How much do you charge for a magazine shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think $150 per page with minimum page of 8-10 pages is still low.

I would donate this kinda of assignment to another photographer if the rate is like that. So far I am getting a better deal that what the market is getting. Not worth doing it at all if it's this price. Plus it's harder to collect your money as well.

Whatever silly clause you put up, you will still get your money very late. I have waited one payment........18 months...... freaking 18 months! The earliest ever i got was 3 months after the shoot. This are reputable magazines..........sad.

Best is always to work with direct clients. Magazine and design house (if you do not know them well) will delay their payment as long as they can.

I still think $150 per page with minimum page of 8-10 pages is still low.

I would donate this kinda of assignment to another photographer if the rate is like that. So far I am getting a better deal that what the market is getting. Not worth doing it at all if it's this price. Plus it's harder to collect your money as well.

Whatever silly clause you put up, you will still get your money very late. I have waited one payment........18 months...... freaking 18 months! The earliest ever i got was 3 months after the shoot. This are reputable magazines..........sad.

Best is always to work with direct clients. Magazine and design house (if you do not know them well) will delay their payment as long as they can.

well they told me they had had someone else lined up who was willing to work for $100 or less, saying that his portfolio was professional as well. So i told them go with the guy lor since they think so highly of him. I'm not going to work for below the market rate and then hurt my reputation for future work and trap myself and other photographers with a low rate. That point you mention about slow payments...that's BS and unprofessional...can you PM me and tell me what mag it was so i can avoid them like the plague?

well they told me they had had someone else lined up who was willing to work for $100 or less, saying that his portfolio was professional as well. So i told them go with the guy lor since they think so highly of him. I'm not going to work for below the market rate and then hurt my reputation for future work and trap myself and other photographers with a low rate. That point you mention about slow payments...that's BS and unprofessional...can you PM me and tell me what mag it was so i can avoid them like the plague?

They always BS as well about some photographer who is willing to pay S**T low amount. If they are, they would not have even ask for you. Just imagine, going lower than $100.....wah lau.

Hahaha.....think hard......BIG Local Reputable Magazine names......they are all slow. So far I have not met ONE with 1 month credit payment. There aren't really many local fashion mags in the market......hehe.:bsmilie: So I think you should be able to guess.

I only deal with DIRECT clients nowadays. I never like to work with any design or publishing house unless i know them very well. And I give them option to pay up within one month if not legal action will be taken. So far I did not call my lawyer as yet.:bsmilie:

Guys just wondering how much you'd charge for a mag shoot. Any infor would be helpful and appreciated...

Garou,

Sigh. the rate is very low in Singapore. Sometimes the front cover page is less than $300.

People would always ask.. huh so slow, why people still want to shoot.
Answer: Portfolio.

Singapore Mag publishers i think its around the quantity of fingers you have or less.

The 2 big brothers in Singapore: SPH & Mediacorp publishing house.

i have ask before some fashion photographers, is it worth to do on the charges they quote? Their reply is mostly the "charge is not the issue" its the portfolio they can help you to build, where you can find your returns from there.

1 give me a good example, "Mate, just imagine Vogue would want you to shoot, even i have to pay i will do it. In fact most or all high end fashion Photoks are not just willing but eagerly wanted to do it for Vogue" So i starting to understand usually for publisher the charges is not high. I mean i may be wrong. Please correct me if i am.

Singapore publisher charge is rather a little bit lower as the market is not very much competitive.

i would encourage you to do the shoot for any mag publisher that have ask you to do regardless on the charges. Gain popularity, your returns may even hits jobs in the overseas :)

Don't talk about the $ with them initially. buildup the relationship with them

I mean in the end all i want to say is "Recognition"

They always BS as well about some photographer who is willing to pay S**T low amount. If they are, they would not have even ask for you. Just imagine, going lower than $100.....wah lau.

Hahaha.....think hard......BIG Local Reputable Magazine names......they are all slow. So far I have not met ONE with 1 month credit payment. There aren't really many local fashion mags in the market......hehe.:bsmilie: So I think you should be able to guess.

I only deal with DIRECT clients nowadays. I never like to work with any design or publishing house unless i know them very well. And I give them option to pay up within one month if not legal action will be taken. So far I did not call my lawyer as yet.:bsmilie:

Bro,

Its true la what you have mention. But if you demand on hard on them. They have a list of Photographers who willing to do it for them. They even have Big names like Wee Kim or Chuando etc.

