How much to charge for photography services for amateur

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvingb

Dec 9, 2009
Hi everyone hope you are all doing good. I have a question I was recently asked take pictures for a event, but not really cover the event. I am suppose to take pictures of the people as they enter the hall and then print the pictures out and give it to them as a gift. I am not sure how much to charge for my services considering i am a amateur. Should i charge on a hourly basis? if yes how much can amateur like me charge per hour? please help me.... :confused:

why didnt u tell the person ur amateur?

what the difference btw go there to take pictures and to cover the event?

We have a "photo biz" section for a reason...

But if you're not sure what you're doing, you shouldn't have accepted the job.

If you think you're an amateur, you should not charge at all...

Just do it as a learning experience. To photograph people entering the hall is not as easy as you think :nono:

Theres no hard and fast rule. You are already in it for the money so it doesnt make sense to abide by what other people are charging.
Your talents are definately worth something. Go out there and charge as high as possible.

Regards

Why so fast with charging? Are you convinced that you can deliver pictures of a decent quality that are worth paying for? If not then you better take it as a learning lesson, provide the services for free and analyze the results critically. If you deliver quality you have earned some reputation for the next event and asking for money has some foundation.
On the other hand: what kind of organizer asks just the next best person to snap some pics at the entry? Doesn't sound like a serious or important part of the event, just some fancy clicks, smiles, V-fingers...

very simple...

- you can charge barely enough to cover your cost...... your time, your gear, your transport, your meal, expenses, material cost blar blar blar.

- you can also charge 300% more to cover your a$$ if anything went wrong. (everything will go wrong especially you are inexperience)

- you can also charge very very very expensive to make a decent profit.

just pick one that suit you.

call a proffesional to do it for you.

Wow.. good luck to you.
Have you got the necessary items?
1) At least 2 units of Printer with backup ink cartridge? Or going polaroid?
2) Any backdrop? Am sure most clients would want to have a decent background instead of a plain normal looking background.

Clients engaged your service usually for these 2 reasons:-
1) You are pro and they want to pay you for your service.
2) You are cheap and good for their budget.

Depending on duration of event, or if you want to be paid by the hour.
How many people are you supposed to take pics of? How are you printing the pics? There and then during the event itself? Are you providing the printer, ink, paper?
Many factors u have to take note of.
Sometimes you might charge less but end up doing a lot more work or vice versa.
Good luck with the event!

$35 an hour for someone learning.

$35 an hour for someone learning.

Are you such it is a good advise.

1. He need to take photo

2. He need to print instantly.

3. Can he so it alone? No. so he need an assistant = cost?

4. What is the cost per print? and how many people and prints is expected. Assume cost $0.20 per photo (ink and paper) and 100 ppl = $20

5. How many hrs will the ppl be "going into the hall" max (unrealistic assumption) 2hrs

So a very simple calculation (not factoring your cameras, batteries etc).

Cost of assistant $50 + $20 (100prints) + $30 (transport) = $100

Charges for 2hrs as recommended = $70

I suggest you do a calculation as what advise the earlier ppl have suggested.

Go into this job with your eyes open.

Another important point you need to check with your client "how many ppl, prints and duration you have for this job" and check if your printing can support this.

Folks,
Why most of you so negative?

Its not every day that we get to do something we like and yet still make money out of it. Go enjoy the moment!

Regards

Folks,

Its not every day that we get to do something we like and yet still make money out of it. Go enjoy the moment!

Regards

Doing what you enjoy is vastly different doing what you enjoy while getting paid. Its entails responsibilities namely, the promise to deliver. No one will enjoy what you do (including yourself) if you can't deliver.

Can do as package, so that easier to tell client, but u must be able to calculate, Chngpe01 had sum it up on the items u need to calculate.

Best is ask another photographer who are familiar with such and ask him or her guide on pricing, and u let him or her in charge, and u learn from there.

U need at least 2 person to do it, one is photographer, printer, but if have another to help u on enquiry will be good, as many ppl will crowd ard and ask many questions.

Folks,

Regards
This is not about being negative, is being realistic. making money is ONE thing, the most IMPORTANT thing is able to deliver the job.

Mod PE has already mention, this is not an ONE MAN SHOW assignment, even a shoot and print term had take many assignments to refine their workflow, not so simple as you guys think.

any other way is find a nearby lab, book a urgent printing appointment with them, after shooting, rush to the lab immediately for printing, than rush back to give out the prints.

Folks,

Regards

folks!

why are you so negative?

next time you go to restaurant, the chef cook out the dish taste worse than your 5 year old kid throw on the frying pan and stir around for 20 minutes until chao ta.. you must smile

after all the chef is getting to do something he likes and still make money out of it! go enjoy his moment!

Folks,

Regards
anyway, my suggestion already given TS.

and I tried both methods. I DON'T enjoy it at all. and it is not about the money.

Many Seniors have given their opinions and it was useful.

However, from your (TS) text above, is actually a tall order. That is, "to print and give the print out as gifts". Shooting and organise it to be delivered with a lead time is totally different).

Giving out with the best of your ability i.e. to the "Happy amount/numbers" of receipents, meant you will have a very hard time to cope with the printings, not to mention the "minimun" amount of time to work on slight PP if needed, printers with assistances etc.

Working within your capacity might end up with complaints that many don't receive your "expected gift prints".

The most important question is can you cope? (Ref to PE post for detail.)

If yes, look out for Catchlight's post above.

Example, events like a "SMALL" Golf Charity is an easy one of the many. The event will be about 4 -5 hrs for the game and with 2 hrs for dinner. So you have quite some time to work out. Besides, could cover more happy faces as each print out can have a flight of 4 persons (can print 4 prints at one go). But you must watchout on the Tee-box for all the flights from the second nine to turn around. Not much time for general on course shot. Still, the photographer will rush out to have the photos printed out at a Colour print Lab instead and return with time to take some dinner shots.

Knowing my limits, did one "free" job for a friend's Golf event. ALL at the event will not take notice that it is a free job. Many will cry out to you, "hello, cameraman here, here, there there....". And the result ..... that was the last "Free Job", except for my own temple.

Work out your cost first ..........(in all aspects), than talk about charges.

Hi all,

I have been following this thread and I do agree with the advices that some of the seniors here have given. For my case, I'm an amateur as well. However, I do get some assignments from previous colleagues who would like to engage my service at a much lower cost than the professionals. Simply because the events are rather small-scale (less than 50 ppl) and mainly for record purposes. Not really to publish.

However, I rejected the offers because I do not have the necessary tools and am not confident yet. I do not mind doing it FOC.

My dilemma is that if the client understands this and is still willing to pay for an amateur service, won't it be hard to reject?

Glad that TS started this thread that provides an avenue for amateurs like me to better understand the "behind-the-scenes" of an event photographer. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.