How often do you use a tele lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolrence

Oct 15, 2006
of 200mm or greater?

I've not touched my 70-300 for a few years already, cause I hardly get to use it :sweat: (It belongs to my dad, else, I would have sold it)

So for the rest of you who use teles (200mm or more) often, what do you use to shoot with them? Besides wildlife/sports.

:)

landscapes

i kid you not. :)

can be used for street portraits too, but not really my cup of tea.

Great for portraits.... it isolates the BG well. And the tele portion makes you decide which part of the picture you require only...

Once a year. PLAB open house one year, Singapore Air Show the next.

Streets and landscapes as well.

Ryan

Lol. That's interesting... I only carry a 50mm and a 100mm for streets(aren't anything more than 135/200 too long for streets and portraits? unless you like sniping that much :bsmilie:), and 10-20 for landscapes. This 3 lenses are almost always inside my bag, so if I do require a tele for landscapes that are far away, I'll get my 100mm out. (and crop if required) I can't imagine carrying a tele lens for a trip and using having little opportunities to use them... it just adds to the weight :sweat:

Lol. That's interesting... I only carry a 50mm and a 100mm for streets(aren't anything more than 135/200 too long for streets and portraits? unless you like sniping that much :bsmilie:), and 10-20 for landscapes. This 3 lenses are almost always inside my bag, so if I do require a tele for landscapes that are far away, I'll get my 100mm out. (and crop if required) I can't imagine carrying a tele lens for a trip and using having little opportunities to use them... it just adds to the weight :sweat:

my tamron 70-300 is pretty light.. :D :D :D

anyways, i do not like using anything longer than 50mm for street photography per se.

which is why i said "street portraits".

I was planning for a 70-200mm but hold my horse when I really realise since when did I ever really gonna use tele except for a few events

I wud not have used my 18-200VR for more than a dozen times since acquiring it. In the same period, I have taken a few hundred shots with a 60mm 2.8 for macro work and a fair number for portraits/general photos using a 85mm 1.8.

I don't use teles much too. Used to own telezoom lenses in the past, but later sold them as I eventually realised that I rarely use them. If I need tele I can make do with moderate ones.

However if you shoot sports, wildlife, and some nature, teles are quite mandatory.

My main workhorse are my tamron 200-500mm lens for birding and my nikkor 70-210mm f4 lens for nature/portraits shoot. Use them every weekends.

Last edited:
of 200mm or greater?

I've not touched my 70-300 for a few years already, cause I hardly get to use it :sweat: (It belongs to my dad, else, I would have sold it)

So for the rest of you who use teles (200mm or more) often, what do you use to shoot with them? Besides wildlife/sports.

:)

seldom

too heavy

Got it, Sold it. Used less than 20 times in 8 months.

Depends on personal preference and genre of shooting. :)

kidding me! my workhorse is my 500mm lense. Use it 90% of the time. The other lense I use is my Tamron 90mm (9%) for macro. The rest of my lense...(400mm, 70-200f2.8IS, 50mm,VL125f2.5, 17-40f4, 28-105, other I forgot what I have liao) hardly (1%)

kidding me! my workhorse is my 500mm lense. Use it 90% of the time. The other lense I use is my Tamron 90mm (9%) for macro. The rest of my lense...(400mm, 70-200f2.8IS, 50mm,VL125f2.5, 17-40f4, 28-105, other I forgot what I have liao) hardly (1%)

What do you shoot with your 500mm? Nature? Sports? :)

Tried it n Sold it away in a few weeks. Cos the price is not proportional to my usage. Tried taking the moon, flowers, street etc. But i prefer uwa n prime with shallow dof to isolate my subjects.

I wud not have used my 18-200VR for more than a dozen times since acquiring it. In the same period, I have taken a few hundred shots with a 60mm 2.8 for macro work and a fair number for portraits/general photos using a 85mm 1.8.

If i've the 18-200, I forsee myself bringing that lens only on hiking trips.. ;)

Tried it n Sold it away in a few weeks. Cos the price is not proportional to my usage. Tried taking the moon, flowers, street etc. But i prefer uwa n prime with shallow dof to isolate my subjects.

Yea precisely...

I seldom go anywhere longer than 135mm, and I prefer primes anyway, so the 70-200 is out for me, or anything longer. YMMV though, because there's different strokes for different folks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.