How much research time do you use before buying a camera?

How much research time do you use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix0r

Oct 2, 2002
West
Personally I use at least one week to search all over the net for opinions, then finally go down and test it before I decide on the camera. What about you guys?

i guess my research does not start on the time i wanna buy something...
its an ongoing learning proces.... so when i really need something, never need to start researching from scratch....just based on what i know and need for my photography, i make a decision

so therefore, there is no selection on the poll that i could make.
heh

Vulpix0r said:
Personally I use at least one week to search all over the net for opinions, then finally go down and test it before I decide on the camera. What about you guys?
for my previous cams, i ran thru reviews by all the major reviewers, printed the best out.. ran thru the hardcopy repeatedly.. dropped by a few camera shop to ask price and see if can get a hands on.. overall, it was approx a week of furious agonizing research..

you don't need a week to search the net for the info of a cam. Once u are experience, you will know where to look for. Just a few hours of search is enough...then the rest of the time is needed to judge yourself...calculate and dream. For me...a day or two.

its money, some people take awhile. camera are not the cheapest purchases. for me a body, it takes me about 2 weeks to 4 months to decide after reviews and 1st people buying, that is why i never own the latest cameras.

I know what i want, so i'll just search the net briefly for any reviews....

I think its really how much you want it.......

i took months to decide on the S2pro...

it took me about 1 week to settle my mind to upgrade to 10D from EOS50E.
it is all about the money, how mush is the body, lens, accessories...etc. but once you have figure it out that you can still use the same accessories (if you are no changing to another brand), then go a head.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
but now still need to wait till end of this month as now is having EXAM.

Me? I never thought twice about what I want. I just know what I want. Went ahead and get it. I'm a fixed mind person. Just focus on one and go ahead.

the body is easy to decide

the lens needs months of thinking thru

It depends on the lens, camera and format where I'm concerned.

It's a whole new ballgame when your livelyhood depends on making the right decision so I spend time running a few projections on the amount of anticipated lens useage, time to break even (profitibility) and so on before I even touch a lens or body.

Once the economics of the purchase are over it's down to the shop and get the item on trial for a weekend or week to see how it performs in the real world. If it passes then it's purchased.

Ian

clive said:
the body is easy to decide

the lens needs months of thinking thru

For me, it's the reverse.

Body... about a year.
Lens... about a week.

was thinking about this... i think it's directly proportionate to the cost of the camera for me. the more ex it is, the more research i do. e.g. if i were buying a toy cam Holga, just buy first, think later. if buying a DSLR, then months of research and deliberation is involved... :D

for me, it depends on the limitations of the existing gear and the financial situation. If there is something limiting with my gear and the new body/lens lets me get past the limitation, my decision will be swifter especially if I could justify the financial outlay. If it's just something good to have, I'll research more to confirm.... but I do buy on impulse too when something good (e.g. highly rated lenses) comes along at attractive prices cos I might be able to sell them off later with little loss.

i took many mths close to a year.....

partly coz it is due to pricing...

and waiting for better models ...speculating...

it was also a good time to use my prev camera which was bought 1 year back too...becoz i bought my 2nd camera from the same brand...

the last stage will be going to MS color to test out the functions...hehe

its always going through reviews and forums.. probably about a month to decide on the body.. lens will take longer..

Price + Usage + Speculation.......takes a long long long time. End up depending on the spur of the moment. Envy ESPN's one track mind. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.