How much to charge for product shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Hi!

I have a jobbie which need me to take "product/still life" of women's fashion accessories worn on the fingers or hands. Just wondering how much do "freelancers" charge? Per shot or go by the hour? Expecting about 50-80 shots? I am also thinking of printing them out in 8x12" and 4x6" with album for my client. Photoshop is inclusive, guess need to healing brush out all the moles and stuff. ;p

I think setup would be pretty simple, just thinking of cam on tripod, lens, trigger 1 flash on a huge 56" umbrella on lightstand. Shooting in RAW and deliver in TIF + JPG. It will be used for printing on a magazine and poster. I just hope its not a big poster. ;p

Thanks ortega. But how much? Say 1/2 day, if i go by events rate that'd be ard $360?

Think I need to go buy some A3 paper for the background. Just simple ones will do.

why the need to use 56" umbrella if the fashion accessories are worn on fingers or hands? (my sense is that the products are no larger than the fingers or hands on which they are worn on.)

reachme2003 said:
why the need to use 56" umbrella if the fashion accessories are worn on fingers or hands? (my sense is that the products are no larger than the fingers or hands on which they are worn on.)

I only have that size. ;p I have 2 other 30" or so but not sure where did they go. I have sold my lumiquest softbox away liao too.

Don't think direct flash would be nice. If you are saying that its too big then i guess just move it farther away lor.

Actually that 56" is a big golf umbrella which my mum DIY for me by flipping over the silver side. ;p

depends on the value of the item... charge them according to your value, not the equipment you going to use...

think u need backdrop as well & a armrest for the model... ;p and also best if you have a snoot on another flash to emphasize on the 'shiny' gems... (just imho...)

2100 said:
Thanks ortega. But how much? Say 1/2 day, if i go by events rate that'd be ard $360?

Think I need to go buy some A3 paper for the background. Just simple ones will do.

If you think that you will take 4hrs to finish the job then charge 1/2 day
if more than that then charge full day.

I would say minimum 600/1200 for studio shoot
Use the estra funds to rent a studio and shoot there.
Better results.

Also A3 paper is too small. Paper is cheap.
Buy A1 or A0, transfer the costs to the client.
Too much bg is never a problem.
Too little bg and you really have a problem.

Have a good shoot.
YQT want to rent him your studio?

OT abit.. where to buy A1 or A0 paper? best is those dun get dirty kind... (abit of acrylic coating or something... ) den dun get wrinkles... think i ask too much...

2100 said:
I only have that size. ;p I have 2 other 30" or so but not sure where did they go. I have sold my lumiquest softbox away liao too.

Don't think direct flash would be nice. If you are saying that its too big then i guess just move it farther away lor.

Actually that 56" is a big golf umbrella which my mum DIY for me by flipping over the silver side. ;p

if you are using a studio head, soft box is ideal. but if you do not have one, create one using tracing paper over a rectangular or square frame. if you are using a portable flash, it is alright too. is a live model involved? i hope not.

well if you're interested to rent my studio, drop me a PM with your H/P no. and we'll see what we can work out. Other than the studio I have background papers, formicas, lightings ( about 11 lights from 500w to 3k ), as well as mid format digital system. you can either shoot on your own or if you need, I can give you a hand.

ortega said:
If you think that you will take 4hrs to finish the job then charge 1/2 day
if more than that then charge full day.

I would say minimum 600/1200 for studio shoot
Use the estra funds to rent a studio and shoot there.
Better results.

Also A3 paper is too small. Paper is cheap.
Buy A1 or A0, transfer the costs to the client.
Too much bg is never a problem.
Too little bg and you really have a problem.

Have a good shoot.
YQT want to rent him your studio?

Looking at the volume that you are going to shoot 50-80, I doubt half a day will be enough.

2100, what alex said was quite accurate but I would go a little higher for the half a day and lower for the full day. this way the client have to choose the latter.

Shooting women accessories can be quite daunting at times. It may take you 2-3 hours just to get the angle of the lighting. So play safe and charge your client full price. It's not an easy job to shoot.

I would go up to $800 for 1/2 day and $1400 for full day (8 hours only) Additional hour is $80-100 per hour (if the shoot goes more than 2 hours) You can give them some leeway for extra one hour just to make them happy but if it goes beyond that, charge them!

