How much do you charge for an AD wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazzer

May 5, 2007
BUKIT PANJANG
As stated in the Title as i wish to find out how much most people are charging

lets say maybe 100 4r prints with basic editing and about 10 hours of coverage

generally wedding photogs give 300 4R prints plus morning to night coverage for at least $400...at least thts how much someone i noe used to charge for....

probably u shud charge with these in mind

the 10 hours on work u put in for their actual day
the editing work u put in after their actual day
the photos u intending to give them

factor all these in and see how much u are earning per hour...maybe then u'll see better light to how much to charge ur clients....all the best to u

Prices can be deceiving. I hate to be blunt here but I will.

Recently a friend of mine engaged a photographer, supposedly well-recommended and he's featured somewhere here and elsewhere. Of cos, sorry, can't reveal the name. His price is about what you will think is reasonable of that sort of calibre.

Before the wedding, he was friendly and all that. All emails were promptly replied. When the deposit had been paid, it was difficult to reach him. Unreplied emails, etc.

The shots turned out generally ok, but from what I see, there were unpardonable technical mistakes that I wouldn't make myself as a non-pro.

And in case you believe in the "WPJA" label, I'd say forget it. I've encountered 2 phtographers who are WPJA members. Their shots look nice on their website, but when it comes to a personal shoot, it ain't fantastic.

I'm not sure about this WPJA thingy, but I suspect you just take your best shots and submit for application? That's the problem if it is. BEST shots. Surely everyone has some Best shots in a wedding but if the overall is nothing fantastic then what's the point?

So if you want to be ethical, price it based on what you feel your couples deserve. And make sure you deliver the job as promised.

Great benchmark..:thumbsup:

But then if all charge like tat:sweat:..siao liao..less couples getting married liao..:bsmilie:
people don't get married because of photographers.

people will still get married whether good or bad economy, with or without photographers.

Morning & Evening (10 hrs shoot)
300 4R print in an ablum.
All images touch up and return back..

$650 dollars....

Recently a friend of mine engaged a photographer, supposedly well-recommended and he's featured somewhere here and elsewhere. Of cos, sorry, can't reveal the name. His price is about what you will think is reasonable of that sort of calibre.

Before the wedding, he was friendly and all that. All emails were promptly replied. When the deposit had been paid, it was difficult to reach him. Unreplied emails, etc.

The shots turned out generally ok, but from what I see, there were unpardonable technical mistakes that I wouldn't make myself as a non-pro.

And in case you believe in the "WPJA" label, I'd say forget it. I've encountered 2 phtographers who are WPJA members. Their shots look nice on their website, but when it comes to a personal shoot, it ain't fantastic.

I'm not sure about this WPJA thingy, but I suspect you just take your best shots and submit for application? That's the problem if it is. BEST shots. Surely everyone has some Best shots in a wedding but if the overall is nothing fantastic then what's the point?

So if you want to be ethical, price it based on what you feel your couples deserve. And make sure you deliver the job as promised.
if you would hire the top wedding photographer in Sg, does not mean your own wedding photos will exactly look as good as what the photographer show in his website.

each wedding couple is different, no photographers will able to guarantee the couple will look fantastic before the shoot, and also no photographers able to guarantee 100% good shots.

But, nevertheless, the pros can ensure the couple that 99% of the shots are usable.

what mistakes?

Morning & Evening (10 hrs shoot)
300 4R print in an ablum.
All images touch up and return back..

$650 dollars....

expenditure
4R $0.30 each, 300pcs is $90.00
album is $28.00
CD/DVD is $1.00
Jewel case is $0.50
transport cost: never count
depreciation and upkeep of equipment: $100 per wedding
total cost: $219.50

time spent
editing:2mins per image (300images), total:10 hours
selection of 300 images for x number of images, 30mins
download images of whole day wedding: 15mins
shooting hours: 10 hours
transport time: 2 hours
meeting: 1 hour
emails:15mins
total time spent: 24 hours

Sale is $650 minus $219.50, you have $430.50 gross profit for this assignment.

You spent 24 hours on this assignment, so you make $17.94 per hour. :)

if you would hire the top wedding photographer in Sg, does not mean your own wedding photos will exactly look as good as what the photographer show in his website.

each wedding couple is different, no photographers will able to guarantee the couple will look fantastic before the shoot, and also no photographers able to guarantee 100% good shots.

