how much should i charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wurdelak

Apr 7, 2009
westcoast
www.flickr.com
hi everyone, just recently, a colleague of mine (not a close friend, just happen to be working in the same place with me) asked me if i could shoot her wedding (january next year).

she told me it'd be a traditional chinese wedding, and i have to shoot all throughout, from start to finish... and then she wants me to PP and print some shots as well...

my current set up are as follows: Nikon D90, SB600, 70-200 f2.8, 35 f1.8, 12-24 f4. by the time of the wedding i will be having a D300s or a D7000 so the D90 would be my back up. as for my printer, am using a canon finepix MP145.

i am a hobbyist, and i haven't shoot a wedding before, but i did shot some indoor events like shop opening, house blessing, and some birthday parties.

question is, should i accept this? if i do, how much should i charge? thank you very much in advance!

if i were you i wont accept it.

1) no experience in wedding shooting, may miss critical shots
2) if mess it up.. not nice cuz... same work place.. ruined a colleague's memories..

if i were you i wont accept it.

1) no experience in wedding shooting, may miss critical shots
2) if mess it up.. not nice cuz... same work place.. ruined a colleague's memories..

Second to proteonXP. If you charge your colleague and your colleagues not satisfy with the results, how? Wedding is no joking one, will get blame for life if above happen. IMHO.;)

Since this is a one-off kinda thing for you, and not a business, factor in:

duration of shoot
duration of pp
cost of printing (including test shots, ink, paper)
cost of transportation anywhere
cost of second shooter (strongly suggest)

Dun...

You need practise for such jobs and it's never nice to charge and then not deliver or deliver under par... :)

You got to start somewhere... so heres my advice;

I'd presume you're thinking: I'm still a photographer with X gear, so i'll at least hope (or it's naturally logical) to charge X price.

But at the same time, you're also inexperience in weddings. So do think of it in this way...

1. Doesn't mean if you've not shot a wedding before, you can't shoot it well. It's boils down to your general technique and skill. Knowing some details and usual practices prior to the AD will help alot.

2. If you're scared that you can't deliver, you're probably not ready to charge. Either charge significantly low (a number below your colleagues expectation barrier) and tell her "this is just my angbao money, you will still get it back when I eat dinner :bsmilie:"... or DON'T charge at all. No money, no stress.

Last edited:
i actually told my colleague that it's up to her how much she wanna give, and i also told her she could just choose to buy the printing paper and ink for me and that'd be ok but she is insisting that i should quote a price.:sweat:

you are mostly correct, that wedding is not an easy shoot... i strongly agree with that, coz i am a street shooter. but given the time, from now to january next year, is there any slim chance that i could prepare for it?

by the way, i gave her the link to my flickr account, she viewed my works with her fiancee and she told me they like it!:sweat: (more pressure) i was hoping that after seeing my flickr photos, they would decide to get a pro shooter.

anyways, this is what i really like here in CS... people around here are really willing to help, and give you advice and suggestions!

still contemplating on this... thank you very much for the response!:)

You got to start somewhere... so heres my advice;

I'd presume you're thinking: I'm still a photographer with X gear, so i'll at least hope (or it's naturally logical) to charge X price.

But at the same time, you're also inexperience in weddings. So do think of it in this way...

1. Doesn't mean if you've not shot a wedding before, you can't shoot it well. It's boils down to your general technique and skill. Knowing some details and usual practices prior to the AD will help alot.

2. If you're scared that you can't deliver, you're probably not ready to charge. Either charge significantly low (a number below your colleagues expectation barrier) and tell her "this is just my angbao money, you will still get it back when I eat dinner :bsmilie:"... or DON'T charge at all. No money, no stress.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Many couples spend over a year to plan the wedding, but only 1 week for the photographer. Then they want cheap/free so they ask any friend/collegue/cousin who has a DSLR because they think DSLR = Pro.

Your GEAR does not matter. If you really care for this collegue, tell them to hire a proper photographer. Tell them you can help refer. Then find a good photog and tell him that in exchange for the referral, you want to be his second shooter/apprentice so you can learn from him.

Many couples spend over a year to plan the wedding, but only 1 week for the photographer. Then they want cheap/free so they ask any friend/collegue/cousin who has a DSLR because they think DSLR = Pro.

Your GEAR does not matter. If you really care for this collegue, tell them to hire a proper photographer. Tell them you can help refer. Then find a good photog and tell him that in exchange for the referral, you want to be his second shooter/apprentice so you can learn from him.

good idea:thumbsup::thumbsup:, i like this... i'll be safe, and would have the chance to learn from a pro.

i might show her around the vivo city wedding shoot atrium and try to convince her to get a pro... anyways we just work near by...

I tend to agree with Rashkae. Reasons as follows:

1) An experienced event photographer does not equate being a good Wedding Photographer, especially if you are the principal photographer for the day.

