How much would you pay for a model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
Just a question for discussion here.
How much would you pay to shoot a model?
I have come across models whose asking fee is $80 to $150 per hour depending on the theme of the shoot. But I have to question, how do they justify their rates?
Does having a pretty face and sexy body mean they can charge more? But what kind of training did they have?
Several of the models I shot cant pose to save their lives.
I have to guide them to pose and even teach them on their facial expression, which usually dosent work. Then when the picture didnt turn out well...they would quietly say its the photographer lousy.
I guess some of the blame does have to go to the photographer, but if Im paying top dollar for a model, is it too much to expect some standard from her?

I have come across models whose asking fee is $80 to $150 per hour depending on the theme of the shoot. But I have to question, how do they justify their rates?
Does having a pretty face and sexy body mean they can charge more? But what kind of training did they have?
I have to guide them to pose and even teach them on their facial expression, which usually dosent work. Then when the picture didnt turn out well...they would quietly say its the photographer lousy.
I guess some of the blame does have to go to the photographer, but if Im paying top dollar for a model, is it too much to expect some standard from her?

Good question, it all depends on your gut feel and also the portfolio of the model, if you see most of the poses the same and a lack of new facial expressions, then you should have your answer on whether she's worth the money or not...

Many 'model-wannabes' only have one or at most two facial expressions, coupled by the same few boring poses. So even if they have great bodies and pretty faces, is it really worth the dollar to hire them?

1. $150 is not top dollar.

2. The rate obviously depends on the quality.

3. If you think too expensive, don't pay.

Many 'model-wannabes' only have one or at most two facial expressions, coupled by the same few boring poses. So even if they have great bodies and pretty faces, is it really worth the dollar to hire them?

simply agreed

cheers

wat happened to e good old days of being paid to shoot pple ?:bsmilie:

it's still around :bsmilie:

personally i prefer to shoot non-models as i get to improve my portraiture skills and at the same time i save $$$ for better toys :bsmilie:

They justify their rates by whatever they have to show you, just like how a photographer or any other professional justifies their rates. Its up to you to decide if the model is worth it.

As for posing ability, that is something difficult to assess, even with a portfolio. However, I believe that if a video portfolio is provided, one can easily assess the level of posing ability - I can esaily assess from 5 min of video or less. Too bad video portfolios aren't very in demand or the norm.

As for pretty face and sexy body, generally higher quality models will be able to command higher rates. The total level of a model depends not only on looks, face, body but also poise, deportment, x factor and posing ability. Some might be strong in one, weak in others, and the rates you see usually reflect that. If someone does not suit your budget for the level they give, then simply reject her.

Lastly, i would like to point out that it is a fallacy that the photographer's job is to direct a model to pose - I am not sure why this myth seems to be perpetuated, especially among the new/hobby photographers, or hobby photographers who think they are good directors. In high level shoots (where a full team is present, not just photographer and model), the photographer does not have to direct the model, the model will come up with the poses, or the art director will do so. The photographer will only fine tune or adjust based on the angle which he is at, because the art director or model is not able to see the view through the lens. In your situation, where there is no art director, the responsibility then falls mostly on the model, and the photographer can assist, but by no means should be labelled as being lousy because he doesn't direct. Tell the model that she should attend some higher level shoots before she comes to her conclusion.

$150 is really not top dollar.
you'll probably get part time amateurs for that price, and for that, you are better off shooting friends. they are f.o.c., you get to polish up your portraiture skills, and they get a picture to keep after that.

it's still around :bsmilie:

personally i prefer to shoot non-models as i get to improve my portraiture skills and at the same time i save $$$ for better toys :bsmilie:

Doing e same here. at least u get their undivided attention... n they might end up payig u instead in some cases. lolx

heh professionalism on the decline i suppose. both ways.

its not difficult to make a quick buck out of this hobby, be it photographer or photographee.. same reason as to why an increasing influx of photographers and at the same time an influx of photographees..

there are some who remain competent though..