Shake hand in hand with them, build your charisma with them, they build your portfolio more easier and faster than others.

Just imagine you threw your portfolio which is all the mag that u have shoot, Cover shoot even better. Your returns & faith from your clients, trust me skyhigh. Well ur charges :D u know of cos an increment occur lor.

Think hard... BIG Local Reputable Magazine names - i take bazaar & Her World for an example, they are reputable in here & think how many peoples are looking at this magazines. its just like your work is place almost everywhere.

Even you feel a satisfactory, when you walk past a newspaper kiosk & saw someone buying that mag that you shoot its front cover. Why, because its not the content sometimes, its the cover that pulls the reader to grab one then the contents speaks.

yea but for one thing its not even one of the big reputable mag...its an independent mag. Don't get me wrong i don't mind doing things for portfolio purposes, but i already have enough for that and the reality of it we need money to survive. doing a shoot at that amount not only puts me at a loss because the cost of studio rental alone puts me in the red. Also taking the job at such a low price also ends up hurting not just my reputation (later want to ask for higher rate will be difficult) but the market as well. I'm very disappointed to hear that the mags here don't even pay on time...that's why i asked Godzilla if it was a reputable one as well. Shows how unprofessional they are and its hypocritical that they execise such a standard and then expect us to be professional with them

yea but for one thing its not even one of the big reputable mag...its an independent mag. Don't get me wrong i don't mind doing things for portfolio purposes, but i already have enough for that and the reality of it we need money to survive. doing a shoot at that amount not only puts me at a loss because the cost of studio rental alone puts me in the red. Also taking the job at such a low price also ends up hurting not just my reputation (later want to ask for higher rate will be difficult) but the market as well. I'm very disappointed to hear that the mags here don't even pay on time...that's why i asked Godzilla if it was a reputable one as well. Shows how unprofessional they are and its hypocritical that they execise such a standard and then expect us to be professional with them

Haha, true la. But they don't really bother, to say that they take things for grated in the situation, they do actually. As for those independent mag, hmm i'm not sure whether are they belongs to the big publisher or its still been publish from the same factory, like SPH or Mediacorps. Its like back to square one. Cos you may still be dealing under the same publisher that is so "Stingy".

Haha, true la. But they don't really bother, to say that they take things for grated in the situation, they do actually. As for those independent mag, hmm i'm not sure whether are they belongs to the big publisher or its still been publish from the same factory, like SPH or Mediacorps. Its like back to square one. Cos you may still be dealing under the same publisher that is so "Stingy".

you know since they actually hire out the photog work the photographers should form a union and collective negotiate so the publishers cannot take advantage and act stingy.

Bro,

Its true la what you have mention. But if you demand on hard on them. They have a list of Photographers who willing to do it for them. They even have Big names like Wee Kim or Chuando etc.

Shake hand in hand with them, build your charisma with them, they build your portfolio more easier and faster than others.

Just imagine you threw your portfolio which is all the mag that u have shoot, Cover shoot even better. Your returns & faith from your clients, trust me skyhigh. Well ur charges :D u know of cos an increment occur lor.

Think hard... BIG Local Reputable Magazine names - i take bazaar & Her World for an example, they are reputable in here & think how many peoples are looking at this magazines. its just like your work is place almost everywhere.

Even you feel a satisfactory, when you walk past a newspaper kiosk & saw someone buying that mag that you shoot its front cover. Why, because its not the content sometimes, its the cover that pulls the reader to grab one then the contents speaks.

If they have a list of photographers, by all means go ahead. Not too worried about that.

I know where you are coming from. When thru all that S**T 10 years ago. Will not go through anymore. It's torturing.....plus nowadays they are more demanding. Give them an inch, they want a yard.

I know about all this marketing yourself, names on magazine and so on. It works only temporary. It's a temp solution to fame.......short live fame which I do not need. What I need is for them to PAY our fees on higher amount and on time. I am sure you are also one that needs $$$$$ to feed your wife, kids, mom and so on right?

Swallow your pride? Well yes and no......Wee Khim and Chuando have good connection (if you know the trade well) but it's not easy. It's a sleazy world when it comes to work for Fashion Magazines. Politics in the Fashion world is bad......one minute you are poured with tons of assignments but if your rapport fails or reject some shoots, you are back to square one. Yes you manage to cash in a few sets of portfolio but we are talking about Fashion! It changes all the time. Chuando use to be a model turn photographer, so his connection is very very good.

