alway by playing around with your camera and yes..TAKE NOTES. I use to do that myself..I play with the camera alot and take notes. Taking notes also help you remember it...you keep doing that till it become second nature to you.

What you just mention as a trial test is a good start. Doing so will not only show you what your camera can do but also teach you the basics of photography.

Well for your trip, if the weather is good and you have relatively good lighting, shooting on auto mode would be fine but if your viewfinder allows it, try to keep your apeture at about F8 and your shutter speed not lower then 1/60 at least...thus you will have a higher chance of coming back with more still and sharp shots. It is a guideline only lah. If you are able to get higher shutter speed and up f16 apeture..even better.

Good too if you could keep to as low an ISO setting for most of your shots. In shady places, night or dim lit places use your flash to do some illumination or fill-in flash. Even if higher ISO speed might be full of noise or grainy...but if you have to get that special shot then be willing to increase it to a higher setting like 400 or even 800 and beyond if you have too temporary for those shot. ( just make sure you remember to reset it back later). Those picture might be a bit more noisy but at least you bring something home as a keep sake. You are not here to try to impress us or worry about getting critism from us heheh. You should try to spend some time before your trip to do abit of shooting in the day, in shade and evening...to get abit of practice. Because when you are on your trip, that is the last place and time you should be practice how to shoot heh. Don't also pressure yourself too much...you are suppose to enjoy your trip not there to join a photography contest.

I know you want to be able to capture the best photo to help given you a double joy of being able to visit a new country and to be able to bring home some great shots heh. Tell you when I first took up photography and my first year or so..I screw up alot of stuff during a few holiday but at least I shot something that folks back home can see and love seeing it..even if my exposure was abit off, some got abit shaky or blur as I use the wrong speed for some moving action shots..etc. If you like try the other PROGRAM MODE too to see what they can do that might help you out when you are lost as to what to do when it come time to shoot.

Remember to lock down your AF once you have choosen what you want to shoot even if it is off centre. I take it you know how to do that right? heh.

boroangel said:

Hi, I have seen much "sharper" photos (in your terms) with my KM Dimage x31... I'm also using a Fuji S5600 (quite similar to your S5500?) and so I know it should be able to produce much better results than the photo you have posted. How far are you from the flower? Forget about ISO, bla bla bla... set it to full AUTO, enable Macro AF and shoot it again from a distance of one feet. I'm sure you will get way better result than this. Waiting your update.

EDIT: Sammy888 is right about the ISO settings. The lower the ISO, the lesser the noise.

Look OK to me...:bigeyes:
How sharp you want??? Go PS and sharpen to the max la than become super sharp lor...:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.