How much will a tablet influence the photography world in years to come??

Shahlan

Dec 2, 2008
Woodlands, Singapore
www.kantaimages.com
As per mentioned in the thread title, I'm letting the floor open for each individual views and comments. How important is a tablet gonna be in the photography world with techonology getting more and more advance by the years...Thanks for everyone's input in advance...

Doing a school project?

answer: Same as a laptop. Less so with the ipad as it is low powered and missing connectivity options. But there are always fads.

I think one of the use of tablets will be a photographer's digital portfolio to show to clients during meet up sessions. Its convenience and hassle free. But of coz with a laptop you can still do the same thing but imagine the 'pinch and zoom' thingy, bring the tablet closer to your eye etc. Furthermore, lcd screens now coming up with 'Super-AMOLED'. More of a 'wow' factor for future clients.

And, you can play 'Angry-Birds' while waiting for your clients before they meet you. ;)

Rashkae said:
Doing a school project?

answer: Same as a laptop. Less so with the ipad as it is low powered and missing connectivity options. But there are always fads.

Nahh..not a sch project..in a 50/50 position as to whether get one for myself..need some justification if were to get..

Shahrie said:
I think one of the use of tablets will be a photographer's digital portfolio to show to clients during meet up sessions. Its convenience and hassle free. But of coz with a laptop you can still do the same thing but imagine the 'pinch and zoom' thingy, bring the tablet closer to your eye etc. Furthermore, lcd screens now coming up with 'Super-AMOLED'. More of a 'wow' factor for future clients.

And, you can play 'Angry-Birds' while waiting for your clients before they meet you. ;)

Thanks bro..as in literally..hahaahaha..still undecided on what to get..s95 and camcorder is out I guess..g11 that I own is good enough for personal use..for both still and video..

i've tried using photography as an excuse to spill for a ipad and failed miserably..

Shooting tethered? No USB port..
Preview shots? Can't calibrate colours on the ipad
Rudimentary PP? Lacking at best.

Thanks bro..as in literally..hahaahaha..still undecided on what to get..s95 and camcorder is out I guess..g11 that I own is good enough for personal use..for both still and video..

:bsmilie::bsmilie: I think tablets are essential in future. For communication purposes. FB is now known as a 'preferred' choice of communication compared to emails and what nots. Ppl get instant answers about opinions. Information shared limitlessly. You learn something new from FB daily.

Talking about photo portfolio. Imagine I show you a photo with 100 'likes' on it. Definitely your photo worth more than it originally is. Show it to your clients or maybe just your friends.

How about photo apps? Serious photo editing on the tablets. Why not? It'll be just a matter of time ADOBE will come up with Photoshop Portable or something. (I'm just giving examples) :think:

We don't know where photography is heading in the future but I suspect technology got something to do with it.

You can also transfer photos from your camera to your tablet on location and see how it look like on bigger screen. And while waiting for your photos to upload, you can still play 'Angry Birds'. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i've tried using photography as an excuse to spill for a ipad and failed miserably..

Shooting tethered? No USB port..
Preview shots? Can't calibrate colours on the ipad
Rudimentary PP? Lacking at best.

That's why Apple will come up with ipad 2, 3, 4. :bsmilie: If there's a need for it, someone will come up with it. But dunno how long will it take. Maybe this year? Technologies are doubling up fast if you notice.

In other words it's not advisable to associate ipad with photography?

Definitely not ipad. Not yet. Actually it depends on what you gonna do. You're not going to use ipad2 as a back up camera to take wedding photos right? Maybe keeping contact with your clients or just use as a digital portfolio then maybe yes, you can associate ipad with photography.

personally, a tablet is more for presentation of data and casual viewing. imagine your fingerprints all over the screen while zooming in to a photograph? touch screen is good, if only they dont leave fingerprints :(

personally, a tablet is more for presentation of data and casual viewing. imagine your fingerprints all over the screen while zooming in to a photograph? touch screen is good, if only they dont leave fingerprints :(

You can always use an anti finger print screen protector on the screen to eliminate most of the finger prints. Unless the finger is damn oily or damped with sauce it should not leave much visible stains.

Till date the tablets are very much a communicator and consumer products. Use as an email client , for short quick communications and media presentation and leisure .

For photography , it lacks the processing juice. But it's a good photo frame and album heh

Last edited:
two opinions on this one.

1) when it actually replaces my work notebook.

2) when clients expect photographers using tablets are Pro.

In the mean time, it still needs work with connectivity, processing power and battery life. The good thing about ipad is that just about anything that can be imagined as its accessory has appeared or in the works.

Industry and 3rd party support will contribute quite a lot to the longevity of any tablet.

There are a few other uses I can think off.

As a mobile photographer, you want connectivity, display, and utility.

Connectivity:
Extremely useful if you are hunting for locations, in areas where you can activate wifi/3g.
Google maps, checking of emails, meet ups etc.

Display:
Of course you can display your work as you go. Eg you walk around doing street photography. Someone come up and ask you casually what you do. You want to show them some good photos you take and your hobby/profession. A bigger better screen definitely beats a mobile phone.

Utility:
Once again using street photography as an example. You can get your subjects to sign off release forms. I know android already have the apps where you can do a digital signature onto a pdf file.
You can immediately send a copy via email to your new client as a copy. etc etc.

Of course if the battery is fantastic, it can double up as your mobile phone with a bluetooth headset. :D

tablet as in the ipad, or the tablet laptops?

if its the Ipad? no.

if its the tablet laptops that u can twist, turn and draw, yes. very helpful, including photoshop

You can always use an anti finger print screen protector on the screen to eliminate most of the finger prints. Unless the finger is damn oily or damped with sauce it should not leave much visible stains.

Till date the tablets are very much a communicator and consumer products. Use as an email client , for short quick communications and media presentation and leisure .

For photography , it lacks the processing juice. But it's a good photo frame and album heh

i bought anti-fingerprint screen protector for my mum's ipad but still got fingerprints. i think its unavoidable really.

My personal Opinion,

Tablets would make my laptops obsolete while my desktop still remains. I've always been a firm advocate of keeping a powerful un-portable PC at home and a portable device on the move, not exactly liking a compromise (laptop). The tablet accomplishes this.

Of course I do not refer to the iPad. No offense to Apple lovers, I think iPad's a fad. The lack of connectivity makes it a tablet and nothing more. Newer tablets (like Asus's more innovative models) have USB and SD slots, not only can you use it to backup photos on the move to a thumb drive (probably not harddrive yet due to lack of power), you can review photos on a larger screen, and do other work on it (for me namely presentations and word processing).

So I think tablets are an important piece of technology. Once they have the same connectivity and sufficient power and battery life, its superior portability to the laptop makes it an invaluable addition to your tech collection.