$150/hr is not top dollar i guess, but based on the local salary gauge.. it definitely beats slogging in some other mundane job for $20-$30 an hr.. heck many other jobs dont even pay that much unless one has special skills

Lastly, i would like to point out that it is a fallacy that the photographer's job is to direct a model to pose - I am not sure why this myth seems to be perpetuated, especially among the new/hobby photographers, or hobby photographers who think they are good directors. In high level shoots (where a full team is present, not just photographer and model), the photographer does not have to direct the model, the model will come up with the poses, or the art director will do so. The photographer will only fine tune or adjust based on the angle which he is at, because the art director or model is not able to see the view through the lens. In your situation, where there is no art director, the responsibility then falls mostly on the model, and the photographer can assist, but by no means should be labelled as being lousy because he doesn't direct. Tell the model that she should attend some higher level shoots before she comes to her conclusion.

Thanks for sharing this misconception. I'm sure it sets us photographers mind at ease about our actual responsibilities at the professional level. But I don't think we can apply this 'concept' in amateur shoots, since the shoots usually have only the photog and model, no art director, no stylist, no assistants.

Check this video on how a professional portraiture shoot of Martin Scorsese is being set up (massive coordination), and yet the end-result photo looks (so simple).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wrxlP8Mcg

$150/hr is not top dollar i guess, but based on the local salary gauge.. it definitely beats slogging in some other mundane job for $20-$30 an hr.. heck many other jobs dont even pay that much unless one has special skills

$20-$30 an hr for a mundane job also will guarantee a mundane salary at the end of every mundane month. Whether the one behind the mundane job is really working or surfing CS on company time at the end of the month the mundane pay will come.

Whereas models and full time photographers do not have the luxury of a guarantee monthly salary of $150 an hour for 5 days week with mundane yearly increment, medical leave, annual leave, CPF and many others :) so it is not really high. That's what I also tell my clients especially those in the civil service.

Thanks for sharing this misconception. I'm sure it sets us photographers mind at ease about our actual responsibilities at the professional level. But I don't think we can apply this 'concept' in amateur shoots, since the shoots usually have only the photog and model, no art director, no stylist, no assistants.

Check this video on how a professional portraiture shoot of Martin Scorsese is being set up (massive coordination), and yet the end-result photo looks (so simple).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wrxlP8Mcg

It is all about budget and how much the clients are willing to pay. Got budget, then "wayang" more, no budget than do with what is necessary. Locally, the latter is more or less applied.

Check out their portfolio - no good, no deal.

Maybe if I put it bluntly, i feel some of the models are taking us (Photographers) for suckers.
It's not really their services that is being engaged, more like the photographers just wanna pay money to see gorgeous women scantily dressed or even naked. So when there is a demand there will be supply.
It's no secret that 'sex sells', but to the other genuine photographers they will lose out when they want to engage a really good model for their commercial or personal shoots.
On several occassions I see models advertising themselves for bikini shoots or lingerie shoots. And response tends to be very strong for such occassions. So r we the one encouraging and ultimately creating the problem for ourselves?

Maybe if I put it bluntly, i feel some of the models are taking us (Photographers) for suckers.
It's not really their services that is being engaged, more like the photographers just wanna pay money to see gorgeous women scantily dressed or even naked. So when there is a demand there will be supply.
It's no secret that 'sex sells', but to the other genuine photographers they will lose out when they want to engage a really good model for their commercial or personal shoots.
On several occassions I see models advertising themselves for bikini shoots or lingerie shoots. And response tends to be very strong for such occassions. So r we the one encouraging and ultimately creating the problem for ourselves?

I think that only applies to a certain category of shooters who would pay to see women in less clothing.

as much as it fulfils the task at hand.
cheap models doesnt mean bad photos; nothing wrong with guiding the model with your vision and ideas; its collaborative and reinforces your communication skills

expensive models doesnt mean good photos either; sometimes u just need a fresh face, a newbie, someone open to ideas and trying out new things.

its more rewarding when the model is willing to see him or herself as a partner in your creative process and both work together.

Status
Not open for further replies.