how much should i charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since its your colleague, then just do it for free. Take it as a learning experience and charge next time for others.

push yourself....... charge $1000 (and that is considered lower end of pricing) and force yourself to deliver...... that is how you improve

do it for free and you will might not be under pressure to perform well

when you do well, the couple will be happy too with the results........ you do it for free and chin chye, the couple could really end up regretting...... so do them a favor charge for it and push yourself ya ? :)

The feeling and stress levels are very different in a paid shoot ..... push your own envelope .....

Last edited:
just do it bro

learn from pro .
By the way what is DO n Dont for wedding photography.. any senior can share ?
Going to shoot weeding for first this weekend

friend . . . really one whole list to follow . . . difficult to list all down.
I will suggest that you ask for the itinery and follow . . . i think i have listed the things to bring and shot somewhere in this tread . . . hope this help.

Bro,

my advice is go ahead with the shoot. Coz on the actual day you will be shooting alot of things which some of us may not have though of.

My story:
In year 2000, i was ask by a lady collegue to help her photograph her wedding day. At that that i have never cover any official event before. I only know how to shoot portraits. And during that era, i was shooting with film, every single shots must count, tea ceremony must pause them to reload film... Not mush photo web to browse for advice...

If you tag along somebody, your learning curves is faster. You need not go thru the hard road and bang the walls in order to learn the trade. However, i would feel that do it alone the first time will allow you to see differently from others. Capturing angle and perspective also not from same school.

It is hard to venture alone without some help, nevertheless your collegue has given you this chance and i hope you dun give it away.You may never get this chance again. If you need the wedding day whole day procceding, you can email me.

Bro,

my advice is go ahead with the shoot. Coz on the actual day you will be shooting alot of things which some of us may not have though of.

My story:
In year 2000, i was ask by a lady collegue to help her photograph her wedding day. At that that i have never cover any official event before. I only know how to shoot portraits. And during that era, i was shooting with film, every single shots must count, tea ceremony must pause them to reload film... Not mush photo web to browse for advice...

If you tag along somebody, your learning curves is faster. You need not go thru the hard road and bang the walls in order to learn the trade. However, i would feel that do it alone the first time will allow you to see differently from others. Capturing angle and perspective also not from same school.

It is hard to venture alone without some help, nevertheless your collegue has given you this chance and i hope you dun give it away.You may never get this chance again. If you need the wedding day whole day procceding, you can email me.

thank you very much bro... it is really encouraging! :thumbsup::thumbsup: to all the bros and sis here in CS, i'll be shooting as 2nd to my PRO friend... that i think is the safe and constructive learning path for me.;)

push yourself....... charge $1000 (and that is considered lower end of pricing) and force yourself to deliver...... that is how you improve

when you do well, the couple will be happy too with the results........ you do it for free and chin chye, the couple could really end up regretting...... so do them a favor charge for it and push yourself ya ? :)

The feeling and stress levels are very different in a paid shoot ..... push your own envelope .....

very good advice... i am actually better when i perform under pressure, but thats when i am in the ring:bsmilie: but wedding shoot... :think: so i'll be shooting with my PRO friend and learn from there! thanks bro!:thumbsup:

Do agree with you with regards to charging as a way to drive one's responsibility and keen-ness to deliver. :thumbsup:

However it also boils down to the individual... sometimes passion is more than suffice to drive oneself.

Imho, I don't think $1000 is the current lower end pricing. High chance that TS colleague might get a shock if he quotes such a sum, esp. since he is a 1st timer.

Glad to hear TS is tagging alongside a pro!

Your colleague is a cheapskate. :thumbsd: They know you are inexperience still engaged you as their actual day pg. Sigh.....

I see nothing wrong even if you shoot solo for your friend's wedding. You may be worrying too much.

I think what's most important is you ask your friend what her expectations are. My guess is that she just wants a record of the day's proceedings. From what I know, there are couples out there who really don't mind having friends help them. It's fun in a way cos everyone is familiar with each other also.

