Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastiansong

Jan 20, 2002
Singapore
www.pbase.com
Greetings to All

Just curious about the following

For those who use digital cameras, how much MB would you bring with you on a normal day shoot?

If you are going on a trip for 3 to 5 days, how much would you bring?

I am asking these questions as I am thinking of getting a digital wallet instead of buying more SM storage. I presently own 2 128-SM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:gbounce:

That's probably more than enough. You can get an Image Tank for longer day shoots (I intend to one of these days), and it will come in handy when you travel.

A Digital Wallet is more expensive, but at least it does not have batteries and wires sticking out that make it look like a bomb device, so they're less likely to confiscate it at the airport.

well it depends....
for a typical Singaporean like me....mindset will be since taking digital photos needs no expendable cost..i will take many different shots for a scene....
But if u use a conventional camera...I will save as much as possible....thus minimum photos....

however I have been to scenic places in Japan ....I have try to snap as much as possible.....from my experience ....from morning till night.....I used up 3 sets of AA batteries and 1X128 MB and 1X64MB Smart media.....
pictures are mostly 1024 x 768..which is around 228 shots for a 128 MB card

in all in a day i can take about 350++ shots of medium-low quality...why?...cos i want more pictures but limited memory hence the low resolution..but still good enough!!!

so for 3-5 days...i guess u need abt...5 x 128 MB card as a rough guideline!!!

Hi sebastiansong,

I think how much memory you need will depend on your shooting habit. For me I tend to take more shots at different angles/exposures when I go out shooting in Singapore, but shoot much lesser when I go on trip. I had been to a 4 days trekking trip, shooting in Large/Fine mode of the G2, and my 256MB was able to last me thru my trip with just one spare battery without recharging. But that was trekking and I tend to take much lesser pics during a trek. I'll most probably shooting a lot more if on a leisure trip, and in that case I'll probably bring along 2x 256MB CFs with me. :)

depends on how many photos you intend to take. if you're those who are trigger snappy, a few GB might not be enough :p Generally, I limit myself to 256MB or 384MB....

Thnx for the response... yesh it all boils down to how trigger happy one is... 8)

Hence I am wondering if it makes sense to buy one digital wallet/image tank rather than buy multiple SM? If yes, any recommendations on
1) what to buy,
2) where to buy and
3) how much to pay?

I currently own 400MB CF. When I visited the zoo with my family, I spent almost all of it. For an overseas trip, I definitely don't think it would suffice. So I guess depending on how trigger happy you are, it might be best to get a digital wallet / image tank. FireFish of HWZ is renting out Image Tanks... so if you don't intend to buy one for yourself, you may want to just rent it out from him. :)

Originally posted by sebastiansong
Thnx for the response... yesh it all boils down to how trigger happy one is... 8)

Hence I am wondering if it makes sense to buy one digital wallet/image tank rather than buy multiple SM? If yes, any recommendations on
1) what to buy,
2) where to buy and
3) how much to pay?
1) Image Tank, I guess? Since it's much, much cheaper compared to the Digital Wallet

2 and 3) I saw the Image Tank at Challenger selling for $299 without hard disk. Portable World at SLS (4th Floor?) is selling it. FireFish of HWZ (www.imagetank.com.sg) is also selling the Image Tank for $249 (without hard disk), IIRC.

Happy Shooting!

Originally posted by Pinoy
2 and 3) I saw the Image Tank at Challenger selling for $299 without hard disk. Portable World at SLS (4th Floor?) is selling it. FireFish of HWZ (www.imagetank.com.sg) is also selling the Image Tank for $249 (without hard disk), IIRC.

Thnx Pinoy
The imagetank sounds interesting enuff... $409 for a 10gb and $489 for a 20 gb. Think the 10gb is more than enuff...
will check out the shops you mentioned and post feedback here.

Anyone has any idea where CP or AP is selling similar storage devices and their price range? Thnx in advance

Thnx Pinoy
The imagetank sounds interesting enuff... $409 for a 10gb and $489 for a 20 gb. Think the 10gb is more than enuff...
will check out the shops you mentioned and post feedback here.

