How Much To Charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohgui

Jan 31, 2005
La La Land
say... how much should a newbie charge when taking on his/her first ever commercial product shoot? this opportunity was introduced by a friend.

See how good u r first, if u think that u r able to handle the shot with class, go ahead and qoute them higher...but nowadays, most companies want good and cheap....well.....

good stuffs r never cheap.....

cheap stuffs r never up to standard loh...

I guess it would depend on how much time it takes to set up to shoot the products.

And also how many products are there to shoot? If there is volume in the products and they all use the same background same lighting same composition, you can go lower in price to make up in quantity.

If just one shot in a blue moon type, charge one-shot-in-a-blue-moon price. :)

My last misadventure taught me something...
Find out what's the market rate for a specific product shoot and charge it at that price.

Like what sion had said, charge once-a-blue-moon price.

i was told that the shoot will take place in the morning and the afternoon. was also told that free lunch and drinks provided but nothing was mentioned about monetary payment.

btw, the shoot is gonna be at a club. i'm supposed to shoot the club's amenities, premises, products etc. i'm assuming they will use the pictures for their brochures and stuff.

another question; let's say if payment was made... who has the rights to the images? can i still use them as part of my portfolio for future use?

Be the bad guy, ask directly abt payment. Dun feel paiseh or anything.

The last thing u'd want is not opening ur mouth and ask abt monetary payment and give others a free shoot, free photos.

People's automatic button nowadays spoil liaoz. If u expect ppl to 'automatically' to offer u payment in return for ur sweat, sorry to say that this 'automatic button' would never, ever be available.

Yes what's a good rate to charge?

jsbn said:
People's automatic button nowadays spoil liaoz. If u expect ppl to 'automatically' to offer u payment in return for ur sweat, sorry to say that this 'automatic button' would never, ever be available.
"Automatic button" also must need finger and go and press...
Anyway, if it's your friend who intro you the lobang, ask how much the company is willing to pay. A ballpark figure of a few hundreds for a starter shouldn't be too much to ask.

usually those pictures can be used as portfolio one la...

of course they will feel that they will own the pics once they have paid for them. so its actually a photograher-company agreement, agreed upon a contract that who will own the pictures and who will be creditted for them...

there is a crappy copyright law in singapore, so maybe a fellow cser lawyer can help ? :bsmilie:

no matter the case. u still have to charge them. and if they are using it for advertisement. its better to charge them higher since u dun know when they will ever call you again for a commercial shoot..:confused:

u charge high, u wun spoil the market since the pricing is there, :)

and since you are recommended, i believe that u must have a certain standard to be recommended right ? so i believe they will not have quality issues with you also... ;)

charge them high, burn their pockets, let them pay u well so ur efforts wun go to a waste, and ur works go uncredited... ;)

Do up ur own receipt and bill it to the company.

Prior to that, talk directly to the company regarding the pricing and credits.

Sometimes its better to play the role of the 'bad and materialistic bugger' den to stay low, keep quiet, be humble and in the end getting fleeced, screwed and stabbed all in a day's work.

I just saw a photog on easycruise taking some shots of a model and the employees, what's the ballpark figure for that? Usually i find when people intro to others, esp when you're starting out, they're hoping to get good and cheap. With the emphasis on cheap.

Estimate the worth* of an hour of work multipe it by the estimate time it's going to take to complete Job?

* only you possess the ans.

My two cents.

Well for non full time photogs it's quite difficult to peg it to the day job rates, i think that's why there's always questions on how to price. Mohgui, personally i think you should get an upfront amount first, say 10-50%, a more comprehensive list of what they want you to do and press them for an answer.

The list of what they want to shoot is important so they don't suddenly say in 8 hours shoot the entire club, all the employees and club mascot, delivered on a DVD. You could also charge based on the number of photos, with a minimum amount.

The free lunch thing, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, it all sounds a bit fishy.

Put it in a more nasty manner...

Free lunch in exchange for free photos.

The typical answer would be, "U think lunch no need money to order har?"

definitely charge...
by going to a "newbie" they are already probably saving a lot more thanif they got a professional in to do pictures for their collateral.

but by nomeans should they hope to get away with just a free lunch... i would say at least a couple of hundred bucks.

if you want to be clear on ownership, just make it clear somewhere in writing that you reserve the right to use the pictures for your portfolio.

That's why I think he's asking around HERE to find out what the market rate is.

So far however, it looks like he's not getting much assistance though - I don't know the answer either, but I reckon there are people in this thread who do.

jsbn said:
My last misadventure taught me something...
Find out what's the market rate for a specific product shoot and charge it at that price.

Like what sion had said, charge once-a-blue-moon price.

I'll answer what I do know.

If payment is made, and in the absence of any agreement to the contrary, copyright belongs to them. Technically speaking, you can't use them as part of anything unless it was already pre-agreed before hand.

Moral of the story? Make sure these points are discussed and agreed before you shoot for them, or heaven forbid, pass the photographs to them.

mohgui said:
another question; let's say if payment was made... who has the rights to the images? can i still use them as part of my portfolio for future use?

guys... thanks for the advise.

i happened to ask my fren what if they won't pay and i don't shoot... he mentioned then the club will source for volunteer photog to shoot.

so... another dilemma. should i forego this shoot just because i don't make money out of it or should i just take up this assignment with whatever little i get but treat this as an opportunity to start building up my portfolio. you never know when the next opportunity to shoot commercially will come around.

mohgui said:
guys... thanks for the advise.

i happened to ask my fren what if they won't pay and i don't shoot... he mentioned then the club will source for volunteer photog to shoot.

so... another dilemma. should i forego this shoot just because i don't make money out of it or should i just take up this assignment with whatever little i get but treat this as an opportunity to start building up my portfolio. you never know when the next opportunity to shoot commercially will come around.

the club is trying to make use of wannabes to extort free service. quality is probably not on their mind. there're so many clubs around, unless it's some grotesquely famous and prestigious club which everyone would literary die to join, you're not going to get any future returns out of the free service. you have to consider whether you really need a commercial portfolio, turning your hobby into a money making affair has its price.

Status
Not open for further replies.