How much is the cheapest PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
What is the lowest cost-effective price to buy a PC with the barest specs? .... Probably juz use it to surf the internet, emails and probably to do simple words/excel ... and nothing more....:think:
No monitor needed.
OS ... XP home edition ... good enough?

eh friend go get some second hand p3. It can do the job.
current pc is p3 running window 98 .... when surfing, many softwares cant update... like Acrobat reader 7.o, even thumb drive/card reader also cant read, etc... :sweat: guess it is time to buy a new cheap pc for surfing....

current pc is p3 running window 98 .... when surfing, many softwares cant update... like Acrobat reader 7.o, even thumb drive/card reader also cant read, etc... :sweat: guess it is time to buy a new cheap pc for surfing....

consider a reformat.
it does wonders :)

for such a low spec and brand new one:

(1) casing with power supply - $70
(2) motherboard with onboard graphics, sound, usb etc. - $130
(3) cd-rom - i think u dun need la, take from old com
(4) harddisk - if buy 40gb - arnd $90 or can take from old comp
(5) Ram - maybe get 256mb - the ddr266 or 333 - Arnd $50
(6) processor - get a low end celeron - maybe $70?

i dun think u need anything else already rite?
Thus maybe minimum = 70 + 130 + 50 + 70 = $320

consider a reformat.
it does wonders :)
Somehow, technology is such that a lot of new accessories, versions, softwares, updates, drivers, new hardwares, etc are not compatible with the old hardware/OS. etc...
I wonder whether $400 can buy me a decent PC (without monitor) coz i see that some low end DELL is selling only around $650+ with monitor?:sweat:

at least a Window XP Home .....

Hi Canonised,

I have an old celeron pc that runs on win98SE. This celeron was slower than the Pentium 3 and it should be at least 5 years old.

I'm using Internet Explorer 6 for surfing, Ms Words for word processing, it can read thumbdrives and card readers etc but drivers need to be installed. It can even "burnt" cd thru an external CD writer.

Maybe you should reformat the HDD, as suggested by XC Pictorial. Do consider upping the RAM, as mine has about 300+MB Ram.

Also the surfing speed is not an issue, as I using one of the faster broadband.

Cheers.

Go FOSS! Get Ubuntu/OpenSUSE and install Oo_O in it :D

I have an extra Compaq P3-667 with original Win2k....sell you at Karong guni price if you self collect at Seng Kang area :D

No monitor or LCD??:bsmilie:

Today's newspaper got this NEC Pentium 4 + Win XP Home (without monitor) for $599 with keyboard, mouse, CD Rom, etc.. Think this is quite a good deal ...:thumbsup:

Today's newspaper got this NEC Pentium 4 + Win XP Home (without monitor) for $599 with keyboard, mouse, CD Rom, etc.. Think this is quite a good deal ...:thumbsup:

A good deal for what you need. And maybe you can try Firefox (internet surfing) and Open Office (for word and excel) as they don't take up too much resources compare to MS products like IE and MS Office 2003.

I just reformat my PC and stopped using IE, Windows media player and Office to rid the 'slowness' had build up:(

Saw today paper both Acer (Running on AMD) or NEC (530 P4 3.06 GHz) both selling at 599 without monitor. I think is quite cheap already...

try to increase your ram to 512mb to speed up the system., get 2nd hand sdram, the new one cost more than those DDR...

can't update software possible due to new hardware n software has no more w98 support, i guess..

btw am still using athlon 1.4g since end 2000 till now..ya open photo is slower i guess but i dun compare or see to my fren one so i stll think that is nom lor when come to pic lor..;)

Cheapest can get.
But you want brand new or not?

I tried before..

Go to SLS and ask those shops which are located near stairs area.
Tell them budget is $600 with XP home and they can give you a deal.
Tell them budget $400 with XP home and they also can give you a deal!!
Of cos brand new parts but maybe outdated or simply a normal use PC meant for internet or office work.

Status
Not open for further replies.