Anyone has any idea where CP or AP is selling similar storage devices and their price range? Thnx in advance
Last time at HWZ, IIRC, the selling price for the Image Tank with 10GB Hard Disk is $399.

Anyway, over at imagetank.com.sg, they're selling it for $259 without hard disk (just checked their website). As for the hard disk, based on HWZ Price Guide, one could get the IBM 10GB HDD for $138, and the IBM 20GB HDD for $199.

Total, $398 and $458 respectively. $11 and $30 (respectively) cheaper than what imagetank.com.sg is quoting. :bsmilie:

I will have to check with firefish of HWZ whether this would be considered local warranty though coz I remember they just imported these sets from overseas. If no local warranty then better get from somewhere else. :)

I will have to check with firefish of HWZ whether this would be considered local warranty though coz I remember they just imported these sets from overseas. If no local warranty then better get from somewhere else. :)

Thats a good point if the other stores provide local warranty it would be a plus. My gut feel is that it will be two warranty, one for the image tank and one for the hard disk(by the manufacturer)

Thnx for sharing the info... Pinoy.

btw when are you getting the image tank... perhaps we could go and buy together.

btw when are you getting the image tank... perhaps we could go and buy together.
I'm planning to get it only by end of next month... since me and my family are planning to go KL by March.

When are you buying? :)

Hi guys!!!

firefish from hwz is here ; )

to clarify things...
the imagetank is retailing at S$259 over at imagetank.com.sg
however, we are offering it at S$249 for pple at hwz...
and (after discussing with my partners) also in this forum ...
and this is probably the lowest you can get in singapore...

however, some may realise that it costs more to get it with the hard disk..
that is because we included the installation charges into the cost...
we also believe most photographers are techies at heart and like to tinker with stuff.
so installing a hard disk should be no problemo...
for the uninitiated,
we even upload a step-by-step guide online to install your hard disk!
our aim is to provide the cheapest and best storage solution for dcam users...

and yes, we have confirmed with the manufacturer...
together with them, we will provide 1 year limited warranty on the image tank locally!
and yes, we are in for the long haul...

and that is why we are also renting out the sets for those who do not forsee themselves using it more than once a year...

and yes, there is a one year warranty on portable hard disks you buy at sim lim...

to get the image tank for $249
you can call rayner at 96917440

hurry, cos there are limited sets!

thanks!
arnold

I'm planning to get it only by end of next month... since me and my family are planning to go KL by March.

When are you buying? :)

Hi Pinoy...

think probably get it next month as well as I am going to Taiwan on 17th Feb so I might need it sooner than I think. As for installing the harddisk myself... I a bit rusty since the last hard disk I installed was about 2 years ago and I have never handled a laptop harddisk before...:D

so are you going to self install or ask them to do it?

ohhh very nice of firefish to clarify our doubts about the warranty

Hi Pinoy...

think probably get it next month as well as I am going to Taiwan on 17th Feb so I might need it sooner than I think. As for installing the harddisk myself... I a bit rusty since the last hard disk I installed was about 2 years ago and I have never handled a laptop harddisk before...:D

so are you going to self install or ask them to do it?

ohhh very nice of firefish to clarify our doubts about the warranty
Looks like you need to buy it earlier than me. Good luck, and let us know what you think of it, ok? :) I'd be getting mine 25th at the earliest. :)

Just checked imagetank.com.sg's website... seems that installing the hard disk is straighforward.. so I'd most likely install it myself... save myself $10 as well. :)

Hi all,

we are left with 4 units of the Image Tank...
we are selling it for S$240 only for pple in this forum and hwz forum as an introductory price...
we will not be selling it at this price after
this wednesday (20 feb 2002)
because we will officially launch the image tank...
which will then cost S$259
if all goes well, look out for our review in comptimes on this wednesday!

if you still want one, please give rayner a call @ 96917440.

thanks!
arnold

Status
Not open for further replies.