How much can you believe what you read in the net?

It is a norm now before you buy a piece of equipment you'll do a research on net.

But anyone can post a review online including a team of marketers hired by the manufaturers to give themselves great reports. Who can you trust and which report can you believe?

I bought a Sigma 18-50 mm F2.8 lens after doing my due delligence on the net. But I found out it was not as great a lens as what those reviews made it out to be.

Last edited:

hanzohattori

Apr 16, 2010
Quality/result wise or handling? I think for lenses, its still possible to have an adequate assessment as long as reviewers provide image results, in raw if possible.

daredevil123

Staff member
Oct 25, 2005
lil red dot
Magazines are the same. Many claimed that they are tied in to advertising sales and revenue...

In the end....

kklee

Aug 13, 2004
Perhaps price vs performance?

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Depend on what I'm doing 'Research' of.... for camera and lense... most time its 55% (Web Review) to 45% (User review in forum)...

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
THIS MUCH

Yutaka Go

May 22, 2010
SG
Did the review said that the lens will make your GF look slimmer ??? :bsmilie:

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
I bought a Sigma 18-50 mm F2.8 lens after doing my due delligence on the net. But I found out it was not as great a lens as what those reviews made it out to be.
A reviewer stated in the glowing review on Sigma lenses, that he was personally entertained by the Sigma (Japan) CEO and feted with an ultra expensive dinner; complete with Geishas. And that's only what he is allowed to put into print. What other inducements and rewards (if any) that he may have or may not have received, for saying Sigma lenses are good, that cannot be put into print and published - are unknown.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...ns-factory-precision-production-from-the-insi

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313564

Last edited:

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
But anyone can post a review online including a team of marketers hired by the manufaturers to give themselves great reports. Who can you trust and which report can you believe?
Find out who is the sponsor of the reviewed article. If it is 'genereoulsy provided' bu the manufacturer...
Other review sites get their items from private persons (photozone.de).

Top Bottom