How Much Money Do You Need in Singapore To Live Comfortable Nowadays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Oct 9, 2006
When I graduated my 1.5k was very decent for a uni grad. This days, with the rising costs, housing, hobbies, dating costs etc, what does it cost to have a decent lifestyle locally, and what do you consider to be decent anyway?

- a holiday a year that requires flying?
- new hi fi / camera / toy every half yearly?
- a good meal each week?

Cheers

wah.... good meal... i can spend $30 ++ already for a good meal at the restaurent....

2k? for me im earning less than that, it's bout just nice, no luxuries, no fancy stuff, no car, no house. If u plan to start a family soon, maybe 2.5k and above? (or 3k?)

hmm..

depends on how people live their lives..

i can eat the same thing at the canteen/coffeeshop for weeks, but i can mindlessly splurge on exorbitant meals without twitching an eyelid..

but for myself i see comfortable living as minimal 4-5k a month, but ideal would be close to 10-12k a month.

you only comfortable when u feel you are. If not, even 100k a month still not good enough.

It's abt happy on ur life, in ur heart.

When we play spiders and marbles in the youth, no computer, aren't we happy?

I dun have car, no license, but i take bus and mrt, also like that, i stay in 3 room flat, also like that, happiness is not materials that can be bought.

But i must admit i do spend alot in makan, i believe hard work best rewards is makan.:bsmilie:

This days, with the rising costs, housing, hobbies, dating costs etc, what does it cost to have a decent lifestyle locally...

To keep dating costs down can date only aunties who pay for everything including picking you up and sending you home.

If you are lucky maybe she will also read bedtime stories to you after tucking you into bed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

To keep dating costs down can date only aunties who pay for everything including picking you up and sending you home.

If you are lucky maybe she will also read bedtime stories to you after tucking you into bed.

Can find one for me??? :lovegrin:

the cost of living should only include basic expenses like housing costs, pared downed list of bills, cloth & food. these are needs.

lifestyle choices like hobbies, annual holidays, short getaways & dating costs should not be included. as 1 can still live (in comfort) without them. these are wants.

the line between the 2 has to be crystal clear before a meanful discussion can take place. ;)

I everyday eat kopitiam $2.50 to $3.50 only. :sweat: Last time chicken rice $2 now $2.50. :sweat:

Last time? Last time i pack of cig only $1.40..... Last time watch movie only $2.50...... last time feeder bus only $0.15........ Last time when my dad not dead yet....... where police wearing bermudas.......

Life keep on moving, world and time dun wait :)

If you are lucky maybe she will also read bedtime stories to you after tucking you into bed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Does that mean I have to start dating uncles?
*cringe*
sugar daddy much?
or a rich old man who's dyin soon and wills everything to me..... :nono:

If you want to differentiate between lifestyle and needs, thats true.

But if you are pusing the limits and not having enough to do some 'lifestyle' things, thats quite sad.

I guess, I lament the fact that we need so much more these days just to do rather simple things. I emphatise with people in my office who take home 1k or less, and how they can ek out a living.

Perhaps the next step is a thread on what can be had for free (lifestyle stuff) in Singapore...

Cheers

the cost of living should only include basic expenses like housing costs, pared downed list of bills, cloth & food. these are needs.

lifestyle choices like hobbies, annual holidays, short getaways & dating costs should not be included. as 1 can still live (in comfort) without them. these are wants.

the line between the 2 has to be crystal clear before a meanful discussion can take place. ;)

free lifestyle stuff? :think:

free newspapers at MRT stations, ladies get free drinks on ladies nite, occassional sample freebies at Raffles Place during lunch hour. ;p

it's surely tough as more transactions (think online warranties) get online, now even the poor need PCs! some yesteryears luxury, we cant live without today (fridge, washing machine, cellphone).

Let's calculate the cost of living for a single working adult male living with parents in Singapore;

Meals : $10 x 30 days = $300
Transport : $4 x 30 days = $120
Shopping : Work shirt, pants $150 x 2 times a month = $300
Clubbing/Geylang : $120 x 5 times a month = $600
Give parents : $200 per month

Total : $1,520 a month

I haven't been working in Singapore for some time but I think this is the very basic, and I have inflated the amounts with some extras thrown in... So someone with a basic salary of S$1,600 should be able to live comfortably in Singapore, with some money to save - if you minus the shopping and the 'fun' activities, you'll save even more!

What I'm trying to illustrate is - Spend within your means.... and you'll be happy.

Please tell us where you found yours.......

HS

Let's calculate the cost of living for a single working adult male living with parents in Singapore;

I haven't been working in Singapore for some time but I think this is the very basic, and I have inflated the amounts with some extras thrown in... So someone with a basic salary of S$1,600 should be able to live comfortably in Singapore, with some money to save - if you minus the shopping and the 'fun' activities, you'll save even more!

What I'm trying to illustrate is - Spend within your means.... and you'll be happy.

It's amazing you only spend $10 a day on makan :bigeyes:

there are actually many other things such as medical, stationary, personal care, home maintenenance, books, entertainment like movies and special ocassions like friends' birthday or weddings.

Status
Not open for further replies.