How much is a AIS Nikon 85mm F1.4 worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtledude

Apr 16, 2004
Northern SG
how much would you guy pay for such a lens? is it good for portrait shots? Can this lens work in P or A mode on a F80/100? Thanks!

not sure about current resale value, but yes it's good for portraits. and no it can't work in P/S/A modes with any AF cams. can only use in M mode, and without metering.

Larry said:
not sure about current resale value, but yes it's good for portraits. and no it can't work in P/S/A modes with any AF cams. can only use in M mode, and without metering.

I believe it will work in A mode for some AF bodies such as F801, as I used to use my F801s with AI and AIS lenses in A mode.

I guess the key is, does F80/100 come with the mecahnical coupling ring around the lens mount to detect the setting of the aperture ring on the lens? If it does then it will work in A mode for AI/AIS lenses, otherwise it can only work in M mode.

Anyway I think 85mm focal length is a good focal length for portraits, even though I personally prefer slightly longer focal length (>105mm). That's why the AF 85mm f/1.8 worked very well for me on a DSLR, due to the cropping factor.

I believe the 85 f/1.4 AIS lens in good condition will be priced about S$850 in the second-hand camera stores.

if the aperture is set from cam body, like say F50, then the lens won't work in any mode, right?

not sure how the F80/100 works though.

If you are using this on a camera like the F80 / D100 / D70 you will be stuck with manual mode and no metering.

On a camera like the F100 / D1X you can use A/M modes with centre weighted and spot metering. If the camera is set to matrix metering it will default to centre weighted.

turtledude said:
how much would you guy pay for such a lens? is it good for portrait shots? Can this lens work in P or A mode on a F80/100? Thanks!

It work meter (but only centre weighted and spot) in M and A modes on the F100. It won't meter at all on the F80 and you can only use M mode.

It has a good reputation as an excellent lens for portraits.

But isn't the F80 and F100 metering system the same? if F100 can meter then why F80 cannot?

wzmivan said:
But isn't the F80 and F100 metering system the same? if F100 can meter then why F80 cannot?

It has nothing to do with the metering system. The F100 and equivalent or higher Nikon bodies (F5, D1, D1X, D2H as well as some older AF cameras) has a little tab around the ring mount to allow AI/AIS lenses to communicate the aperture to the camera body. New lens do not need to use this tab (indeed look at the new series of G, DX lenses which don't come with an aperture ring).

This physical difference is the only thing standing between metering with an older lens on your camera or not. Of course, you can always have your AI/AIS lenses chipped... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.