How much to charge for architure/interior?

sc123

May 20, 2011
Hi all... I was just offered my first commercial job to shoot 3 architecture/interior pics for a brochure. But I really had a hard time deciding on the pricing.

I know... chrage with what I am comfortable with... but...

Firstly, I do not want to charge too expensive until the client scared

Secondly, I also do not want to charge too cheap until I become one of those spoil market photographers...

I'm intending to sell my pics instead of my time, so I'll be charging per image. I figure around $250 per image... is this too low or too high?

I have no idea how the market is like, so if any one could give me advice it would be cool!

In my humble opinion and limited experience, it is hard to say too low or too high without knowing the standards of your work. And importantly, photography is a matter of taste, so where to put that 'standard'?

To change a perspective of looking at things, when starting out, photographers hunger for jobs and often is very very worried of losing a lead or scaring away clients. This is why they get us almost every time by grabbing on this weakness.

Have pride in your work. Charge confidently and firmly and if they don't bite, so be it. As long as you continue to do photography more clients will come along. Especially so when your not full time since your livelihood doesn't depend on it you dot have fear of hunger if you don't get jobs.

It is better to land in a price range that you will be happy in (worth your time and enjoyable doing so) right from the start, rather than the often low price range companies offer to amateurs, and get stuck in that price range (which is often much harder to raise rates).

Just my humble two cents.

Just wondering how complicated is the shoot?

A simple snap and simple retouching?

Or

Complicated angle with complicated lighting set up and extensive retouching?

Does it need you to be the "stylist" as well?

Some jobs requires a lot more time and some jobs require a lot less time.

I used to do lots of interior/architectural photography, some jobs I could shoot in 15 mins and spend 15 mins retouching and that's the clients want. Those generally, 3 shots, $120-$150 per job type but also, there are about 10 of those jobs per week from the same client.

There are clients who pays about $200-$300 per shot which involve medium level of attention and slightly more complicated setup and retouching.

There are clients paying $1000-$2000 per shots but generally involve whole day shoot with lots of equipment and very extensive retouching.

So really, what type of the work is that?

Lastly, how desperate are you in getting the work and how good you are with your skill set?

If you are doing it for fun and for pocket money, then ask yourself, how much you would like to get paid for a day work (shoot and retouching).

Regards,

Hart

If you're charging $250 per image inclusive of DI, equipment, transport, deliverables, etc then to a professional interior/architecture photographer it may be on the low side. While like what sjackal said, we don't know the level of your skill, there are many other cases where even though the skill != to price, there are still photographers who can charge a high rate and get by because they are great salesmen. Think of how to justify your rate with confidence, try to suss out the client's budget, and see if you can meet in the middle. Don't agree to a low ball deal unless the images you get are worthy of portfolio material. Good luck.

Hi all... I was just offered my first commercial job to shoot 3 architecture/interior pics for a brochure. But I really had a hard time deciding on the pricing.

Secondly, I also do not want to charge too cheap until I become one of those spoil market photographers...

I'm intending to sell my pics instead of my time, so I'll be charging per image. I figure around $250 per image... is this too low or too high?

I have no idea how the market is like, so if any one could give me advice it would be cool!

Hi!

i think you can based on who is your client.. like those big company just be confident and charge..

You have to first establish what's the objective of the photos? What kind of brochure? For a property agent or are these photos part of an advertisement to sell a product/service only.

3 photos is really a small job (assuming no elaborate lighting setup, etc) so its good you are heading in the direction of charging per photo and due to the small quantity, you might have to price higher to cover your costs. I charge about $250 to $300 per photo but the projects are of a larger scale i.e. 10 to 15 photos.

Don't be afraid to ask your client to give you an indication of their budget. If they can let you know upfront, that will eliminate a lot of guessing / unnecessary work. If the budget is too low, you might even want to consider declining the work.

If you can, take a look at the photos which they have taken previously and ask if you can do better. If you can, you have a bigger bargaining chip.

Good luck.