how sharp is NIKON 105mm VR?? compared to prime lens??

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
Hi guys, I am considering buying this lens. Before, i was thinking of either getting this one or 18-200mm VR. but I removed 18-200mm VR from my list since its not sharp enough (according to lot of reviews that i have read).

However, I want to know HOw sharp is 105mm VR??? please do not talk about old 105mm. I am only interested getting the new one.

and I also think of getting 50mm 1.4 PRime lens. which one is sharper??? 50mm 1.4 or 105mm VR???

some people has written that 105mm VR can be used as prime lens, is this true??

and this is also what i really want to know, can i seriously think the focal length in lens (like 1.4 for 50mm and 2.8 in 105mm) as indication of quality??
like 50mm 1.4 will beat 105mm VR in terms of sharpness since it has smaller focal length, 1.4 compared to 2.8?? Is this faulty? or my interpretation correct??

thank you for all answers in advance. your answers mean a lot to me.

Hi guys, I am considering buying this lens. Before, i was thinking of either getting this one or 18-200mm VR. but I removed 18-200mm VR from my list since its not sharp enough (according to lot of reviews that i have read).

However, I want to know HOw sharp is 105mm VR??? please do not talk about old 105mm. I am only interested getting the new one.

and I also think of getting 50mm 1.4 PRime lens. which one is sharper??? 50mm 1.4 or 105mm VR???

and this is also what i really want to know, can i seriously think the focal length in lens (like 1.4 for 50mm and 2.8 in 105mm) as indication of quality??
like 50mm 1.4 will beat 105mm VR in terms of sharpness since it has smaller focal length, 1.4 compared to 2.8?? Is this faulty? or my interpretation correct??

The 105VR _is_ a prime lens.. As long as it's not a zoom, it's a prime focus lens, with only a single focal length. If I tell you the lens is very sharp, how would you believe me? It's designed for macro photography, so the sharpness is optimised for near objects.

50/1.4 and 105/2.8VR has different focal lengths and maximum aperture. Comparing sharpness like that doesn't do you any good because it's not just about sharpness. The different focal lengths will give you different angle of view so the perspective you would get will be different.

I have no problems with the sharpness of the 18-200VR. It depends on how big you want to blow the prints up to.

Last edited:
judging by the your questions, i can assure you, the 18-200VR is sharp enough! :)

P.S- you seem to be confusing F-number with focal length (both of which have more-or-less nothing to do with image sharpness.) i suggest you Google those terms up :)

further compounding on what lsisaxon said, why don't you search on flickr for photo taken with those lenses? That'll give you a pretty good indication of sharpness and IQ

Last edited:
just try it. see the 18-200mm is sharp enough in your opinion.

whilst reviews can be quite plentiful on the internet, without user experience, its just building perceptions on other's perceptions.

and yes, the 105mm f2.8 VR is darn sharp, like all nikon micro lenses.

You have all your terminology mixed up. Read the newbies guide first.

first thing, 105 macro VR f2.8 it is a prime lens, (prime lens aka fix focal length lens)

second thing, I have no issue about the sharpness of the 105 macro VR f2.8 lens, and also, the sharpness of a photo are related to the camera handling method and focusing, aka user problem.

third thing, lenses have different focal length are not as indication of quality of the lens.

first thing, 105 macro VR f2.8 it is a prime lens, (prime lens aka fix focal length lens)

second thing, I have no issue about the sharpness of the 105 macro VR f2.8 lens, and also, the sharpness of a photo are related to the camera handling method and focusing, aka user problem.

third thing, lenses have different focal length are not as indication of quality of the lens.

if focal length is not indication of quality, why the lens which has smaller focal length usually is more expensive in the market?? like 50mm 1.4 is more expensive than 50mm 1.8

can you tell me about this?

if focal length is not indication of quality, why the lens which has smaller focal length usually is more expensive in the market?? like 50mm 1.4 is more expensive than 50mm 1.8

That's f-stop my friend not focal length.... the 50 1.4 is more expensive since it can go down to f1.4, hence letting in a tad more light. In doing so it needs to have better glass elements. And also, the 50 1.4 is built better than the almost all plastic 50 1.8 . Both will perform pretty much the same though.

