How often do you need a monopod?

BrownInu

Sep 22, 2009
Hey guys,

I am planning to get a sirui tripod. I had been reading abt other previous post, the basic of choosing a tripod are weight,
Sturdiness and price.

I had choose to go with sturdiness and weight, reason being the usage will be more traveling.
The heaviest set up will be 550d + grip + 10-22mm.

Pardon for the long winded introduction.
I am currently deciding between sirui T2204 and N2204.

N2204 comes with a detactable monopod which I wonder how often does a photographer require it.
I am not into sports photography, most of my outing will be landscape and portrait. Whenever I am in a confine space, I will usually extend the legs of the tripod without spreading apart. This will act as a tempoary monopod.

Can someone pls share ur view and experience.
Thk u

it depends on what you shoot.

i think a monopod might be more useful for things like macro (daytime).

for me, i primarily shoot landscapes, architecture and cats. so a tripod will do, i don't need a monopod.

If you have the budget,why not go for the one with monopod option?You'll never know when you'll get a lens which needs a monopod for support;)

Monopod is useful (to me) when the place I am going has little space for my tripod to spread its legs or when I need to move around (e.g. birding with walking around looking for them) and I need the extra support from the monopod. I find it is faster to set up or keep a monopod compared to a tripod and saving such time might be crucial if say, I see a bird somewhere and it might fly away anytime. So i just need to "pull" out 1 leg rather than 3 legs.

If you go hiking, your monopod can be ur treking stick too hahha.

I use my monopod when I use my 300mm. That's the only time I use it.

Almost everytime. It works very well when you have heavy glass, limited space to function and expected to stay there for possibly hours.

As a guide:

Shuttle speed < 1/30s = Handheld
Shuttle speed 1/30s - 1/4s = Monopod
...With IS,SSS,VS, etc enabled

Shuttle speed > 1/4s = Tripod
...With IS,SSS,VS, etc disabled

I use my monopod as a boom for lifting my cameras into the air ^^

I got the N2204, monopod option is one of the main reasons I went for it... Sure, I've used it at least once so far... If you only shoot Landscape, you probably won't need it so much. But if you use your DSLR like your second eye, and given the cramp conditions of Singapore... a Monopod is good to have, if you budget permits it... Take it this way, once you got the N2204, you probably won't need to think about monopods in the future... (One less item to hang around in your room).

I got the N2204, monopod option is one of the main reasons I went for it... Sure, I've used it at least once so far... If you only shoot Landscape, you probably won't need it so much. But if you use your DSLR like your second eye, and given the cramp conditions of Singapore... a Monopod is good to have, if you budget permits it... Take it this way, once you got the N2204, you probably won't need to think about monopods in the future... (One less item to hang around in your room).

:thumbsup:
I second that. The N2204 is compact and light enuff to fit into my bookbag.

Besides, won't a tripod function like a monopod if u didnt spread out its legs? :bsmilie:

:thumbsup:
I second that. The N2204 is compact and light enuff to fit into my bookbag.

Besides, won't a tripod function like a monopod if u didnt spread out its legs? :bsmilie:

Sometimes if you know you won't get to use the tripod at all, it's better to shed excess weight and just carry the monopod... Like if you're going to attend the F1 race night...

As a guide:

Shuttle speed < 1/30s = Handheld
Shuttle speed 1/30s - 1/4s = Monopod
...With IS,SSS,VS, etc enabled

Shuttle speed > 1/4s = Tripod
...With IS,SSS,VS, etc disabled

Its shutter not shuttle...