2) Time is not a consideration for your case, its not something you can prepare and master in a couple of months, even how hard you try (I sincerely believe you will definitely do your homework thoroughly). However, bear in mind, its a once in a life time occassion for your colleague and partner. My suggestion is if you are doing it for the first time and be the main photographer, its a NO GO!!!

3) If you are interested in doing wedding photography part time / full time, start doing as 2nd photographer, tack along an experienced pro wedding photographer, learn the trade first. I know of friends who start as helper of a pro, then progress through many weddings to gain enough knowledge to begin as amateur photographer to 2nd and then confident to take on as principal photographer finally.

I hope that you would not think I am pouring cold water over yr decision but above its just my opinion.

I tend to agree with Rashkae. Reasons as follows:

1) An experienced event photographer does not equate being a good Wedding Photographer, especially if you are the principal photographer for the day.

2) Time is not a consideration for your case, its not something you can prepare and master in a couple of months, even how hard you try (I sincerely believe you will definitely do your homework thoroughly). However, bear in mind, its a once in a life time occassion for your colleague and partner. My suggestion is if you are doing it for the first time and be the main photographer, its a NO GO!!!

3) If you are interested in doing wedding photography part time / full time, start doing as 2nd photographer, tack along an experienced pro wedding photographer, learn the trade first. I know of friends who start as helper of a pro, then progress through many weddings to gain enough knowledge to begin as amateur photographer to 2nd and then confident to take on as principal photographer finally.

I hope that you would not think I am pouring cold water over yr decision but above its just my opinion.

i am thankful from the insights i get from bros and sis here actually, and i think i will persuade her tomorrow to get a pro for this event... coz i actually have 2 pro photographer friends that i could recommend to her.

the gears you have is adequate,
I presume you are competent in photography,
so what you lack of is experiences,

what you can do now is you go around to volunteer yourself as tag along wedding photographer, to gain experience.

usually after 10~20 tag along session, (depends on your learning speed)
5 solo shoot under supervision,
you should competent to charge a decent rate as wedding photographer.

I have several requests but I turn them down because I am a hobbyist, not even a freelance. I often get some token sum (just to cover my parking and meals) when I volunteer my "service" as secondary photog... at this junture photography is a fun outlet from my real job... I dont want to be pressured by the need to produce something "top notch" all the time.

I guess if you are serious about freelancing, you should attend some courses or shadow someone who has been doing this for a while, whether they are freelance or fulltime photog

As someone mentioned, I dont think you will do a bad job but you may miss some important moments that have been etched in the mind of the more experience wedding photogs. !

but you still wish to do it, specify upfront what you will be doing the minimum number of photos that you will provide, any printed copies, albums and etc.

the most I have charged for a 4-hours job, 200 printed photos and an album is about $200... cheap right... because it was my relative. It is a not a wedding but a solemnisation event. They "engaged" me because they could not get a photographer in time for the solemnisation. At the end of the day I glad the family was satisfied with the photos taken by me... phew

just my $0.02 :cool:

Brother Wurdelak, I have just come across this thread of yours.
If you don't mind me sharing, what I find very logical is Rashkae's proposal of introducing them a Pro photographer and then you tag along as a Second Photographer.
Sometimes people are like that, verbally they may say "...never mind, I know you are not a professional photographer. But I am sure you will do a good job."
But when the final result comes out, and it is not exactly like what they had in mind, then unhappiness and breakdown in relationship can happen.

And I find catchlights quoting of the number of sessions of training as a secondary photographer (10-20 weddings) and another 5 solo shoots very reasonable and down-to-earth.

Wurdelak, these are just my own views.

I suggest that you tell your friend to hire one, thn you can be assistant for free.

Like that, you will have experience, next time another colleague married just try to whack la!

And if you want to be assistant, you HAVE TO cooperate among each other, or else... very hard 1.

Yes indeed some couples may even think that having more than one photographer means better shots (as more angles are covered as opposed to one). The truth is the photographers (the official and the 2nd, or even the videographer) have to be mindful to 'dance' with one another during the event; that is to be able to work together yet able to achieve the kind of standard they are able to bring about (and they have to do so professionally and elegantly). The last thing the official photographer needs is to have another photographer stand directly opposite him while he's shooting, or doing one of those close up shots of the couple (thus getting into the frame of the main photographer). That is both annoying and inconsiderate.

So my suggestion is if you are gonna be the 2nd photographer, pls be very conscious of where you position yourself during the event. Do give way to the main photographer who is paid to do his job. It is definitely a good training ground to learn to be mindful and sensitive to the surroundings (and not just to the camera metering settings, etc.) which I think is an excellent prerequisite to wedding and event photography. ;)

Last edited:
Just do it.. if you want to be sucessful

^
Lol dont teach wrong thing, first time cfm nervous, nervous ltr **** up, pple's only wedding memories ruined how.

ask her to get a pro and you cover as a secondary shooter . . . this way, you will gain experience too. But pls inform the pro photographer that there are other shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.