But, nevertheless, the pros can ensure the couple that 99% of the shots are usable.

How do you know how "bad" the shots are when I did not reveal them?

Anyway, I disagree with your first statement. If the photos will not look as good as what is shown on the website then what's the point of enganging the top photographer? Don't even need to talk about Singapore, but the world's best. The client pays big money, the standards must be achieved. Otherwise, why do clients waste time looking at portfolios?

Of course I don't mean you will expect to look like a Tom Cruise just because the engaged photographer have taken shots of him. Neither is it that the couple's smiles or background will be as nice as that featured in the websites.

But I'm referring to the technical aspects. That's the most basic one can ever expect of a pro photographer.

Based on what i see, I think most couples who have no knowledge in photography will accept the images. I have seen my colleagues' reaction at their own pictures and they go like "Wah, I like them!" I'm like, Ermmm.. *silence* There's inaccuracy in colour balance and composition so-so and stuffs like that.

Moreover, with digital, even though photographers return the high res images, I'm not sure if many bother to open them. And if they do, it's probably just at small sizes. They are more interested in the final prints.

For my friend's case, problem is, when you print those images out, they look all right. But when you pixel peep, you will see the flaws. Compostion looks all right. But technically, not how I would shoot. I suspect with digital, there is a boom in photographers and I'm not sure where they get their training from. Some of their works do not conform to what good photography should. And it's more surprising when they are WPJA members.

I wish I could divulge more, but I won't jeopardize the photographer's reputation here. For those interested, maybe you can PM me and I will ask my friend if he's willing to share with you more. In fact, he dearly wants to find out if it's normal for a pro wedding photographer to take shots like that after I pointed out to him the flaws.

AD coverage is an event photography, it's unfair to pixel peep. :) Most shots will not get print larger than 8R anyway.

The key point is that couples are quite forgiving to composition. My wedding package, as long as faces are well exposured and key moments (candid & tears) are captured, that's 90% job done. My photographer did some fancy ones when the time permits.

If white balance tends towards yellow (not cyan), then it's also acceptable. I paid $1k for 2 days (ROM + AD); I'll strongly recommend him to anyone who needs photographer.

Maybe a guide/handbook for couples on what to expect would help to educate them and help raise standards. Just my 2 cents.

my point is
many wedding couples came to photographers with some kinds of misconception, either want their wedding to be super unique, every photos suppose to be an award wining photo.

or want to look exactly like so and so's wedding photos.

anyway, both type of expectation are not gonne happen.

I initially think it could be another case happen lately, a CSer complaint about a wedding photographer assigned to him by the wedding shop, didn't use pro grade lens, didn't know about shooting raw, and all the photos are so so, kind of thing.

so for your friends case, anything can be happen, I don't know, unless you can tell me more about it later.

Oh, what a coincident. I have just posted something similar to the topic being discussed:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4297029&posted=1#post4297029

catchlights, do you mind providing a link to the incident you mentioned about the bridal shop screwing up the shots? Mine is definitely not from a bridal studio.

coffee3in1, wow, your photographer charged cheap. Mine is a lot more but I'm ok with the price if he had produced more quality in the shots.

Oh, what a coincident. I have just posted something similar to the topic being discussed:

catchlights, do you mind providing a link to the incident you mentioned about the bridal shop screwing up the shots? Mine is definitely not from a bridal studio.

coffee3in1, wow, your photographer charged cheap. Mine is a lot more but I'm ok with the price if he had produced more quality in the shots.
To me, the photographer didn't screw up anything, just that customer has too high expectation on a lowend wedding day photographer
LOUSY wedding photography

MY wife did a good bargain on him, mah. ;)

After that, I saw a friend who is also a professional wedding photographer. His style is totally different. He is very hands-on. Super friendly, helps to ra-ra the people into smiling and takes group pictures. His rates are a bit higher, but i see value in his services. Especially in keeping with the momentum and mood of things.

I'm not sure if it's ok to put their websites here, so I err on the cautious side. If anyone is keen, PM me. I'm glad to share more with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.