How much to do a complete overhaul of a Yashica 35 Electro GSN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Temujin

Aug 27, 2004
I got quoted for >150 at some places.. wondering if can get at around 130. Hope someone can recommend me for a good price. Thanks.

Quite a few things to fix

1) Pad of Death
2) Fungus on lens
3) Cleaning of viewfinder window
4) light seals
5) general cleaning.
6) light meter might not working.

I got quoted for >150 at some places.. wondering if can get at around 130. Hope someone can recommend me for a good price. Thanks.

Hi,

$150 sounds about right for the amount of work that needs to be done. Does the camera have some sentimental value? If not, I would suggest that you purchase another working GSN/GTN (around $150 or less) which seems to pop up in B&S every fortnight or so.

Hope it helps.

cheers,
D

someone gave it to me, so I think its kinda right i use it. Where can I get a quote around 150? i seem to be getting quotes ard 180 in the city hall penisular area.....

Hi,

$150 sounds about right for the amount of work that needs to be done. Does the camera have some sentimental value? If not, I would suggest that you purchase another working GSN/GTN (around $150 or less) which seems to pop up in B&S every fortnight or so.

Hope it helps.

cheers,
D

Its kinda hard to give you a price because:
- we've not seen the condition of the camera thus would not be able to judge the amount of work that would need to go into it
- we (or me at least) are not professionals so its pretty hard to put a dollar value on the effort needed.
A CLA typically does not cover some of the repairs that you listed above, meaning items 1 and 6. Parts may also not be available.

Given that film cameras arent the mainstay of business for most camera shops now, my take is that if you've been getting quotes of around $180 based on an examination of the camera, then erm maybe thats the price you'll need to pay.

thanks for the advise everyone. Just one more question, Is it a normal practise to ask the repair person to list down the things to be done before getting the price quote?

Its kinda hard to give you a price because:
- we've not seen the condition of the camera thus would not be able to judge the amount of work that would need to go into it
- we (or me at least) are not professionals so its pretty hard to put a dollar value on the effort needed.
A CLA typically does not cover some of the repairs that you listed above, meaning items 1 and 6. Parts may also not be available.

Given that film cameras arent the mainstay of business for most camera shops now, my take is that if you've been getting quotes of around $180 based on an examination of the camera, then erm maybe thats the price you'll need to pay.

i had mine done at camx a while back. first round i had the light seals replaced, fungus removed, battery compartment cleaned and general cleaning. a few months later i had the battery compartment modded and shutter serviced. both times the damage was $70.

the battery mod was something i regretted not doing initially, might wanna look into that..

Status
Not open for further replies.