This being a photography forum, and there are amateurs and pros here, everyone will quickly want to justify you got to charge the couple for sure! And not only that, you must produce at least some decent works.

But the reality is, there are couples who don't even mind having friends or relatives take pictures for them using compact cameras! Not everyone wants the "high class" few thousand $ photographer, or wear some designer gowns and throw banquets at 5 star hotels. IMHO, sometimes simple weddings are more fun and meaningful than those dreadful long-winded, posh, expensive kinds.

So even if they don't engage you, they might just look for their other friends to do so. They got you probably thinking you are into photography, never mind even if you have not shot any weddings b4. From what I see, your gear is pretty impressive and you are ready to shoot a wedding indeed!

Ask yourself: How bad can you be? Unless you tell me you are a 10 year old kid who knows nuts about photography, I don't think your skills can be any worse than someone who uses a compact cam, which the couple won't probably mind having as their photographer!

Yes, some couples want expensive photographers to capture those memories. But like many, those albums will be chucked away after the wedding. That's the reality. You may argue, the photographer is so good that you will want to see the pictures again and again. I'm sorry I don't think it works that way, at least not for many. You have your normal life to get on with, bills to pay, family to plan ,etc etc.

So there is the other group of practical couples many here have not considered - Couples who simply want a record of the day's events. Nothing fanciful is required.

I see nothing wrong even if you shoot solo for your friend's wedding. You may be worrying too much.

I think what's most important is you ask your friend what her expectations are. My guess is that she just wants a record of the day's proceedings. From what I know, there are couples out there who really don't mind having friends help them. It's fun in a way cos everyone is familiar with each other also.

This being a photography forum, and there are amateurs and pros here, everyone will quickly want to justify you got to charge the couple for sure! And not only that, you must produce at least some decent works.

But the reality is, there are couples who don't even mind having friends or relatives take pictures for them using compact cameras! Not everyone wants the "high class" few thousand $ photographer, or wear some designer gowns and throw banquets at 5 star hotels. IMHO, sometimes simple weddings are more fun and meaningful than those dreadful long-winded, posh, expensive kinds.

So even if they don't engage you, they might just look for their other friends to do so. They got you probably thinking you are into photography, never mind even if you have not shot any weddings b4. From what I see, your gear is pretty impressive and you are ready to shoot a wedding indeed!

Ask yourself: How bad can you be? Unless you tell me you are a 10 year old kid who knows nuts about photography, I don't think your skills can be any worse than someone who uses a compact cam, which the couple won't probably mind having as their photographer!

Yes, some couples want expensive photographers to capture those memories. But like many, those albums will be chucked away after the wedding. That's the reality. You may argue, the photographer is so good that you will want to see the pictures again and again. I'm sorry I don't think it works that way, at least not for many. You have your normal life to get on with, bills to pay, family to plan ,etc etc.

So there is the other group of practical couples many here have not considered - Couples who simply want a record of the day's events. Nothing fanciful is required.

good reality check bro! agree with you...:thumbsup: but am shooting alongside my pro friend, who charged reasonably knowing that he can help me as well...;)

thank you very much bro... it is really encouraging! thumbsup to all the bros and sis here in CS, i'll be shooting as 2nd to my PRO friend... that i think is the safe and constructive learning path for me.

very good advice... i am actually better when i perform under pressure, but thats when i am in the ring, but wedding shoot... so i'll be shooting with my PRO friend and learn from there! thanks bro!

good reality check bro! agree with you... but am shooting alongside my pro friend, who charged reasonably knowing that he can help me as well...

TS, since you've already resolved your problem and have roped in your pro friend to be the 1st pg, perhaps it's time to close the thread?

Seems that most people are still taking sides to either convince you to shoot/not shoot this wedding when you already have a pro friend to be the 1st photographer. :sweat:

Enjoy the shoot bro. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.