How often you change your computer / laptop / Note Book?

How often you change your computer / laptop / Note Book?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenntbk

Feb 5, 2005
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Currently I facing some software problems with my notebook. My current notebook has been with me for more than 2 years and I find my notebook getting slower and slower each day.

Problems that I encounter with my notebook.
a) Alway "hang" or No response when I created more than 4 tab of window explorers or delete the files. I have to "force" it to close. Even its close, the delete icon still there.
b) Slow in open up 3 or more applications at the same time. Approx 3-4 sec to open up the application.

Queries
a) Is it time to change?
b) Should I reformat my hardisk?

I've been using my white macbk for 2 years and i recently changed to a black macbk. Now i just need to upgrade the hdd and memory.;)
Though i'm planning to buy a macbook pro before i graduate to take advantage of the student price.:bsmilie:
BTW, you could defrag your com more often, increase hdd space, increase memory and try not to install any pirated software.

Currently I facing some software problems with my notebook. My current notebook has been with me for more than 2 years and I find my notebook getting slower and slower each day.

a) Alway "hang" or No response when I created more than 4 tab of window explorers or delete the files. I have to "force" it to close. Even its close, the delete icon still there.
b) Slow in open up 3 or more applications at the same time. Approx 3-4 sec to open up the application.

Queries
a) Is it time to change?

Depends on the OS you have installed, and programs you want to install and use.

You should check Task Manager under "Processes" just after startup to check what is loaded into memory. Most of the programs you find there can be disabled or removed as necessary.

A reformat would be good however a new HDD is your best bet as renewal of this can breath new life into an older system, then use the original HDD as an external device to transport files. Memory in the Laptop should be maxxed as much and as possible (4Gb for 32bit Windoze) and make sure the memory is the fastest your laptop mobo can support.

I have found, using a desktop as primary computer in the house works best for heavy Post Processing work as well as having a few programs open at the same time. A good motherboard can have CPU and Memory upgrades over time to keep improving performance. I have found the main Hard Disk is best kept for OS with secondary HDD for programs then third for files such as photos and other documents as well as photoshop scratch disk.

it is a common problem for windows.. best if you could re-install your OS. Be sure to backup your data first :)
If you are using vista, you might consider changing to windows 7. IMO, Win vista is crap.

Furthermore, in the future, do partition your hdd to an OS partition and DATA partition. In that way, even when you reformat your OS partition, your data in your DATA partition will still be available..

I got my Acer TM 3294 in Dec 2007, crashed like nobody's business, bought a HP Pavilion DV5 in Oct 2008, Vista has to be worst OS ever designed.

Bought a Black MacBook in Jan 2009. Haven't look back since.

though Acer has the 2nd largest market share now

i still shun acer notebooks
my friend's acer com encounter the blue screen error every other day... she reformatted more than 5 times and sent for repairs around 5 times too...
and mine you this did not happen to only a friend of mine
it happened to most other acer user friends i had

i will never try acer after so many bad encounters my friends had

as for TS's case
try reformatting
and clear your cache on a weekly basis
defrag weekly too

point to note.. defrag too much (everyday twice) might cause some damage to the hard drive
so don't overdo it either

Last edited:
are you using windows?? in the past when i used windows desktop, i had to reformat like once a year if not it will be sluggish and annoying.

i'm just the average casual computer user and i think you should probably:
1. upgrade your memory
2. reformat

btw, i swapped to mac and it worked well for 2 years. this year (in its third year), i found it slightly slowing cos the newer program upgrades like firefox and lightroom needed to use more memory so i upgraded the memory. and now it works well again! in 3 years havent reformatted or 'defrag' at all. :)

Assembled a top-of-the-line desktop setup in Dec 2005, got the Macbook Aluminum Unibody this March 2009, so about 3 years before I think about upgrading.

Although I must say, the new 27" iMac really is tempting.

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and advice.

I using window vista for my note book. I always defrag my notebook and scan any potential viruses on weekly basis. There're no pirated software was installed. Maybe I should max up, as some of you suggested, to 4 Gb Ram as currently it is only 3Gb ram.

I don't like the ideal of reformat my HDD as there alway take time to install programme again. :(

Thanks everyone for your suggestion and advice.

I using window vista for my note book. I always defrag my notebook and scan any potential viruses on weekly basis. There're no pirated software was installed. Maybe I should max up, as some of you suggested, to 4 Gb Ram as currently it is only 3Gb ram.

I don't like the ideal of reformat my HDD as there alway take time to install programme again. :(

I got a good website to introduction.
http://ninite.com/
It's for people like you and me who finds it troublesome to install daily programs one by one after reformating. Basically this website has lots of programs, you just tick them and download the custom installer and install it.. It's tat easy... ;)

Use msconfig to remove any unneeded process for startup and running in the background.

Most people's notebook can last at least 3 years. Here is how it works for mine. I will reload the whole system/OS once a year. If I am planning to use the notebook for more than 3 years, I will add additional memory and change the hard disk to a larger capacity at the end of the 2nd year of usage.

you might be getting that because of :

1) spyware
2) need to defragment hard disk
3) heat problems

for the first, do a clean using anti virus program + malwarebytes
for the second, defragment hard disk
for the third, check if you have vents leading out from the bottom, use your camera blower when the laptop is on, blow it. you'd be surprised how much dust can get trapped inside.

if it still doesn't work, then put it down to aging i guess. i have been using my laptop for 2 years plus, it's running as fast as it was new with constant and careful maintenace.

though Acer has the 2nd largest market share now

i still shun acer notebooks
my friend's acer com encounter the blue screen error every other day... she reformatted more than 5 times and sent for repairs around 5 times too...
and mine you this did not happen to only a friend of mine
it happened to most other acer user friends i had

i will never try acer after so many bad encounters my friends had

as for TS's case
try reformatting
and clear your cache on a weekly basis
defrag weekly too

point to note.. defrag too much (everyday twice) might cause some damage to the hard drive
so don't overdo it either

Using any recent Windows (WinXP, Vista, 7), there is no need to defrag(ment) sooner than every 2 months if it's using a drive formatted as NTFS and even then, the operating system should warn if that's not necessary.

TS: If the anti-virus, anti-spyware software hasn't been updated recently, you could have loads of malware slowing the machine.

Thanks bousozoku, night86mare, CS TAN, NovJoe & ITphobia.

I will try to re-format again as suggested if not I will get another computer again in another few months down the road. Maybe Mac would be a better choice.

about every 2 years

bought my current MBP at late 2007 and it's perfectly fine

don't plan to change anytime soon

Queries
a) Is it time to change?

how much RAM does your laptop have? maybe you're opening more applications than the memory can handle

defragmenting does help in speeding up disk performance, but even if it's not done, shouldn't really slow the application up to that extent

my laptop is almost 3 years old, but apart from the battery, system seems ok so far. it's good if you do regular maintenance, e.g. defrag, disk cleanup. i think re-installing the OS every now and then is a good idea too

battery dead because i have been using the laptop plugged in with the AC adapter. now i have to remove the battery when using it, otherwise then my system will hang completely, strange...

Thanks bousozoku, night86mare, CS TAN, NovJoe & ITphobia.

I will try to re-format again as suggested if not I will get another computer again in another few months down the road. Maybe Mac would be a better choice.

I've maintained a lot of Windows machines, but when I go home, I'd rather use my Mac. It all depends on what you need. You could probably use the Ubuntu distribution of Linux, if you don't care about playing games on Windows. For e-mail, web browsing, and office applications, it's about the same.

The week I bought my Macbook, I already eyeing the Macbook Pro :bsmilie:
Now I am craving over the 27-incher iMac :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.