How much does a good ND filter cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
never use filter before, but might consider to try a ND filter for a start..

and in order to put it in front of my SLR, i need a mount right? how much does it cost?

inputs needed :cool:

thanks ;)

If you had never used a filter before(I hope u had used a UV/skyligth filter), the 1st few more useful filter would be polariser, warm, and diffuser.

I would like to know abt the cost of ND filter myself too.

Originally posted by binbeto
If you had never used a filter before(I hope u had used a UV/skyligth filter), the 1st few more useful filter would be polariser, warm, and diffuser.

I would like to know abt the cost of ND filter myself too.

i have UV/skylight filter.. and such polariser, warm, diffuser, ND are those round type which i can just screw onto the lens is it?

cos at first i thought such filters are rectangular slot in type that needs a mount. hehe... ;p

Originally posted by behyx

i have UV/skylight filter.. and such polariser, warm, diffuser, ND are those round type which i can just screw onto the lens is it?

cos at first i thought such filters are rectangular slot in type that needs a mount. hehe... ;p

Yes. Polariser is those "screw-in" type. warm, diffuser and ND exits in both format.

Think those rectangle type is primarily Cokin brand. They have all sort of funny filter... Even one that put a rainbow in ur pic. Hee hee.

Yes. Polariser is those "screw-in" type. warm, diffuser and ND exits in both format.

Think those rectangle type is primarily Cokin brand. They have all sort of funny filter... Even one that put a rainbow in ur pic. Hee hee.

haha! so in general, screw-in or rectangular type is better?

you'll be surprised, but most screw in types are also made from plastic.

cost often depends on thread size/brand/special features like muti-coating, ultra-thin etc..

Screw in type is generally better as the rectangle one is plastic.

ok thanks rochkoh, but on average, how much does 1 package (polariser, warm, diffuser, ND, etc) screw-in type cost?

:gbounce:

Yea ND would not have much use...unless u need really slow shutter in day time. Otherwise PL would be a good filter to own. Hoya Cir PL costs around $30 at Cathay.

Originally posted by Jonny
Yea ND would not have much use...unless u need really slow shutter in day time. Otherwise PL would be a good filter to own. Hoya Cir PL costs around $30 at Cathay.

what does PL do?

PLs cut reflections, creates "bluer" skies, "greener" greens...

Search the threads lots of discussion on it. Can't really go into depth in just one post.

why no one answer the main question ?

How much does a good ND filter cost?
I got mine HOYA 58mm ND 4 for $11-$14 ( forget the actual price ... 1 year ago ) at CP

ok thanks guys! :)

Originally posted by behyx
ok thanks guys! :)

To add on, the price of the filters varies accrroding to threat size (e.g. 58mm, 77mm, etc).
The bigger the threat size, the more expense it is.

Not mentioning the kind of coating, the brand and etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.