Setup has been layout by Alex too. So just go with the flow. Best you have an assistant with you as this will help you with your job flow easier. Hiring one will cost you about $80-$100 per day but it makes your life easier if you get the right one too. Experience assistants will have at least basic knowledge on the setup itself and sometime they may have some better ideas to make your job easier. So sacrificing some of your profit is worth while.

At least some of us now have the understanding why photographers charge about $1200-1400 a day.

Here are the breakdown.....
Studio Rental = $200-300 for 8 hours (only studio)
Lightings = $150 (Flat fee) This however is optional if you have your own.
Assistant = $80-100
Props = $30-50
Transport 2 way = $20-30
Lunch and dinner with your assistant = $10-15

This are just the very very basics. There are times when you have to come up with more money. Don't forget you need to calculate if there is a reshoot on some product.

Basic total expenses spend is about $340-$495 (excluding lighting) So there you go. Don't forget you have income tax a nd CPF if this is your line of work. Your equipment needs servicing too. Shutter count, lens that you invest, laptop, software and your time spend on learning this skills.....

i think 2100 is looking at charging from a 'freelancer''s perspective.

reachme2003 said:
i think 2100 is looking at charging from a 'freelancer''s perspective.

Whether it's a "freelancer perpective".....it's the same. In fact full time pros charge much higher than I mentioned. This is the lowest market rate for a freelancer unless you are charging lower than market rate.

Freelancer still needs to pay the above list i mentioned.

Thanks for all the comments.

Think studios will be out due to logistical issues.

It's not gems or those "pro" products. I don't do 120 and not so pro either. hehe... Just some accessories they wanna archive in photos and softcopy, and maybe advertise in mags and do some posters for in-house DIY display/advertisement. Simple job lar. They have their own premises/mini classrooms too and probably location and models (or rather studens) will be in-house DIY. Nothing too fanciful. That's why I am chosen lar, i did some events for them.

Thanks for the contact yqt. Where is the studio btw and your rates? If really need studio and they are looking for more professional lighting then i need a studio. Think camera/lens is more or less ok for them. Think Brett's linearstudio is nearer to them too.

I think you need to look at this closer. What is the concept? Do your client need to shoot with the hand model for every shot? How often do you need to change the concept? All this need to be look into as they affect the shooting time.

2100 said:

It's not gems or those "pro" products. I don't do 120 and not so pro either. hehe... Just some accessories they wanna archive in photos and softcopy, and maybe advertise in mags and do some posters for in-house DIY display/advertisement. Simple job lar. They have their own premises/mini classrooms too and probably location and models (or rather studens) will be in-house DIY. Nothing too fanciful. That's why I am chosen lar, i did some events for them.

Thanks for the contact yqt. Where is the studio btw and your rates? If really need studio and they are looking for more professional lighting then i need a studio. Think camera/lens is more or less ok for them. Think Brett's linearstudio is nearer to them too.

Glad to hear that you got thinks sorted out. My studio is located in Joo Chiat near the Joo Chiat CC. My studio rates are around $200/- for 1/2 day but I usually have a talk with whoever is going to rent form me first and try to work out a package for them.
Cheers and happy shooting.

2100 said:

a suggestion. use part mannequin of lower arm with hands or neck to waist, if your client can provide them.

Pro Image said:
Freelancer still needs to pay the above list i mentioned.
No worries mate, it won't be too low. Coz no matter what, it is still an area of expertise and indeed my time costs money if i were to view from my full-time job perspective. But I can't charge too high coz i do events for them too.

reachme2003 said:
a suggestion. use part mannequin of lower arm with hands or neck to waist, if your client can provide them.
hehe...no lar, they will probably have students and so will use them. That's not my problem, i just adjust lighting, shoot, review on notebook for them, they happy and i continue, then touch-up and deliver in TIFF + JPG.
Currently concept is just close-up shots of the wrist to fingers portion at an angle with coloured or high-key background, and most probably just 1 or 2 poses together of the hands + legs, BG will be natural stones or whatever they can find at their premises (which is pretty nice). I will not provide props or what....if they have then they provide and i just give suggestions on positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.