Which photographer would not want to work for mag like Vogue (well not Singapore edition lar as it's crap), I would also don't mind paying for my own airfare if I was shooting for British edition Vogue (yes over there is just as sleazy as over here....haha). I use to have a friend who works for Vogue (British edition). He says photographers are paid well and will get their $$$ in one month's time.

Anyway, there are various areas of photography which we can explore. Some loves fashion, some love landscape and some just love food photography. If the photographer knows the trade well and willing to sacrifice, by all means go ahead.

If they have a list of photographers, by all means go ahead. Not too worried about that.

I know where you are coming from. When thru all that S**T 10 years ago. Will not go through anymore. It's torturing.....plus nowadays they are more demanding. Give them an inch, they want a yard.

I know about all this marketing yourself, names on magazine and so on. It works only temporary. It's a temp solution to fame.......short live fame which I do not need. What I need is for them to PAY our fees on higher amount and on time. I am sure you are also one that needs $$$$$ to feed your wife, kids, mom and so on right?

Swallow your pride? Well yes and no......Wee Khim and Chuando have good connection (if you know the trade well) but it's not easy. It's a sleazy world when it comes to work for Fashion Magazines. Politics in the Fashion world is bad......one minute you are poured with tons of assignments but if your rapport fails or reject some shoots, you are back to square one. Yes you manage to cash in a few sets of portfolio but we are talking about Fashion! It changes all the time. Chuando use to be a model turn photographer, so his connection is very very good.

Which photographer would not want to work for mag like Vogue (well not Singapore edition lar as it's crap), I would also don't mind paying for my own airfare if I was shooting for British edition Vogue (yes over there is just as sleazy as over here....haha). I use to have a friend who works for Vogue (British edition). He says photographers are paid well and will get their $$$ in one month's time.

Anyway, there are various areas of photography which we can explore. Some loves fashion, some love landscape and some just love food photography. If the photographer knows the trade well and willing to sacrifice, by all means go ahead.

whole heartedly agree with everything you said you. We should talk. Mind if i pm?

Sigh......the amount they give is terrible. Want a $2000 quality but pay only $150 to $300. On top of that, delay payment.

Should be a give and take situation. Want cheap, want fresh and want to delay. If you want cheap, payment should be instant.

My direct client knows that photographers are human too. They know we don't get fixed incomes all the time. So, my set of clients will pay me within a month and sometimes immediately after the shoot. Now that is the type of clients I love! Plus if they do ask for extra favours (like shooting a family portraits, I will charge them at a special discounted price)

Don't they know we need to feed our families.

The problem is as what Garou have mention, got to get unity against them. then they will feel the confrontation.

"I know where you are coming from" Oh btw don't get me wrong, i'm not from any of the publishing firms

yes a union of sorts would be good.
the modelling agencies did something like that also to ensure a fixed minimum rate for different fields of modelling work
the closest we have is the PPAS but I'm not sure whether they lobby for such things for photographers.

yes a union of sorts would be good.
the modelling agencies did something like that also to ensure a fixed minimum rate for different fields of modelling work
the closest we have is the PPAS but I'm not sure whether they lobby for such things for photographers.

should set up and do something like that.

should set up and do something like that.

Actually more it's difficult for photographers to combine as a union. Models are slightly easier due to they go through an agency.

For us, we have more individuals photographers. We do not really need to go through an agency to get a job. Jobs are mostly hunted or recommended directly.

I think you know what I mean. Not all photographers will agree to a standard minimum rate as our rates varies.

What is the correct rates? Is there really something we can do? Who is going to standardized the rates plus keep track on the studios in Singapore they are not undercutting one another? There are so many questions but no answers to it. I would really love to have at least a standard rating system for our fees but then again, not all will agree to it.

I know myself I charge a minimum day rate of $2,500. I will not compromise any lower than this because I need to feed plenty of mouths. There are some photographers who charge $500 per day, some $5000 per day....how to balance it?

Actually more it's difficult for photographers to combine as a union. Models are slightly easier due to they go through an agency.

For us, we have more individuals photographers. We do not really need to go through an agency to get a job. Jobs are mostly hunted or recommended directly.

I think you know what I mean. Not all photographers will agree to a standard minimum rate as our rates varies.

What is the correct rates? Is there really something we can do? Who is going to standardized the rates plus keep track on the studios in Singapore they are not undercutting one another? There are so many questions but no answers to it. I would really love to have at least a standard rating system for our fees but then again, not all will agree to it.