I will echo on what is mentioned earlier. Since you're new to photography, read up more on the terms used so that you can understand better. It really seems like for now, you are getting confused. And the your notion of f-stops and focal range and sharpness to price is way way off.... nothing wrong bro, just keep on learning. :)

Length has a unit in mm (millimeters). Same with focal length.. the '50mm' is the focal length. What you're referring to is the aperture f-number, which is a reciprocal of the opening size with respect to the focal length. So f-number has no units because it is a ratio of the focal length (mm) with respect to the diamater (mm).

f/1.4 = 50mm/1.4 has a bigger opening than f/1.8 = 50/1.8, so it allows more light through. This is at the expense of a larger diameter optics, which is why it's more expensive.

Last edited:

Read the replies to you. You have ALL the terminology mixed up.

one question, has so many replies, all I can say is: WOW

TS you are very fortunate, some people posted question for months has nobody responded.

Last edited:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

haha ask TS go buy D3, all his pictures make people go WOW, don't need to learn about all these things already. heh :bsmilie:

TS you are very fortunate, some people posted question for months has nobody responded.

okay, i guess i am. thanks everybody. i am sorry that i get so mixed up with the terms. but i know that 1.4 will allow more light to come in though.

okay, can you guys tell me what influence the sharpness??

so what about 105mm vs 50mm 1.8/1.4?? which one is sharper. thats really what i want to know. or maybe i should say, which one produce the better image quality?

Last edited:

Simple: how well the lens was designed and manufactured.

so what about 105mm vs 50mm 1.8/1.4?? which one is sharper. thats really what i want to know

You are aware that these two lenses are totally different, right? The 105 is about 2x the "zoom" of the 50mm.

and I suggest you search online for the numerous reviews, such as on photozone.de

Try to learn for yourself, don't ask to be spoonfed.

okay, i guess i am. thanks everybody. i am sorry that i get so mixed up with the terms. but i know that 1.4 will allow more light to come in though.

so what about 105mm vs 50mm 1.8/1.4?? which one is sharper. thats really what i want to know

All three are very very sharp lenses. The major difference is that the 105 cannot go below 2.8, BUT it's superbly sharp at 2.8.... in the case of 50 1.4, it's soft at 1.4, but gets sharp at 2.8. Same with the 50 1.8. It's not practical comparing sharpness on these 3 since they will all yield sharp photographs. It will all boil down to what focal length you will reall want, and the price. The 105VR is a dedicated 1:1 macro lens, and it is really really sharp as most macro lenses are. The 50 1.4/1.8 are versatile fast normal lenses that are more versatile, but are not 1:1 macro. :)

What influences sharpness? The quality of the lens and the design. One has to really test the lens, or to research on what others have experienced. Price may be a general factor in determining quality and sharpness of the lens, but there are alot of exceptions... a very good example is the Nikkor 50 1.8. I can enumerate more, but I'll take all day. Take our advice, read up on these things, they are all found on the net. You'll learn much faster that way, cheers bro...

Last edited:

so what about 105mm vs 50mm 1.8/1.4?? which one is sharper. thats really what i want to know. or maybe i should say, which one produce the better image quality?

the fact of the matter is that you can't compare the 3 lenses. not in this way. let me give you an example. assuming you use it for portraits, with the 50mm you stand, say 1.5m away. with the 105mm, you have to stand about 2.5m away (to get the same framing). (i made up the numbers, cause i've never used a 105mm. but you get what i'm trying to say?)

Plus the fact that the 105mm is primarily a macro (or micro) lens, while the 50mm is more of a portrait/general purpose one.

why are you so insistent on finding out IQ?:dunno:

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept" - H. Cartier Bresson :thumbsup:

note that a super sharp lens isn't gonna give you a WOW photo if you don't use it properly

Last edited:
yeah quit fussing over what to buy and stop nitpicking little details in your gear.
otherwise you'll find that nothing is ever going to work for you, just buy to display.

Status
Not open for further replies.