How much should a new model charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie-stix

Aug 5, 2007
This place called Singapore
I'm a new starting out freelancing model.
I'm 14, i've had no training whatsoever.
How much would I charge per hour for a shoot if I got some training first?

Seeing as you at the moment you have no training (and therefore I take it no portfolio shots?) Trying to do some TFCD's may be of benefit to you. If you have training, but no shoot experience you wont be able to command much in the first few shots, probably $25/hr if your lucky/depending on usage.

Seeing as you at the moment you have no training (and therefore I take it no portfolio shots?) Trying to do some TFCD's may be of benefit to you. If you have training, but no shoot experience you wont be able to command much in the first few shots, probably $25/hr if your lucky/depending on usage.

Someone from an agency recommended $40/hr, so I guess thats too much?

Its all a matter of opinion. If an agency said that and I said $25, then go half way, haha, so say something like $30/hr.

As you gain experience and a solid portfolio that price can keep going up.

If your interested in doing a shoot for stock, feel free to pm me. :)

You're 14 and wanna do this?

Lets put it this way-- you won't earn much. Probably $20 or $30 an hour at most. Why? Because it's hard to become a good model without dedication. It's more than just being TL or having a pretty face.

Go for the traning first. Don't think of charging anyone without any prior experience.

After your basic training is done, then maybe you can do a TFCD with a photographer who have at least some basic experience in posing skills with good communication. If not you will be wasting your time.

Every agency has a different gauge. To some $40/ per hour seems a lot for some photographers who is shooting a new model with little or no experience at all.

Just don't get exploited by photographers because you are new to the market. Best is you can ask a few agency around. Call them or pay a visit to ask them more about the market value.

Although you are only 14 years (I think you need prior consent from your parents if you do want to want to do part time modelling) but I have shot models who is 1.75m-1.85m tall age between 13-16 years old.

For now, I can only suggest you do a little more homework before taking up any offers.

You're 14 and wanna do this?

Lets put it this way-- you won't earn much. Probably $20 or $30 an hour at most. Why? Because it's hard to become a good model without dedication. It's more than just being TL or having a pretty face.

While you have a valid point about what's needed behind the scenes, you're wrong about the issue about her earning power. It mainly depends on where she's at. Singapore is guaranteed to not pay top dollar. However if she can break into the American or European market, your point is moot. :nono: Best to see if she has potential before you render judgement. To TS if you want to break out and be successful: Be prepared to be mobile and not tied down to Singapore.

Maybe that someone meant those rates if you are represented by them - then what happens is that the agency will take S$15 an hour and you are left with $25 an hour?

Just speculating :)

thank you to all for the answers- I will see about training- I just thought that maybe I could earn a bit since everyone says tall, skinny caucasians are in high demand in modelling. But thanks for all the answers.

thank you to all for the answers- I will see about training- I just thought that maybe I could earn a bit since everyone says tall, skinny caucasians are in high demand in modelling. But thanks for all the answers.

My offer for a stock shoot still stands if your interested in getting some more experience. If you would like to see my portfolio then feel free to pm me. :)

Hi!

Whatever you decide, make sure u are discussion with someone ( like an elder family member or cousins) that will protect your interests and personal safety. There are some people and companies that take advantage of and exploit new people in the industry.

You can PM me if you want to me to help you to get some test shots. See my website. www.razin-photography.com.

cheers and all the best!

as much as a new photographer with no training

if you intent to charge, make sure you can deliver the results
i'd recommend going for training
and get as much experience as possible

newbie models? Some with passion would charge nothing at all for a start as they need to build their portfolio and needs the photographers services. Some would be around 10-20/hr usually, but at age of 14, it's better to concentrate on studies! But 40/hr, where did you get that quote and for how many hrs? Hmm

newbie models? Some with passion would charge nothing at all for a start as they need to build their portfolio and needs the photographers services. Some would be around 10-20/hr usually, but at age of 14, it's better to concentrate on studies! But 40/hr, where did you get that quote and for how many hrs? Hmm

Modelling is only to be a part time job- its just a bit of money in the pocket to spend on weekends ;p I know to focus on studies.

Just be careful since you're only 14. Don't get taken advantaged of and stay safe (Eg: Ask a friend to come along for a shoot instead of going alone). I think threadstarter is thinking of just making some pocket money and not really thinking of doing modelling as a career. Anyways, I guess $20/hr is a good start as I heard that those PC Show/Car Show girls are getting that rate for just standing around and looking pretty. :)

Just be careful since you're only 14. Don't get taken advantaged of and stay safe (Eg: Ask a friend to come along for a shoot instead of going alone). I think threadstarter is thinking of just making some pocket money and not really thinking of doing modelling as a career. Anyways, I guess $20/hr is a good start as I heard that those PC Show/Car Show girls are getting that rate for just standing around and looking pretty. :)

At the moment I think its just a part time job since I need to get through school first- but who knows? If I get good enough and people like what I do, maybe it might become a career.

Lol, If you really did make it next time, then ppl here in ClubSNAP would be the ones who seen you thru growing up.

After thinking about it more, a model with no experience should not be charging, unless the photos are being used for direct commercial gain (e.g.stock instead of portfolio which would be indirect). You have to prove yourself, the photographer will have already proved himself. Once a decent portfolio is gathered, then start charging. For no experience with the photos being used for something like stock, im going back to my original, but you would be lucky to get even that (especially if you want the shots for your own use).

Status
Not open for further replies.