I know myself I charge a minimum day rate of $2,500. I will not compromise any lower than this because I need to feed plenty of mouths. There are some photographers who charge $500 per day, some $5000 per day....how to balance it?

i sent you a story.

Sorry to intrude upon the conversation. I'm not doing fashion or deal with magazines, but the discussion got me thinking:

I thought there are 2 pretty feasible possibility even for commercial photographers. The first is to set up a dedicated agency to represent the accepted photographers who run their own individual business, and any booking has to be done through the agency. There could be more than one agency in the industry. But within each agency, each photographer still command his or her own rate. Buyers shop based on stylistic needs and preferences, and the photographers don't have to compete based on prices.

The next possibility is to have photographers to be represented by agents. The agents help to market, network and yes, ensure prompt payment. I think just this 3 job functions is enough to entice the photographer to give up a small piece of the pie. Any booking of the photographer has to go through their agents. These agents, in turn, form the membership of an agency for professional exchange and setting of industrial standards.

For both mechanisms, even if jobs are landed through word of mouth, clients still need to go through the agents. So some kind of industrial standards is maintained. This set of standards can include minimum prices.

I thought both possibilities are pretty viable, because there's isn't an overwhelming number of photographers in this market. But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry to intrude upon the conversation. I'm not doing fashion or deal with magazines, but the discussion got me thinking:

I thought there are 2 pretty feasible possibility even for commercial photographers. The first is to set up a dedicated agency to represent the accepted photographers who run their own individual business, and any booking has to be done through the agency. There could be more than one agency in the industry. But within each agency, each photographer still command his or her own rate. Buyers shop based on stylistic needs and preferences, and the photographers don't have to compete based on prices.

The next possibility is to have photographers to be represented by agents. The agents help to market, network and yes, ensure prompt payment. I think just this 3 job functions is enough to entice the photographer to give up a small piece of the pie. Any booking of the photographer has to go through their agents. These agents, in turn, form the membership of an agency for professional exchange and setting of industrial standards.

For both mechanisms, even if jobs are landed through word of mouth, clients still need to go through the agents. So some kind of industrial standards is maintained. This set of standards can include minimum prices.

I thought both possibilities are pretty viable, because there's isn't an overwhelming number of photographers in this market. But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes and no on the numbers of photographers in the market. Too many Toms, Dicks and Harrys wannabees.

We will just settle for the working photographers (those who works in this industry for their bread and butter) for now. And yes, it's only a handful which are maintaining at the moment with their own studio.

I know before that there would be studios inviting photographers to work like a partnership. Meaning, you use my studio for free but any customers that you bring in, you will have to share with me. I am not sure if this is still practice in some studios.

It seems feasible on what you suggested but the most important is, who is willing to start this? Unless I give up my line of work and be an agent........haha. On a serious note, i know it will be hard at first but unless someone (most probably someone who knows the industry well ). It's not only about making it happen but maintaining it will be a challenge.

Actually, it's not about the fashion industry only. It's happening to any forms of photography.

Yes and no on the numbers of photographers in the market. Too many Toms, Dicks and Harrys wannabees.

We will just settle for the working photographers (those who works in this industry for their bread and butter) for now. And yes, it's only a handful which are maintaining at the moment with their own studio.

I know before that there would be studios inviting photographers to work like a partnership. Meaning, you use my studio for free but any customers that you bring in, you will have to share with me. I am not sure if this is still practice in some studios.

It seems feasible on what you suggested but the most important is, who is willing to start this? Unless I give up my line of work and be an agent........haha. On a serious note, i know it will be hard at first but unless someone (most probably someone who knows the industry well ). It's not only about making it happen but maintaining it will be a challenge.

Actually, it's not about the fashion industry only. It's happening to any forms of photography.

Without close analysis of the industry and doing adequate data collection, off-handedly, I think the suggestions will be more viable for the industry that has a smaller number of active working photographers, so I thought it might actually be feasible for the fashion photography industry. As I do weddings, I initially played with the idea and envision what it would be like. But the sheer number of photographers would be immense for coordination and benchmarking. Plus the margin for bulk of the photographers does not seem like it's ready to give up a cut.

You're absolutely right about who's going to make it work. The proposal is not like some kind of voluntary/feel good-do it for the community kind of proposal. It is actually one of profit making, like any other representative agency industries. And if the number is small, the cut assigned to this agency can actually be the savings from the reduction of wastage from price competition. Do any of us have contacts with marketing specialists who are keen to ride on this money making opportunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.